Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMknight

UAC Invasion: The Supply Depot

Recommended Posts

This looks pretty damn good! I've added this to me seemingly infinite "must eventually play" list.

 

Europe by today's standards seems dated but I still remember the smile I had on my face once I beat the map all those years ago. Definitely one of the early influencers on my work.

 

Congrats on the release!

 

 

Spoiler

p.s. those sector vehicles are brilliant! :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Wow that looks... detailed. Crazy kind of. I will add this to my backlog. Have to play this one.

Share this post


Link to post

So, I tried to download it from mediafire (can't access neither dropbox nor google drive from China and yes, my VPN doesn't work right now) but winRAR doesn't want to unpack it. Just shows me an error that it is not a valid archive. Did other people of the same problem with the file from Mediafire? I experienced this already with another file and now I am wondering, if it's just me?!

Share this post


Link to post

the screenshots look awesome! I love your style. adding to my to-play list as well :D

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, elend said:

So, I tried to download it from mediafire (can't access neither dropbox nor google drive from China and yes, my VPN doesn't work right now) but winRAR doesn't want to unpack it. Just shows me an error that it is not a valid archive. Did other people of the same problem with the file from Mediafire? I experienced this already with another file and now I am wondering, if it's just me?!

 

It's strange, on my PC I haven't had any problem to unzip the files. But when I download it on the smartphone and try to open it, I get an error. Maybe due the rar app version, to avoid this possible problem I compressed the map in zip and I've uploaded to mediafire, so you can open it.

 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fa4m9bmy75oef11/SupplyDepotBeta.zip/file

 

Also edited the first post with the zip file, now there are 4 links, two with the zip and the other two with the rar.

Edited by DooMknight

Share this post


Link to post

First of all, thank you very much for your effort! And it actually works now. I am unsure what caused this (and still don't know if the same archive worked for other people) but I can finally give the map a whirl and play it a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/30/2018 at 1:25 PM, elend said:

First of all, thank you very much for your effort! And it actually works now. I am unsure what caused this (and still don't know if the same archive worked for other people) but I can finally give the map a whirl and play it a bit.

I think it is due to the winrar version, when using a version 5.5 or higher to compress it makes the file appear corrupt in previous versions, at least it is what I was able to find out ...

 

At least the zip seems to work. I'm waiting impatiently for your opinion! hehe

Edited by DooMknight

Share this post


Link to post

What a long map! I played on UV, and a few comments.

 

- There's a bit too much use of "enemies popping up with no warning", particularly earlier on in the map. It ended up with two Chaingunners on top of each other in one instance.

- The part with the Arch Viles where you first meet your Afrit monsters is really difficult. There's a lot of stuff for you to catch yourself on as you're running and it's difficult to find cover and very easy to die.

- The Afrit monsters move a bit too fast for my liking.

- The fight where you first meet your Cyber-Barons was really cool and nicely set up.

- After you go through the second yellow door into the outside area, there really needs to be some decent health and armour as you're fighting a lot of enemies there. (Not a fan of so many trees blocking the movement either)

- Unless I missed something obvious, there's not even close to enough to enough ammo (particularly for the BFG) to deal with the final area, and health was very scarce. I died here twice and just resurrected myself to carry on. It's also frustrating how many obstacles you have to navigate around.

 

Overall, very enjoyable map. Incredible effort.

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Degree23 said:

What a long map! I played on UV, and a few comments.

 

- There's a bit too much use of "enemies popping up with no warning", particularly earlier on in the map. It ended up with two Chaingunners on top of each other in one instance.

- The part with the Arch Viles where you first meet your Afrit monsters is really difficult. There's a lot of stuff for you to catch yourself on as you're running and it's difficult to find cover and very easy to die.

- The Afrit monsters move a bit too fast for my liking.

- The fight where you first meet your Cyber-Barons was really cool and nicely set up.

- After you go through the second yellow door into the outside area, there really needs to be some decent health and armour as you're fighting a lot of enemies there. (Not a fan of so many trees blocking the movement either)

- Unless I missed something obvious, there's not even close to enough to enough ammo (particularly for the BFG) to deal with the final area, and health was very scarce. I died here twice and just resurrected myself to carry on. It's also frustrating how many obstacles you have to navigate around. 

 

Overall, very enjoyable map. Incredible effort.

 

 

First of all, thank you very much for testing it and giving your opinion.
I agree with many of the things you said, so I'll write it down to fix it in the final version.

In the final battle there is a hidden (not much) soul sphere and a lot of health scattered, I thought that would be enough...

On the other hand the sortage of BFG ammunition is intentional, because I did it to add difficulty and use more the rocket launcher. Anyway, I'll took a look on it.

Again, thanks for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed the map ;)

Share this post


Link to post

A huge monster of a map in the vein of ZDCMPs (minus the inconsistencies caused by the multitude of authors) that's quite expansive, intricately detailed and gorgeous to look at. I keep saying that the realism doesn't fit well into Doom since it's alien to the game's nature, yet it's nice to see that some folks can still bend such questionable thing to their will and end up creating something interesting and engaging as a result. You said that you started this back in 2007 (quite a dedication, huh), but it's still got its fair share of fresh ideas and neat little details here and there that surely give it a personality of its own, so it's not "yet another generic and soulless gzdoom techbase yadda yadda". The exploding cars in the final battle get a nod of approval from me, that's a really nice touch.

 

Degree23 essentially expressed all of my qualms regarding the map's gameplay, though I didn't mind the faster afrits (finally they are threatening even in huge areas, so the decision to speed them up seems perfectly justified to me) and I was also drowning in ammo and health throughout, be it the finale or anywhere else. I can only add that monsters in closets outside the playing area can be heard before they appear in the flesh rather often, I'd put said closets farther away unless map size limits prevent it.

 

A little more about the insta-pops being dominant - unsurprisingly the monster delivery is the one characteristic bane of realistic maps, whenever one tries to create a place that'd be believable compared to real life - it automatically means that monster placement becomes a secondary task totally dependant on the architecture that wasn't really created for fun gameplay scenarios, so such ways of bringing monsters to the playing area become very repetitive, predictable and boring, be it insta-pops or teleports. Well... I guess there's no real way to avoid this issue in these kind of maps, so there can be no universal advice unless one's willing to mess with the map's architecture greatly, making shapeshifting layouts and constantly revealing new areas in the ones already visited, those are the things that'd help alleviate the issue I suppose. A good thing is that this approach is utilized here as well, to an extent, and there are lots of interconnections and previews of the areas to be visited later, so I can't say that things ever get too stale.

 

Anyway, I definitely don't regret spending my time on this one, this was very cool and interesting enough to keep me entertained throughout its considerable length, with lots of nice little quirks and its own charm, definitely among the better gzdoom-based maps I played during the last couple of years. I hope more people will play it and generate some well-deserved praise. Thanks for making and sharing it!

Share this post


Link to post

Found a couple of cases that the player can get trapped (played with GZDoom 3.5.1 and HMP difficulty):

1. The death knight and two cacodemons spawn before I enter the huge room with the switch to yellow key. The door is supposed to be closed when I entered the room and opened by killing the death knight. But if I kill the death knight while being outside of the room, entering the room will get me trapped.

2. A similar situation happened on fighting the spider mastermind. I can trigger the first trigger line to get it spawned and kill it, then if I enter the area (triggered the second line) the four pillars will raise and get me trapped.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Demonologist said:

A huge monster of a map in the vein of ZDCMPs (minus the inconsistencies caused by the multitude of authors) that's quite expansive, intricately detailed and gorgeous to look at. [...]

Anyway, I definitely don't regret spending my time on this one, this was very cool and interesting enough to keep me entertained throughout its considerable length, with lots of nice little quirks and its own charm, definitely among the better gzdoom-based maps I played during the last couple of years. I hope more people will play it and generate some well-deserved praise. Thanks for making and sharing it! 

Thank you very much Demonologist for your review! I found it very interesting and complete. In addition to the already mentioned I'll move the monsters closets away from the playable area, it's true that they are heard along some parts of the map...

 

8 hours ago, NovaRain said:

Found a couple of cases that the player can get trapped (played with GZDoom 3.5.1 and HMP difficulty):

1. The death knight and two cacodemons spawn before I enter the huge room with the switch to yellow key. The door is supposed to be closed when I entered the room and opened by killing the death knight. But if I kill the death knight while being outside of the room, entering the room will get me trapped.

2. A similar situation happened on fighting the spider mastermind. I can trigger the first trigger line to get it spawned and kill it, then if I enter the area (triggered the second line) the four pillars will raise and get me trapped.

Also thanks for playing it NovaRain and for indicating those serious problems. The first has had an easy solution, and just fixed it, see the image:

map01.png

 

The second problem is something more complex, as you can see in the following image to activate the spidermastermind & co I've no problem in having several tagged lines, but when closing the arena for battle I can only use one line, since putting more could make the player get stuck once the spider is dead.
map02.png
It is true that it is very sloppy because the line can be avoided, but it is the only solution I found at that moment. I'm thinking what to do there to solve it...

 

Again, thank you very much to both of you, I'm greatly improving the map with your comments!

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, DooMknight said:

Also thanks for playing it NovaRain and for indicating those serious problems. The first has had an easy solution, and just fixed it, see the image:

map01.png

I don't know much about Doom mapping, but wouldn't it be more foolproof to switch the position of the new tagged line and the door closing line?

So that the door will be closed before the death knight gets teleported into the room. From your pic it seems some cautious player can still get the death knight teleported before the door closing and retreat from the room.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, NovaRain said:

I don't know much about Doom mapping, but wouldn't it be more foolproof to switch the position of the new tagged line and the door closing line?

So that the door will be closed before the death knight gets teleported into the room. From your pic it seems some cautious player can still get the death knight teleported before the door closing and retreat from the room.

It's more logical the way you say, I've swapped them.

 

Edit: I think I've found a way to fix the second case, I have placed a line without splitting beffore monsters appear. I'm going to test if it works:

map02.png

Edited by DooMknight

Share this post


Link to post

I also played this for a bit recently (although I have not finished it yet), I just wanted to note that thoe monster pop-ins also confused me at first. I thought it was a bug, because they are fog less. They could spawn a bit earlier and then they'd stand around the corner waiting, instead of popping up in your face without fog.

 

Other than that, I also enjoyed this, especially the detail in this wad (yes, I am a sucker for this). It is really well made but still playable. I will continue to try to beat it without cheating and probably also try out your next versions.

Share this post


Link to post

I spent two hours on this - it's very good. I particularly liked the liberal use of voxel vehicles and other decorations to give the place some life and flair, although the high detail, sprawling tech base was also very nice even on its own. I found 15/22 secrets and missed about 9 monsters; I can only guess where they were in such a large map that I put so much time into exploring.

 

I wasn't a fan of the enemies silently popping up in front of you in corridors and the like, and that Death Knight might be the worst custom enemy I've ever faced... Otherwise I really liked this. The main force of the enemies is light resistance which whittles you down whilst you just gain more and more firepower, with plenty of secret BFGs, loads of berserks and all sorts of other stuff. A few AVs out in the open did me some real harm, plus the aforementioned Death Knight was a total cunt, but otherwise it's reasonable going throughout. This felt like a coherent successor to the ZDCMP maps I love so much.

 

I think you'd benefit from disabling jumping, or having a second pass on jump-proofing the map, as it doesn't seem to be mandatory for anything and can lead to the player climbing out of the map. You've been pretty good about keeping the player from getting too far out of field, and I did find jumping helpful for shortcuts, but I did find myself running around on the cliff edges in a few places where I suspect you'd rather I hadn't - particularly climbing up the 1-unit shadow sectors on the way round to the lift that has the surprise AV on it.

 

Very good work. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you very much elend and Phobus for playing the map, your comments have been very useful and have helped me to fix the last bugs that were left. Today I have been working on the map and played it completely to see that everything works fine now.

Thanks also to all other testers: Degree23, Demonologist, NovaRain, HAK3180, AK-001

 

These are the changes I have made based on your comments:

  • Changed the action lines in the rooms where the deathknight and the spidermastermind appear so that the player can not be trapped.

  • Eliminated some instapopups of enemies (not all) that confused the players.

  • Added some health in the outdoor area that opens with the yellow key.

  • Added more BFG ammo in the final battle.

  • The closets for teleportation of monsters are moved, now they should not be heard in the playable zone.

  • Added new items and enemies in a new explorable area.

  • Added details in some areas.

  • Fixed some errors. 

And here is the download link to the updated file, although I've also edited the first post:

supplydp.zip

Share this post


Link to post

@DooMknight

I just want to say that playing this map was an excellent experience. I am very glad that projects with such length of developing get to the release. Thank you for that. I sincerely envy your persistence and skill. Good luck in your new endeavors!

 

I want to draw attention only to one point, which seemed to me not obvious. The switch opening a door to the room with a red key completely confused me. Long trying to find it, I was forced to stop recording the demo and open map in the editor. I think here needs more obvious switch to such an important moment. Also, I noticed a few minor bugs and will later inform you about them when I return to this map.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

@DooMknight

I just want to say that playing this map was an excellent experience. I am very glad that projects with such length of developing get to the release. Thank you for that. I sincerely envy your persistence and skill. Good luck in your new endeavors!

 

I want to draw attention only to one point, which seemed to me not obvious. The switch opening a door to the room with a red key completely confused me. Long trying to find it, I was forced to stop recording the demo and open map in the editor. I think here needs more obvious switch to such an important moment. Also, I noticed a few minor bugs and will later inform you about them when I return to this map.

 

Thank you very much for trying the map, I'm glad you liked it. It was such a huge project and I had invested so many hours that I had to finish it and publish it.

It is true that this area can be somewhat confusing, the switch appears in front of the player, but the texture is similar to the walls and it may be difficult to see it, anyway taking a couple of laps around the area I think you end up finding it.

The other bugs that you mentioned in PM, I solved them in my local file, but sadly I had already uploaded the final version to the repository and I can't overwrite it. I don't know if there is any way to update the file ...

Share this post


Link to post

From a few screens this goes to my "to play" wadlist. Thanks for the map, there are only a few made with BD in mind.

Share this post


Link to post

Are you sure it's possible to exit the map in the /idgames version? I hit that final switch and fought the Cyberdemon, and I can see the aircraft on the helipad, but there's still a door blocking the way onto the pad. The door sector is tagged 220, and there don't seem to be any actions connected to it from what i can tell.

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, I see. There are three other Cyberdemons still in closets. None of them seem to have woken up and teleported in to fight me. Only one Cyberdemon appeared.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Are you sure it's possible to exit the map in the /idgames version? I hit that final switch and fought the Cyberdemon, and I can see the aircraft on the helipad, but there's still a door blocking the way onto the pad. The door sector is tagged 220, and there don't seem to be any actions connected to it from what i can tell.

It's true, I've checked it and the other cyberdemons are not activated ... I don't understand how it could have happened since those sectors I haven't touched in the following beta versions. Thanks for notifying me of this @Not Jabba, I'm now trying to update the file in /idgames. I've uploaded the fixed file and the .msg indicating the problem. For those who want to download this fixed version, here is the new link:

 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IwkDTCv02omDynOThit4JQCNkm10nrSQ

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/10/2018 at 5:35 PM, DooMknight said:

The map is finally published in to the idgames archive! Here is the link:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/supplydp

I also edit the first post with the new link.

 

Ok! The fixed version is uploaded to the /idgames archive. Many thanks to the maintainers at how quickly fix that

Edited by DooMknight

Share this post


Link to post

I can only get 22/23 secrets in the map. It seems the secret sectors at the toxic flow gate (x: 6139, y: -1200~-1320) can't be triggered.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, NovaRain said:

I can only get 22/23 secrets in the map. It seems the secret sectors at the toxic flow gate (x: 6139, y: -1200~-1320) can't be triggered.

Actually that secret is marked when you press the switch, I didn't notice that there was another sector marked at the beginning of the toxic flow gate.

Well, fortunately it's a small mistake, in total there are 22 secrets not 23...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×