Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoXion

The Doom universe? Anyone else interested?

10 hours ago, ATP2555 said:

I'm interested. There's more to Doom than just killing demons, and I'm glad the developers are understanding that.

Same, can't wait to see what they come up with, what we've seen so far in the trailers definitely stirred my curiosity.

I wonder if my theory will hold up, that the Doomslayer isn't a human, or being... but a force that possesses humans across all dimensions that intersect with Hell to turn them into The Doomslayer (the Doom 1/2/64 universe, the Doom 3 universe, the thousands of fan WAD universes).

Kind of like the Eternal Champion from the Moorcock books.

@FractalBeast That's not a bad concept. It's definitely flexible and can glue the universe together. This would also justify a man vs Hell idea in all games. But I would hate to see some of our heroes lose their power or become obsolete. 

Edited by Chezza

You guys ever wonder whether id Software asked the guys at Bethesda how to rewrite their Doom lore?

Because making everything canon, whether things contradict each other or not is a pretty Bethesda thing to do, what with the concept of Dragonbreaks (multiple events that should exclude each other happening at the same time, creating a chaotic time period where people in different areas remember history different, and other timeline/timetravel shenanigans until the timelines finally collapse back into one) in The Elder Scrolls games.

With some retcons all the games can be canon.

Doom 3 can technically be placed in the same universe as Doom 4.  Just need to change the dates a bit and call it UAC's first attempt on Mars/Hell that was covered up. 

If you paid attention to Doom 3, there is a story about the Martian race that was conquered by Hell.  That race could be the night sentinels ... and you know the rest.  It would of have to happened Eons ago when Mars and its Moons were more habitable.  Maybe Mars existed in another dimension and was spewed out into our solar system in the aftermath of war?  This could be the story of Classic Doom, Doom 2 (Hell on Mars) and 64.

Far fetched but it kinda works ...

I would be interested if it was the DOOM (2016) universe. I loved the approach that you could have as much story as you wanted in DOOM or close to none at all.

While I didn't read most of the data logs, the story telling and visual story telling was enthralling and believable.

Now that I've seen the cartoony look of DOOM Eternal, I couldn't care less. Humans look outright caricaturistic. I just can't overcome the disbelief the aesthetics emanate.

But even if they would continue the game in the art style of DOOM, I would be hesitant to say the least. Creating a DOOM universe is done with the intention of releasing many DOOM games and I'd rather have a DOOM game every 4 years with stunning visuals and compelling story telling, than a game every 1-2 years that is half-assed like so many other franchises today.

Doom 3 can technically be placed in the same universe as Doom 4.  Just need to change the dates a bit and call it UAC's first attempt on Mars/Hell that was covered up. 

But in regards of pure story telling, I would even go as far as saying throw everything before Doom 3 and maybe even that out the window. Story in Doom wasn't really focussed on and trying to shoehorn the predecessors into a compelling story can't end better than what you see with the mess that is all Blizzard games ever.

7 hours ago, intx said:

I would be interested if it was the DOOM (2016) universe. I loved the approach that you could have as much story as you wanted in DOOM or close to none at all.

They're using the same formula as far as I'm aware. Marty mentioned this in an interview if I'm not mistaken.

8 hours ago, intx said:

But even if they would continue the game in the art style of DOOM, I would be hesitant to say the least. Creating a DOOM universe is done with the intention of releasing many DOOM games and I'd rather have a DOOM game every 4 years with stunning visuals and compelling story telling, than a game every 1-2 years that is half-assed like so many other franchises today.

If Doom Eternal is a proper remake of Doom 2, they kind of HAVE to half-ass it you know.

Actually, I'm a bit disappointed in the level design of DE. I want more abstract dadaist medieval cube castles instead of this interesting wrecked city.

On 10/31/2018 at 7:40 PM, FractalBeast said:

I want more abstract dadaist medieval cube castles instead of this interesting wrecked city.

So u want butt-ugly looking abstract areas (which were supposed to look like cities but couldn't due to limitations) instead of actual city areas. I salute u sir

On 10/31/2018 at 3:40 PM, FractalBeast said:

If Doom Eternal is a proper remake of Doom 2, they kind of HAVE to half-ass it you know.

Actually, I'm a bit disappointed in the level design of DE. I want more abstract dadaist medieval cube castles instead of this interesting wrecked city.

??????????

10 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

It's a joke about Doom 2's quality. It's a great game, but id really half-assed it and could easily have made it a lot better.

Ohhh, I see :)

On 9/5/2018 at 4:50 PM, D88M said:

This.

In D16 i did not read even one note about anything, i just played through the game, i like to read sometimes in games but Doom is not the place for that, maybe in the future i will replay it and actually read everything. The new Doomverse seems more inspired by the Doom comic than anything else, and i found the narrations very cheesy and not as badass as the devs probably think they are.

Having said that, creating a Doom universe lore sounds interesting and i like it, if done well it can be awesome, but some stuff i saw was kinda generic and more alien than hellish, if anything i want lore of hell and fucked up settings.

I know I'm a noob to this forum but I have been playing Doom since the mid 90s and D16's lore building was awesome... If you took the time for it.

I am 100% a lore nerd, but I have an immense respect for the way Doom2016 did things: Provide the lore without chaining your gameplay to it. Make it so that you can explore it between ripping and tearing, or do the ripping and tearing alone and ignore the lore completely. When the opportunity to let the player tailor the gameplay to their preference arises, I always say take it, and Doom2016 not only did that perfectly but lampshaded it wonderfully by refusing to take it too seriously and making Doomguy himself not give a damn.

So in Doom:Eternal, give me all the lore I can take, but let me take it in on my own terms between ripping and tearing.

I couldn't care less about lore in a game like Doom, it feels extremely out of a place in a fast paced game like Doom and it seems to be following the trend that every AAA game has to have an in depth universe that explains every little detail possible.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:03 PM, Ubik said:

So in Doom:Eternal, give me all the lore I can take, but let me take it in on my own terms between ripping and tearing.

Looks like they have that covered. We only saw one cutscene in the entire gameplay reveal. (save for the Vile appearance which, like the Cyberdemon entrance at the end of the D2016 E3 reveal, probably isn't real)

It'd be pretty sweet if they'd have the game react to people that want lore. Characters that respond when the Doomslayer actually stops and listens to the lore they spew out instead of just walking past them.

On 8/30/2018 at 4:58 AM, Chezza said:

Are Arachnotrons corrupted aliens conquered by Hell?

Maybe they are some kind of lesser Olivia/Spider Mastermind clones created from the demon's corpse by Hayden or something like that.