Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoXion

The Doom universe? Anyone else interested?

Anyone else really curious about this? I'm really liking all the lore stuff in D16, and there's something deliciously meta about how the legendary nature of the Doom Slayer reflects the sheer heroic scale of the virtual demonic bloodshed that has happened since the inception of Doom. They seem to be going for a sort of sci-fi/dark fantasy angle, which I'm a sucker for as a 40k fan, although obviously Doom will do it much differently.

Although as much I enjoy the lore myself, I hope that Doom Eternal continues D16's approach of making it incidental to the gameplay. This isn't Mass Effect, much as I love that series.

2 hours ago, NoXion said:

Anyone else really curious about this? I'm really liking all the lore stuff in D16, and there's something deliciously meta about how the legendary nature of the Doom Slayer reflects the sheer heroic scale of the virtual demonic bloodshed that has happened since the inception of Doom. They seem to be going for a sort of sci-fi/dark fantasy angle, which I'm a sucker for as a 40k fan, although obviously Doom will do it much differently.

I'm absolutely intrigued. I adored all of the lore they filled 2016 with, and how much more context and understanding they brought to the story. I'm very much looking forward to learning more about all the little details in this universe.

Made me a little sad to hear some folks say "A story? In my Doom?" and dismiss the codex completely, because it really brings the entire experience to a whole new level.

But like I'll get to in a bit, leaving the option of delving deep into the lore to the player (and not wasting valuable killing time with too many drawn-out cutscenes) was the best possible choice.

2 hours ago, NoXion said:

Although as much I enjoy the lore myself, I hope that Doom Eternal continues D16's approach of making it incidental to the gameplay. This isn't Mass Effect, much as I love that series.

In an interview regarding the story, either Hugo or Marty said something along the lines of there being a “Story A” and a “Story B”. Players who want Story A can go through the active story of the game as it plays out, whereas Story B players can read all the lore they want and get more context/info about the things that unfold in Story A.  Both will be fulfilling experiences in their own rights.

id struck a perfect balance between Story and actual Game in 2016 (the story doesn’t get in the way, but it still there for people who want it). I highly doubt they’d up and drop that for no reason.

Edited by Pepsiman

Maybe I should look into the story more! The snippets I seen was making the story less sci-fi based and more fantasy based, which didn't interest me. But I only seen a small part so I could be way off-base.

23 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Maybe I should look into the story more! The snippets I seen was making the story less sci-fi based and more fantasy based, which didn't interest me. But I only seen a small part so I could be way off-base.

You absolutely should! They really went to great lengths to make this universe feel alive and believable.

But I mean, is it possible to have a 100% Sci-Fi Story when it involves literal demons from literal Hell? It seems kinda impossible to not involve Fantasy elements.

The combination of Sci-Fi and Fantasy is what makes Doom particularly unique and interesting imo, as I’m starting to find “straight” Sci-fi and fantasy a little boring.

I think having some lore is interesting and the way they did it, without lengthy dialogs and cutscenes was the right way to do it. You can read everything or just ignore everything without any consequence.

On the subject of "a story in my doom" I say that Tom hall did write a story. Then Carmack decided to completely strip the game of it. Doom 2016 did take several elements from Tom Hall original idea, so it's the kind of Doom the original game designer evinsioned. 

I'm happy about the idea of doomniverse as long as remain something on the side and still a bit obfuscated, without too clear references. A bit like dark souls lore, it's there but never completely explained.

18 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Some people here argued Dooms hell is not real hell, instead it's just a unknown and terrific dimension which was described as hell by humans who didn't know better. I strongly disagree - hell is one of Dooms core formula, if someone dislikes that mystic part he should stick to the Quake universe.

I'm normally not hugely interested in having a bunch of story in Doom, but the idea of a "Doomiverse" really sounds kinda awesome, actually.

Having backgrounds on all the Demons would be interesting. Are Arachnotrons corrupted aliens conquered by Hell? How many titan demons are there? Is there a Satan or a council?

It's all interesting concepts to me.

12 hours ago, Chezza said:

Having backgrounds on all the Demons would be interesting. Are Arachnotrons corrupted aliens conquered by Hell? How many titan demons are there? Is there a Satan or a council?

It's all interesting concepts to me.

My theory is we'll witness Satans rise in Doom 2 or 3. Hell right now looks like a chaotic place, especially after the Titans passed away. There are a lot of strong entities but none of them has the power and brain to rule. The spider mastermind tried but failed.

On 8/29/2018 at 4:42 PM, igg said:

Some people here argued Dooms hell is not real hell, instead it's just a unknown and terrific dimension which was described as hell by humans who didn't know better. I strongly disagree - hell is one of Dooms core formula, if someone dislikes that mystic part he should stick to the Quake universe.

Ha possibly. I do enjoy Quake too. Being a physicist, it's naturally my tendency to lean towards sci-fi stuff. I think there can be a bit of both worlds. That it is indeed simultaneously a real hell and another dimension. It could be that abducted ancient folk would describe it as a place so fantastical that it must be the after life, especially once they witness the demon/alien abilities to resurrect corpses and meld them with technology. Now it would be a hard for me to suspend disbelief that there are immortal souls and spirits and this is a place they go after death.

On 8/29/2018 at 4:42 PM, igg said:

"If someone dislikes that mystic part he should stick to the Quake universe."

Quake? You mean the game series that started with a strong Lovecraftian influence? The one with the undead Knights? The one with Shub-Niggurath?

I'm probably most excited for the new locations that we'll be visiting. Not just for the lore but also because environmental variety has never been a strong point for the DOOM series, and DOOM Eternal is already the best in that department even though only 4 distinct areas have been revealed so far (Earth, Phobos, Hell, and that unknown castle place).

1 hour ago, chemo said:

that unknown castle place).

As of a couple weeks ago, its name is Sentinel Prime.

In the Doom Eternal gameplay reveal they mentioned they're a bunch of lore nerds. So yeah, I'd be expecting more. Maybe more Testaments if we go to Hell again, but I imagine it'd be more like Hell on Earth. 

Also, they showed a ton of concept art. The Marauder (whom they mentioned ties into Doomguy), the Doom Hunter, etc. Probably gonna be more hidden in the codex and stuff like that. Who knows, they might even be main antagonists; nevertheless, definitely I'd expect them to be bosses.

Finally, the scenery they showed off was really interesting. That whole thing right before the Phobos gameplay and also the spaceship lookin' thing. (see pic below) 

images.jpg

10 hours ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

Source? Or joke?

If you're talking about the Doom universe, they start mentioning it here:

On vendredi 31 août 2018 at 3:27 AM, Immorpher said:

Ha possibly. I do enjoy Quake too. Being a physicist, it's naturally my tendency to lean towards sci-fi stuff. I think there can be a bit of both worlds. That it is indeed simultaneously a real hell and another dimension. It could be that abducted ancient folk would describe it as a place so fantastical that it must be the after life, especially once they witness the demon/alien abilities to resurrect corpses and meld them with technology. Now it would be a hard for me to suspend disbelief that there are immortal souls and spirits and this is a place they go after death.

That said, classic Doom does feature enemies called "lost souls" and more importantly there's this tidbit in Doom II's endgame text:

THE HORRENDOUS VISAGE OF THE BIGGEST DEMON YOU'VE EVER SEEN CRUMBLES BEFORE YOU, AFTER YOU PUMP YOUR ROCKETS INTO HIS EXPOSED BRAIN. THE MONSTER SHRIVELS UP AND DIES, ITS THRASHING LIMBS DEVASTATING UNTOLD MILES OF HELL'S SURFACE.

YOU'VE DONE IT. THE INVASION IS OVER. EARTH IS SAVED. HELL IS A WRECK. YOU WONDER WHERE BAD FOLKS WILL GO WHEN THEY DIE, NOW. WIPING THE SWEAT FROM YOUR FOREHEAD YOU BEGIN THE LONG TREK BACK HOME. REBUILDING EARTH OUGHT TO BE A LOT MORE FUN THAN RUINING IT WAS.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:11 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

I want lore. I don't want exposition. I want background, not plot. That's what Doom always did so well. Environmental story telling.

This.

In D16 i did not read even one note about anything, i just played through the game, i like to read sometimes in games but Doom is not the place for that, maybe in the future i will replay it and actually read everything. The new Doomverse seems more inspired by the Doom comic than anything else, and i found the narrations very cheesy and not as badass as the devs probably think they are.

Having said that, creating a Doom universe lore sounds interesting and i like it, if done well it can be awesome, but some stuff i saw was kinda generic and more alien than hellish, if anything i want lore of hell and fucked up settings.

Part of me suspects the DOOM "universe" will end up being the basis for spinoff games. Which I'm ok with.

As long as they make a UAC VR game centered around working for earth's number one dystopian megacorp. Have the game be centered around tongue and cheek office politics and work your way up the UAC corporate ladder. Then end up in the inner circle with human sacrifice at the next company picnic. 

The goal of the game: get promoted enough that you're the one holding the sacrificial knife, instead of the one bound on the altar.

Lore is good - as long as they're careful to not reveal too much information.

If we suddenly learn that the Demons were originally docile aliens from the planet Paradise that were corrupted by evil energies or the like, then I feel it would seriously hurt the feel of the game. I don't really want to know what the Demons are as much as I want to know what they do and what forms of vile cruelty each Demon type prefers and how they achieve it.

Keep the mystery aspect, but feed the lore appetite with cool little myths about worlds the demons have wrecked and the like (and of course, more tales about how the Doom Slayer made all of Hell cry for their collective mommas).

On 9/3/2018 at 5:11 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

I want lore. I don't want exposition. I want background, not plot. That's what Doom always did so well. Environmental story telling.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:57 PM, dsm said:

Lore is good - as long as they're careful to not reveal too much information.

If we suddenly learn that the Demons were originally docile aliens from the planet Paradise that were corrupted by evil energies or the like, then I feel it would seriously hurt the feel of the game. I don't really want to know what the Demons are as much as I want to know what they do and what forms of vile cruelty each Demon type prefers and how they achieve it.

Keep the mystery aspect, but feed the lore appetite with cool little myths about worlds the demons have wrecked and the like (and of course, more tales about how the Doom Slayer made all of Hell cry for their collective mommas).

Feels.  

As long as the lore remains mainly in the background through collectibles, data logs etc., I'm all for this Doomiverse.  However, I hope they don't stray too far from what makes Doom, Doom:  fighting the hordes of Hell.  Keep Doom Evil.  These new environments they are showing, I have mixed feelings about.  Some of it looks almost like Destiny.  I don't want that.  If Id is making an effort to step away from the whole Hell thing and add a more Destiny like element to the game for the mainstream masses... or if it goes the Diablo 3 route with a segment kind of like Act 4 (which no one liked) where you go to Heaven... that would be a mistake (unless done really well but still, makes me nervous). This whole thing with the knights and Argent D'nur and wherever these knights are from... and the Wraiths... it is intriguing... but based off of some of the multiplayer maps from 2016 that are obviously in some of these places, I'm a bit worried because those maps didn't feel like Doom at all.  

I'm keeping an open mind because we simply haven't seen a whole lot, I just hope they don't go overboard with this sequel and keep it mainly about what makes Doom so great.  

Edited by Nairb

13 minutes ago, Nairb said:

These new environments they are showing, I have mixed feelings about.  Some of it looks almost like Destiny.  I don't want that.  If Id is making an effort to step away from the whole Hell thing and add a more Destiny like element to the game for the mainstream masses... or if it goes the Diablo 3 route with a segment kind of like Act 4 (which no one liked) where you go to Heaven... that would be a mistake (unless done really well but still, makes me nervous). This whole thing with the knights and Argent D'nur and wherever these knights are from... and the Wraiths... it is intriguing... but based off of some of the multiplayer maps from 2016 that are obviously in some of these places, I'm a bit worried because those maps didn't feel like Doom at all.  

I'm getting a huge Quake feeling from it. Even the big, shiny high-tech parts feel like Quake to me. I get the feeling it's a whole mix of id over different environments.

I think that very cool things could be done with this, if done right. Obviously Doom has never been much in the story department, but I think that with a little effort, especially with the story from the most recent title in 2016, but with a little effort I think some cool things could be done with the story. I think it could be taken to some very cool places. Honestly the guys working on this game just seem like super ID fans, and have a tremendous amount of respect for the games, and source material. I think that they will take it to places we are absolutely not expecting, and take it to places that are very cool, and I can't wait.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:55 AM, Nairb said:

Feels.  

As long as the lore remains mainly in the background through collectibles, data logs etc., I'm all for this Doomiverse.  However, I hope they don't stray too far from what makes Doom, Doom:  fighting the hordes of Hell.  Keep Doom Evil.  These new environments they are showing, I have mixed feelings about.  Some of it looks almost like Destiny.  I don't want that.  If Id is making an effort to step away from the whole Hell thing and add a more Destiny like element to the game for the mainstream masses... or if it goes the Diablo 3 route with a segment kind of like Act 4 (which no one liked) where you go to Heaven... that would be a mistake (unless done really well but still, makes me nervous). This whole thing with the knights and Argent D'nur and wherever these knights are from... and the Wraiths... it is intriguing... but based off of some of the multiplayer maps from 2016 that are obviously in some of these places, I'm a bit worried because those maps didn't feel like Doom at all.  

I'm keeping an open mind because we simply haven't seen a whole lot, I just hope they don't go overboard with this sequel and keep it mainly about what makes Doom so great.  

Idunno i played a lot of weird wads like Alien Vendetta, Eternal, Deus Vult, etc. that all felt like Doom to me. Remember the MAP30 on TNT?

I'm interested. There's more to Doom than just killing demons, and I'm glad the developers are understanding that.