Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkShroom

GLDEFS.txt, can i define textures here with long filenames or do they have to be CAPITALS and a certain length

Question

// Specular maps require normal maps, apparently
material texture AQCONC06 {
	normal normal/aqconc06n.png
	specular specular/AQCONC06s.png
	specularlevel 0.3
	glossiness 10
}

in this example i found from someone making material definitions, i notice when we define a material it is in the older looking format (8 characters all capitals like a wad)

i wonder if i can use the long pathname there at all?

i am making a pk3 folder and setting up scripts to autogenerate my normal maps using the a python script, which is using graphics magic to normalise the image, then using dbohdan/unflattener to generate a normal map (i sorta include this information as this process is fun, unflattener is a neat little tool, would love to give out my script when a little bit more refined if anyone was interested in the sort of mess you create when managing video game assets)

the python script will then be autogenerating a "GLDEFS" file..... yes i can do this but in this instance i will have to convert the lowercase "blahblah.png" to "BLAHBLAH"

this is likely okay it just seems out of wack, am i stuck with the short 8 char capital letter names for the most part as when i try to do things like this i inevitably have to use the CAPITALS format?

thanks.forum, i will try to make my script as usable as possible incase people are interested in autogenerating normal maps from the old textures as per their requirements

2 answers to this question

That's the kind of things you can test for yourself in a minute. :p

But yes of course you can use the long format and you don't need to use all-caps.

u say that but in gzdoom most tests seem to take more than a minute!!! constant wrestling with different formats and filename styles seems the order of the day

i didn't have any success with that, how would you write it then:

material texture "textures/aqconc06n.png" {
	specularlevel 0.3
	glossiness 10
}

//or

material texture textures/aqconc06n.png {
	specularlevel 0.3
	glossiness 10
}

well sorry if it is actually obvious, i have not found one example of anyone else doing it this way

okay i'll test it, i have wrote the script bit to go to the old format now so yeah u can close the question if you like but i really makes me feel comfy here when i get to confirm someone else has got something working before smashing my head against a wall

i NEVER got them death scripts working, they would have been nice as Brutal doom, Brutality whatever seems to take up them specials (i have to check for grunts with a periodic search on a timer as the only reliable "has it been killed yet" query

thanks anyway