Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Weirdest/surprising game trivia you know

Got a weird trivia information about some game? Post it here! It's rather interesting to know some odd facts about a game.

One that still gets to me is that Doom could have been an Alien-liscensed game first before it became the demon-popping simulator we all know and love/hate.

No one hates Doom.

Stardew Valley was made by a dude over 5 years without a job mooching off his girlfriend. It worked out for them. They're now married.

The guy that made the shitty "Getting Over It" is a professor at the NYC Games Center.

It used to cost publishers $10,000 to update their game on XBox Live.

An artist randomly put out a request to have his art turned into a game and that game became Limbo.

The Crock game was supposed to be a Yoshi based 3D platformer before Nintendo pulled out.

Pro Wrestling X has spent 12 years in development and started as a forum bet. It really only had a game to show for it over the past 2 years.

Owl Boy spent 15 years in development.

Pac-Man was designed to appeal to women because everyone likes to eat.

Nintendo of America is or was the majority shareholder of the Seattle Mariners.

ET has 3 bugs.

Adventure is the first game to have an easter egg.

CastleVania 1 has aliases as developer names. I assume either because Konami didn't want to get sued by Universal for using their monsters or they feared getting them poached.

MegaMan 2 was programmed in the developers their spare time. Despite Mega Man 2 being the highest selling Mega Man, it's Capcom's 50th best selling game with 1.5 million units sold.

Mirror's Edge managed to beat the man with the copyright on the word Edge who then immediately lost the copyright.

Tetris 3 for N64 * I think * had to be pulled from store shelves because one of the programmers put some naughty message in the code, that didn't appear in the game.

The man (2 men) who made Tetris never made money on it for 20+ years due to Russia. Now they have a company that files lawsuits against any Tetris clone based on the size of the game board.

Undertale was never on a Nintendo platform until recently due to GameMaker never having an export to Nintendo products before the Undertale developer made it happen.

Tomb Raider was going to be an Indiana Jones licensed game, but they were rejected, so they had to make the character as different as possible.

The company that owns Epic games which makes the Unreal engine was stupid enough to sell Player Unknown's BattleGrounds, which uses the Unreal engine... and is owned by the same company that owns Epic Games. The lawsuit was dropped when they realized what idiots they were.

Yeah that's all the weird trivia I have in me for now. Go ahead and fact check me.

Before all the better-known Duke Nukem Forever builds, the name was originally going to be attached to another DN sidescroller.  It ended up having Duke Nukem dropped and the engine retooled into into a game called Alien Rampage, which was published by Softdisk of all people.

Speaking of Duke Nukem, there was a character in the Captain Planet cartoons by the same name.  Presumably this was the character that caused Apogee to call their character "Duke Nukum" at first.

And on a final note about Duke, the original Duke "Nukum", Duke Nukem 2, and Major Stryker all included  plagiarized graphics.

Apogee and Epic Megagames had something of a back-and-forth of putting disses at each other in their games, which culminated in Jazz Jackrabbit having an "APOGEE" cheat code that slowed the game down and made it emulate EGA colors.  Supposedly Apogee filed a lawsuit and made them take it out, but I remember the shareware version that I had back in the day still had it in.

The alpha builds of Master of Orion when it was called "Star Lords" called the Darloks "Nazgul" and the Psilons "Mentats".  They're still called that in the game's internal files, as well as it shedding some light on the home worlds being named Nazin and Mentar.  (The other races had different names too, but they weren't particularly interesting ones).

Vinyl Goddess From Mars was originally going to be Jill of the Jungle 2.  Rather than scrap it when it was rejected, the devs just retooled the backstory and released it anyway.  The "alien planet" is still a jungle.

Blizzard was originally creating a game for Games Workshop's Warhammer 40k universe. I don't know the finer details but it obviously never happened, thus Starcraft was born.

1 hour ago, geo said:

No one hates Doom.

But if they did, it's because they suck and fail at liking good games and succeed in liking stupid ones.

I'm back with weird video game company trivia.

I suppose it's not weird, but Blizzard was formed by 2 clueless guys about video games with a $15,000 loan from one of their grandmothers. I say clueless because they knew nothing about video games, just that they wanted to make them. The weird part is, Blizzard briefly turned into a tech support and repair company to make ends meet when they were struggling.

Enix is owned by a crazy billionaire that wants to buy up all the video game companies out there. He bought up SquareSoft stock and merged the company.

Enix sponsored a video game programming contest. The winners went on to make Dragon Quest 1, which was an Enix product.

Coleco started out as the Connecticut Leather Company. Leather companies making video game consoles.

Action-52 was programmed by 2 or 3 music guys who had never programmed a video game and it was made over the span of 3 months. Somehow the game supposedly raised $20 million dollars from investors. I guarantee it never made that money back and someone should have been sued or stabbed.

Acclaim was named Acclaim to be alphabetically before the co-founder's previous company Activision and another co-founder's previous company Accolade.

The developers of Overgrowth co-founded Humble Bundle. Overgrowth was never in a bundle until years later, one of the most expensive bundles. Within the same week or month as Overgrowth's release, Humble Bundle sold to IGN.

Codemasters was founded by 2 guys that as children won a video game development contest. The contest was supposed to design an imaginary game... they flat out programmed their own game and sent in the written code.

Edited by geo

The Elder Scrolls Arena was originally supposed to be a arena fighting game. (duh) But they scrapped it last minute and made it into a regular RPG. It was also supposed to have a party system. But it was also scrapped. They kept the name because of all the ads they already had for it. So their explanation for Arena being in the name, was that the imperial city (or something like that) was so dangerous, it was nicknamed the arena.

The Ascended Sleeper enemy in Morrowind has tentacles that are actually supposed to be like flutes, it's face is an instrument, the sounds just don't play correctly in regular versions of the game (it actually sounds a lot like a Strider from Half-Life 2).

The "Resurrection" add on for Painkiller has a screenshot of a what looks like a dead Imp from a modded version of Oblivion where the player is duel wielding steel axes in its model folder, lord knows why it is there.

Fallout New Vegas used to have an NCR drill instructor NPC at Camp Golf (I believe it was there, might have been McCarren) in all versions of the game at launch (PC, Xbox 360 and PS3) but for some reason they were patched out of the game despite ultimately doing nothing outside of having unique dialogue, I don't know why they were patched out but I actually do remember them being there as I got the game on launch with no internet access. (I also heard there was a NCR Sentry Bot that was supposed to be there but never is).

Halo: The Master Chief Collection only finally got properly patched yesterday, it is like 4 years late.

Secret of Evermore's OST (MIDIs appear in SunLust, for example) was made just within a few weeks by Jeremy Soule:

The score for Secret of Evermore was composed and produced by Jeremy Soule as his first video game project. While still in high school, Soule was a large fan of video games and he felt that the scores in most games "lacked drama and intensity." After completing high school, Soule created an experimental demo showcasing what he felt video game scores should sound like. Soule was hired by Square Soft after reviewing the demo and was promptly given the task to score Secret of Evermore. The score is described by Soule as a mix of ambient sounds and low-key music

Jeremy Soule is an American composer of soundtracks for film, television and video games. He has won multiple awards and has been described as the "John Williams of video game music" and "a model of success" for Western composers. He has composed soundtracks for over 60 games and over a dozen other works during his career. He is best known for his work in The Elder Scrolls and Guild Wars series, and several other top-selling titles such as Total Annihilation, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Harry Potter.

16 hours ago, Nevander said:

But if they did, it's because they suck and fail at liking good games and succeed in liking stupid ones.

Some trivia i found: Doom fans don't know what an opinion is.

18 hours ago, geo said:

The guy that made the shitty "Getting Over It" is a professor at the NYC Games Center.

The Crock game was supposed to be a Yoshi based 3D platformer before Nintendo pulled out.

Pretty sure GOI was intentionally crappy, it was also based on an amazing 2002 game named Sexy Hiking.

Croc 1 was also going to be the first 3D game ever if they actually made it into Yoshi Racing.

6 minutes ago, elarmadillo3 said:

Some trivia i found: Doom fans don't know what an opinion is.

Pretty sure GOI was intentionally crappy, it was also based on an amazing 2002 game named Sexy Hiking.

Croc 1 was also going to be the first 3D game ever if they actually made it into Yoshi Racing.

Intentionally crappy with a lesson that even a crappy game is still a good game, because the shit design, shit mechanics and shit level design blend to a challenge. When you have enough students, idiots and publicity via Humble Bundle to play it, proves that you too can have a smash hit despite every possible shortcoming. 99% of game development (or any product) is marketing.

Turrican 3 for Amiga was originally Mega Turrican for the SEGA Genesis and was ported to the Amiga in 1993 after Factor 5 shut down Kaiko's attempt to make their own. However, Mega Turrican was released in 1994 due to publisher issues.

17 hours ago, Nevander said:

I know it's hard to believe but there are people out there who don't like Doom. Growing up, nobody in my circle of friends even liked Doom. I was the only one to be bitten by the Doom bug.

According to them the game sucks because it has no story, no jumping, no looking up/down, repetitive gameplay, bad graphics, offensive imagery etc. I've heard it all. 

Fortunately for me, it was my brother who introduced me to Doom back in '93 and we still obsess over it to this day. There is no other game out there that has captivated me for so long. Doom has stood the test of time, there's a reason it's still around in one form or another with such a strong and thriving community.

If you ever played Goldeneye multiplayer, you always find one jerk who chooses Oddjob because he's shorter and harder to hit. Turns out the developers mistook Oddjob (5'10") for Nick Nack (3'11"). Jaws is rightfully taller than the rest at 7'2". Also of note is that the actor for Oddjob was in the US Army during World War II and took silver in weightlifting at the Olympics following the war.

What players call hipfire

a0033.gif

What hipfire actually is

a0035.gif

John Romero Finish Perfect Hatred In 6 Hours

Originally Doom was going to be called as attack of the attackers......................

In Age Of Empires 2 The Samurais Make Seppuku

Blood Its The First Game In Met The Thing Called Voxels

The Pig Cops In Duke Nukem, Its A Reference that they sometimes the people call the policemen like pigs

Zero In Megaman Zero Is Left handed

Red Alert 2 Happens In 1960

Sans Of Undertale It's Overrated, I like the character itself, but I think they fans exaggerate a lot

Minecraft have references to doom like : "phobos anomaly", And "map 11 have 2 names!", Or "Idspispopd"

Touhou only has one man character rinnosuke morichika, also he does not appear in any game in the saga

There's a cool easter egg in the Shadowgate remake that references the Serpent Riders Trilogy.

The developers of Goldeneye at one point intended reloading to be done by removing and then reinserting the rumble pak. 

Mike Bison (Balrog in North America) from Street Fighter 2 is not Mike from Street Fighter 1, even though they're both boxers that look identical. The names of 3 of the bosses in Street Fighter 2 were shuffled in North America because Capcom were worried about Mike Tyson suing them. In major Street Fighter tournaments, players usually refer to those characters as Dictator, Boxer and Claw to avoid confusion. 

Edited by Ajora

12 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

Sans Of Undertale It's Overrated, I like the character itself, but I think they fans exaggerate a lot

That's not trivia, y'know? :P

On topic: Some of the early versions of Shadow Warrior used quite a few Doom assets. You can even find an imp and a sergeant at one point.

In Halo 1 Combat Evolved it is one the developers controlling the main character during cutscenes. They basically recorded the input.

In the intro cutscene of mission "The Silent Cartographer" where you are on a landing craft and watching an other aircraft flying erratically  it is because the developer controlling that plane pretended to be flying drunk.

Doomguy has an official name and it's Dick Nasty

In Super Mario 64 if you keep long jumping at the locked door at the top of the stairs you'll clip through and beat the game with no stars if you BLJ the last two stairs

The Rabbids from Rayman are based on the dominant species from Planet Chicago, Let's Players invaded the Planet and destroyed it so nobody really knows what they were called originally, but it's rumored their species was called Dingious Dongacus

In Bubsy 3D if you quit the game you don't have to play it

In Super Mario 64 if you get 125 power stars you'll unlock Luigi as an alternate character to Mario, in the DS version if you get 158 you'll unlock Waluigi's stage and beating the big Toad you'll unlock Waluigi himself

In Half-Life if you kill every single NPC you find in the game you'll get a secret ending where G-Man runs away from you screaming in fear

Edited by DepravedDiptera

Super Mario Bros lost levels is actually the real Super Mario Bros 2. and not a hard mappack for SMB1. The English version is a Doki Doki game but the characters got replaced with mario ones, the real one got denied because it was too hard especially to newcomers to the series and might flop and ruin the series for western players.

Bubsy 3D was going to have a Sega Saturn version alongside the PS1 version, but it was scrapped for reasons unknown to myself.

On 8/28/2018 at 1:28 AM, geo said:

No one hates Doom.

The closest thing to haters are people who think the game is an overrated mindless shooter with boring gameplay and shitty graphics, poor bastards they don't know what they are saying.

On 8/28/2018 at 11:46 PM, Gaia74 said:

Red Alert 2 Happens In 1960

Actually is in 1972.

• The Immortal for Sega Genesis/Megadrive was one of the earliest if not the first game to be in a screenshot let's play.
  • Kitty, the noclip cheat in Heretic is the first name of an X-Men character, Kitty Pryde wich can pass trough solid matter with ease.
  • Doom's release in 1993 almost destroyed the adventure game genere.
  • The noclipping cheat code in Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, IDSPISPOPD is an acronym, like almost all cheat codes in Doom and Doom II wich means ID, Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris wich was an internet joke coined in 93 about Id software naming their next big game something long and convoluted so hyped fans would stop pestering them about when the game is going to be released.
  • Clipping and noclipping were made up by John Carmack about Doom's collision detection.
  • Link was actually going to be called Christo in the early development of Legend of Zelda.
  • Mortal Kombat was almost universally despised in Japan.
  • The original japanese version of Resident Evil 1, Biohazard has the same terrible voice acting with live action segments only with japanese subtitles, the developers were inspired by B-Movie zombie flicks so it makes sense.
  • Unlike the american cover art, Megaman 1 cover art in the european version looks decent, in fact more decent than most cover art for NES megaman titles.