Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

MAP01 facelift

I've been more than busy these days, but I managed to find some time to work on stuff. It's not much, but at least it's something. I tested it in Chocolate, no issues as far as I can tell.

bEARV1H.png

Download here

Nice stuff! This is what I was also imagining for Map 01 but I don't know how to map yet. :)

Love the little throwbacks to Jon's The Cursed Hangar (or Freedoom's old MAP01, whichever works), the use of Aquatex really shines here. I can imagine these kind of facelifts helping the current Freedoom levels by a mile, far more attainable and favorable than creating whole new levels and putting old ones to "waste."

I looked inside the PWAD and there are some textures and a lamp sprite found there (-merge is needed for Chocolate, just a heads up), and looks like they're edited (I assume they're not just for this level :)), not that it's a bad thing since this facelift is fantastic!

Edited by GuyNamedErick : Double "current", oops

I was hoping to check this out once I got back from my vacation but it's already disappeared from the link in your post. Would you mind sharing it again?

6 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

I was hoping to check this out once I got back from my vacation but it's already disappeared from the link in your post. Would you mind sharing it again?

I have a copy on my desktop, so I'll have this up until Blastfrog can reupload it, I guess.

Dropbox link

Lots of clashing textures and colors (blue on brown, bright yellow on grey), sudden texture transitions, and it's overall very busy. For a first level, we don't want to overwhelm the player with a bunch of information competing for their attention. The first level should be kept simple to ease players into the game. 

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Apologies for using an unreliable upload service, I was too lazy to log into my Dropbox, heh. Also, I should've mentioned the necessity of using -merge in Chocolate.

Perhaps it is a little busy. Perhaps aquatex itself is a little busy looking, I might've overused it. A lot of the fine details with high contrast don't look so great in 320x200, imo.

The map is still pretty simple, just a horseshoe bend directly to the exit. The added secrets are there for replay value, as well as to demonstrate the concept of timed secrets and searching in weird spots. I wanted to tease the teleport secret from the window in the elevator secret, to motivate a curious player to find a way there (taking a cue from Romero's playbook).

I tried to do a lot of contrast with light and dark areas, should I tone it down some?

I dunno, I think MAP01 is great as it is. It's simple, uncluttered, short, and it introduces a number of concepts gradually to the player as the map plays out. The secrets are deceptively simple; You see an armor on top of a pillar, tempting you. The player wonders how they get up there, they notice the stairs, they go up the stairs and they see the wall come down revealing the switch. They flip the switch, and the "aha!" moment of realizing that you just lowered the platform containing the armor. This is a great way of introducing the player to the idea that you may have to go through multiple steps to reveal a secret, and that it may not be in the immediate surrounding area.

I think these kind of overhauls would be better suited to the later levels, where the player has a grasp of the mechanics and you'd be free to get a little more complicated on them.

The contrast stuff doesn't really work if you don't use complementing colors, it just clashes and looks garish. Also, consistent use of textures for areas and clear transitions would make it look less clashing.

Thanks, glad you like it. :)

@Doctor Nick This level is still much simpler than Wolf 3D's or Quake 1's first levels. I simplified the secrets (no more hidden switch, can directly access the balcony), added some detail (especially in the northern courtyard) and tried to make the texture choices a little less all over the place. Also tried to work more on actor placement, I wasn't satisfied with it before.

Here's my new revision: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rp999n5vx7ynvy/fd2map01bf.wad?dl=0

EDIT: Here's a screenshot album: https://imgur.com/a/89JVNJO

I also included some new weapon sounds, IMO they're improvements, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Edited by Blastfrog

If this is the one currently on repo, there are too many powerups in that secret. Even on skill 2 it feels very overpowered. Just an armor seems fine. Map itself looks good, textures kinda busy. 

this thread is old, and it may not be able for suggestions, but i'll suggest sticking to the old MAP 01's pallete (green, grey, blue, brown)

Edited by D4RKP1G

I've been revising things, hopefully this should be a lot more polished now, I wasn't quite satisfied with the state that it's in in the stable release.

I'd like to get some feedback and criticism so I can improve this further before submitting it to the repo.

map01.zip