Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Doom Movie, For Real This Time?

dsm said:

What the fuck are you smoking pal? In die hard he wasn't a stupid one-man-army who just stood in a doorway mowing down baddies with a machine gun - oh no, the action was more realistic with firefights and all.
What the Hell do you want, another cheesy Arnie movie?

Bruce Willis would be perfect, not only because he looks like taken straight out of the game, but because he's good at acting like a real badass.

And about Mel Gibson: It's not that I think he's a bad actor, but he's not good at acting like a badass, or at least not the right way - I just can't see him as a hard-as-nails marine with a shaved army cut and definitely not as the Doomguy.
I mean, Christ, he looks way too cute with those pretty blue eyes and all - the doomguy ain't meant to look good, he's a hardened combat vet.

I wasnt directly saying that he was mowing down bad guys. But the fact that he killed that many guys was highly unlikely. Plus, doom 3 isnt gonna be about mowing down bad guys!
this thread is getting way out of hand, were on page 5 now...

The movie, if in any way realistic, won't have the tempo of the game. In the game u'll run down corridors looking for shit to blow up cause its a game, in real life u'd be busier tryin to figure out what the fuck was going on.

Um, like, now a movie is or has to be like "real life"?

DivineError said:

I wasnt directly saying that he was mowing down bad guys. But the fact that he killed that many guys was highly unlikely. Plus, doom 3 isnt gonna be about mowing down bad guys!
this thread is getting way out of hand, were on page 5 now...

You're crazy!
Doom 3 not about mowing down baddies? Then what the hell would you say the player in the E3 presentation was doing??? Negotiating with the demons?
I dunno, to me it pretty much looked like he was killing zombies and monsters.
And the notion of a realistic Doom movie almost made me die laughing. The only way a Doom movie could be true to the game in any way would be to take the realistic one-man-army path, because that's what's ALL the Doom games were all about - anything else would suck hard because it wouldn't be Doomish. Period.

You want a movie about a marine that pulls out a white flag and calls a truce with the demons of Hell?
/Me rolls eyes.

Ok here is the Deal some of you Die hard doom fans who want the impossible to happen and the is that you get the same experience from the movie that you get from the game which is not possible. The reason for this is because one is a game and one is a movie. Second that is the reason most of you said the book suck which is not all that bad. So no matter what they do to the movie you will not like it period. Oh and for god sakes not Van F@#$! Diesal or what ever the fuck is name is he is as bad as an actor a The girl from destiny's child. Also I think it's between bruce willis and the guy who is playing in the movie called the Transporter.

Major Grit said:

Ok here is the Deal some of you Die hard doom fans who want the impossible to happen and the is that you get the same experience from the movie that you get from the game which is not possible. The reason for this is because one is a game and one is a movie. Second that is the reason most of you said the book suck which is not all that bad. So no matter what they do to the movie you will not like it period. Oh and for god sakes not Van F@#$! Diesal or what ever the fuck is name is he is as bad as an actor a The girl from destiny's child. Also I think it's between bruce willis and the guy who is playing in the movie called the Transporter.

Lemme make one thing clear, I do not expect the movie to feel like the game because, as you say, that's totally impossible, BUT they could make a great movie that has the basic plot and concepts in common with the games (this includes Doom 3 because Doom and Doom 2 don't have much of an ingame plotline) IF presented the right way.
Now, the reason why I moan about the present chain of events is that:
1. Hollywood is doing the movie and they have a tendency to turn movies into, if not shit then at least cheesy movies, and Doom does not need a cheesy movie based off of its greatness (jeez, that's about the LAST thing it "needs").
2. They are aiming at a PG-13 rating which means that it will be even father removed from the essence of the game than the idea of translating Doom to a movie already is - PG-13 means that there will be no Aliens horror atmosphere in the movie (and this was one thing that made Doom what it was - it's simply too essential an element to leave out to most of us) and I can tell that this atmosphere won't be in a PG-13 movie because Aliens was rated R and I wouldn't call it particularly bloody. Then it means no really bloody gore (like a great deal of us feel that there should be) - PG-13 makes it possible to have some gore, but not enough to satisfy the more bloodthirst of us.

I don't mean the movie hasta be real real, realistic... not impossible, the one man army thing like in the game is bullshit, think about when u play through the game how many times u get hit with bullets and fireballs and shit, how're u gonna have a guy do that in the movie? It'll be stupid. That doesn't mean there can't be a ton of monsters, and it doesn't mean that the guy needs to have backup, it means that you can't throw him into an impossible situation like some of the parts in the game.

The_Aeromaster said:

I don't mean the movie hasta be real real, realistic... not impossible, the one man army thing like in the game is bullshit, think about when u play through the game how many times u get hit with bullets and fireballs and shit, how're u gonna have a guy do that in the movie? It'll be stupid. That doesn't mean there can't be a ton of monsters, and it doesn't mean that the guy needs to have backup, it means that you can't throw him into an impossible situation like some of the parts in the game.

Well, the one-man-army thing will be the closest to the game because the game was all about being alone.
Of course the marine shouldn't be able to suck up vast amounts of damage silly - he should of course be good enough to avoiding the enemy attacks.
But saying that the one man army thing is bullshit is ...well, bullshit. It's the only way to make it feel remotely like Doom.

I hope ur not a guy, cause a guy addressing another guy as "silly" is just wrong. What I mean is, they should make the movie with the guy alone, but he will be against X monsters. They just haveta watch what value they put in that X... too many and the movie will be more like an advanced cartoon.

Ummmmm, The_Aeromaster, why do you post twice within the time span of not even one minute? If you're gunna post that close together, put them as one post not two... it saves me the effort of scrolling....Take this into consideration...

Also It doesn't matter on the length of the thread, no matter the ammount of time it has been around, imo.

dsm said:

Well, the one-man-army thing will be the closest to the game because the game was all about being alone.
Of course the marine shouldn't be able to suck up vast amounts of damage silly - he should of course be good enough to avoiding the enemy attacks.
But saying that the one man army thing is bullshit is ...well, bullshit. It's the only way to make it feel remotely like Doom.

play doom cooperative. its fun

Xian said:

play doom cooperative. its fun

Doom coop feels far less "realistic" than sp. Yeah, I tried it and it IS fun - just doesn't have the right feel.

Hey so do you think the guy who plays in the Transpoter will be a good Doom character. Because I think bruce willis is too old.

I dont really care who it is but I can just see Arnold standing with a big arse gun with blood and gore everywhere and hellspawn corpses as far as the eye can see....hehe I can see it, him yelling "get the hell outta my way you pansyarsebitch or I'll blow your arse into a million pieces"...it goes well with the accent and sum nice profanity imo >:D

sorry about the two post thing... after i post i usually think of something else... bruce willis ain't much older than arnold believe it or not, besides, arnold's too spiffy, u need scruffy lookin guy to play him... i said bruce willis but the doom guy is supposed to be really bulky, and bruce willis ain't that big... coop doom is def. kool, but indeed does not have the feel of sp, but i still say he should be alone in the movie... i was just trying to express that putting him alone against a trillion monsters would be stupid, they haveta make it reasonably believable. more like one-man-strike team than one-man army. D3 isn't gonna be as tunnel-visioned as the original, even though it is a retelling. Because D3 is gonna be more [Angel of Death music plays] realistic than the original.

Then lets fuse Arnold and Bruce together to form...Arnold Willis...He'll have the build of Arnold with the scruffiness of Willis, plus Arnold's accent, gotta love that accent :D

i said bruce willis but the doom guy is supposed to be really bulky, and bruce willis ain't that big

Well, the Doomguy doesn't look all that big in Doom 3 and believe me, Bruce Willis looks strong enough to take the role of a marine.

And about that one-man-army thing - I do not think the Doomguy should be alone throughout the whole movie (otherwise it'll be a given that it will suck), what I mean by a one-man-army approach is that he has to be badass capable of dishing out some pain to the baddies. Maybe make it so that he starts out alone, then he meets one or two survivors - they fight together and then the survivors die off, leaving the doomguy alone again (he preveails because he's more of a badass than all the others), he fights a while and comes across some more survivors which he sticks to until the end where he goes to Hell alone (either because the other survivors are prevented from following him or because they too are killed off).

What I DON'T want however is to have a whole squad of your-ordinary-marines who stick together throughout the whole movie - it'd make a cool movie, but it wouldn't be all that doomish if there isn't one particular hero among them, one badass that's a more proficient killer than the others.

And to Hell with whether it's realistic or not - Doom was never realistic.

Most of what DSM said there was right on, besides the realism thing, it hasta have some realism in the movie. That won't be hard to do and won't take away from the feeling, in fact if they do it right it'll add to it.

The_Aeromaster said:

Most of what DSM said there was right on, besides the realism thing, it hasta have some realism in the movie. That won't be hard to do and won't take away from the feeling, in fact if they do it right it'll add to it.

Right, but it'll still be far away from realism if there's one guy (the hero) who is as superior to his buddies as I like him to be, not to mention zombies, demons etc.