Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phoby

What do you think of the Icon of Sin?

1 minute ago, Master O said:

Not exactly. The Icon of Sin spams monsters at you, so you have to be quick about it before their numbers overwhelm you. 

If you want a boss in video games that doesn't actually attack you, get to the last level of Konami's "Gradius".  It's a giant brain that just sits there and offers no resistance.   

shooting skull out of your brain shouldn't prevent you from raping your murderer with a claw twice as big.

34 minutes ago, Master O said:

It'd probably end up as 32 levels that look like Kama Sutra's infamous final level. xD

Personally, I would hope for better from the community here.

27 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

If someone made an actual monster that would be amazing.

What about the final boss from the starter pack for Brutal Doom: Hell on Earth? I would say that counts as an actual monster, even if it doesn't fully move around.

51 minutes ago, Master O said:

Speaking of the Icon of Sin, why not create a megawad where each level has an Icon of Sin you have to beat to progress to the next level?

That would be funny.  

As much as I hate normal Icons, this would be hilarious. Would definitely be interesting as a community project, seeing how different members of the community would tackle the Icon to make it an interesting challenge. Would MAP01 be a normal, plain old Icon? What would MAP30 be? Would MAP32 be an Icon reskinned as a massive Hitler face?

9 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

As much as I hate normal Icons, this would be hilarious. Would definitely be interesting as a community project, seeing how different members of the community would tackle the Icon to make it an interesting challenge. Would MAP01 be a normal, plain old Icon? What would MAP30 be? Would MAP32 be an Icon reskinned as a massive Hitler face?

MAP32 would be a giant Hitler face.

MAP31 would be a giant Mussolini face.  

I like the boss, he is much more dynamic and varied than other fights in this game are. On my last playthrough of Doom ii the game did present example of such randomness:

the boss is 1 rocket away from death, but health of myself is too low to survive fall into the acid, so i know i have to kill before the lift extend fully or i wont survive the fall.

unfortunately, spectre walks on to the front of the platform and gets stuck, blocking the boss weakpoint. I can can't switch weapons and shoot him, because by then the lift would have reached the top, so i have to creep to the side and shoot a rocket past the spectre. however, cacodemon is above me and shooting fireballs, so i have to lure fireball to one side of the platform, move to the other and then shoot the rocket, which fortunately kill the boss.

if the boss would have a predictable spawn pattern, then you could plan ahead and simply eliminate or dodge pre-emptively all enemies before they can become a threat. if the boss were more easy to hit, or have a less hazardous arena, there would have been no imperative to put myself into such a dangerous situation or to kill the boss quickly. but, because the boss contains all these elements, they can come together and create all sort of different and interesting challenge.

these are not fights you will have against the other bosses in doom, who have 1 attack each and static placement of minions (nothing against that sort of boss, but i prefer them to be more complex. i enjoyed doom 2016 boss fights for having many attacks each :) )

Of course such story is outlier case, and usually you will take a BFG, pwn all a demons and kill the boss in a few seconds XD but this is the wonder of RNG :) :)

anyway, this sort of risky and unpredictability is what i like to see the most in boss battles, gives them replay value and some challenge even when experienced with the fight.

is it my favourite video game boss? it is not even close, but i think they created a very interesting (at time) fight and i love to see them in the end of WADs more than anything except true custom boss enemies :)

4 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

I just wish the platform stopped at the correct height.

Same. Just make the platform drop for a moment after getting a hit, that prevents IoS dying too quickly.

It's pretty obvious by my posting habits here that Doom 2 is the main Doom game I play.  I normally don't play the Icon of Sin level simply because it's not a skill based level, it's all about luck.  I play on UV difficulty all the time so no green spheres to hide behind.  I can beat it on that difficulty, but I just choose not to anymore because of how many tries it takes to get the perfect run. 

Doom 2s icon of sin is just luck? All that level needs is timing a few rockets and it is over before the ios finishes one spawn rotation. Viles and elementals can be annoying but monsters can't do shit to kill the player, just extend the map a tiny bit if the player still hoards cells.

I used to like it when i was a kid but now i think is an annoying haunted wallpaper. No matter how good and varied the 30th map of any megawad is, if it features the Icon of Sin it sucks all the fun and joy of the map.

On 8/28/2018 at 10:47 PM, Nevander said:

The Icon of Sin is a big jerk. I don't like him.

How dare you say that about my leader! I'll gut you oneday, DoomGuy! As for the original post, yes. I ADORE him.

Edited by Zombieman

On 8/29/2018 at 4:37 PM, Doge Sword said:

It sucks because it is supposed to be the king of all demons and he just sits there and lets you kill him.  If someone made an actual monster that would be amazing.  It would be so hard to kill though.

Actually, Brutal Doom made it into an actual monster.

14 minutes ago, Zombieman said:

Actually, Brutal Doom made it into an actual monster.

Not if you picture a monster the way I do.  I think it should be able to move and melee.  Also since it is so big they should do something to the sprites to make it look more not flat.

The Icon of Sin really burns my biscuits. The only thing worse than the Icon is an Archvile. (My dreaded arch-nemeses)