Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kev The Galaxybender

Help changing ammo capacity for Zion HD

Question

I wanted to give the weapons the same ammo count as they would in the original doom (shotgun 50/100, bullets 200/400...etc)

I've used slade to open up the file but I'm not sure where to change these values. 

5 answers to this question

To edit weapons to use the original DooM weapon ammo, simply make/edit a weapon and then use "Weapon.AmmoUse1" and/or "Weapon.AmmoUse2" (Depending on if there's an alt-fire mode).

Clip = Pistol/Chaingun

Shell = Shotgun/Super Shotty

RocketAmmo = Rocket Launcher

Cell = Plasma Rifle/BFG9000

:)

On 8/31/2018 at 9:51 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

To edit weapons to use the original DooM weapon ammo, simply make/edit a weapon and then use "Weapon.AmmoUse1" and/or "Weapon.AmmoUse2" (Depending on if there's an alt-fire mode).

Clip = Pistol/Chaingun

Shell = Shotgun/Super Shotty

RocketAmmo = Rocket Launcher

Cell = Plasma Rifle/BFG9000

:)

First let me start off by saying I appreciate the help, I do so I don't want to come off as ungrateful. I'm not good at all at modding doom. All I'm ok at is editing files, and very simple basic edits mind you. I wouldn't know how to create a mod for it. 

second, since I'm bad at modding doom or understanding it, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. but will this increase the amount of ammo the weapons can hold?

So since I may be misunderstanding you, I will try to explain what I want to do. All I want to do is increase the amount of ammo you can carry. With and without the backpack. I'm not sure which file I need to edit to do this. 

You might not understand how to make mods for Doom yet, but you can learn. Look at the DECORATE for the classic Doom weapons as examples:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:DoomWeapon

In Slade, make a new wad and give it a name that indicates that it is a patch for Zion HD, and include a version number. In that wad, make a DECORATE lump. Since you want to change the ammo count, you need to edit the ammo, rather than the weapons. You only need to include what you are changing, and everything else will be inherited from the parent actor. Here is an example.

actor MyClip : Clip replaces Clip
{
  Inventory.Amount 10 // how much you get picking it up
  Inventory.MaxAmount 200 // how much you can have without a backpack
  Ammo.BackpackAmount 10 // how much you get in a backpack
  Ammo.BackpackMaxAmount 400 // how much you can have with a backpack
}

actor MyCLipBox : CLipBox replaces ClipBox
{
  Inventory.Amount 50
}

You will need to make replacements for whatever ammo the Zion weapons use. I have never dealt with custom ammo myself, so I don't know whether this will break things. If it does, I know what to do to fix it. Make replacements for the weapons that change the ammo type used to your ammo replacements.

To play it, load your patch file after Zion HD. This patch method leaved Zion itself unedited, you you can still play it with other players.

39 minutes ago, Empyre said:

You might not understand how to make mods for Doom yet, but you can learn. Look at the DECORATE for the classic Doom weapons as examples:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:DoomWeapon

In Slade, make a new wad and give it a name that indicates that it is a patch for Zion HD, and include a version number. In that wad, make a DECORATE lump. Since you want to change the ammo count, you need to edit the ammo, rather than the weapons. You only need to include what you are changing, and everything else will be inherited from the parent actor. Here is an example.

actor MyClip : Clip replaces Clip
{
  Inventory.Amount 10 // how much you get picking it up
  Inventory.MaxAmount 200 // how much you can have without a backpack
  Ammo.BackpackAmount 10 // how much you get in a backpack
  Ammo.BackpackMaxAmount 400 // how much you can have with a backpack
}

actor MyCLipBox : CLipBox replaces ClipBox
{
  Inventory.Amount 50
}

You will need to make replacements for whatever ammo the Zion weapons use. I have never dealt with custom ammo myself, so I don't know whether this will break things. If it does, I know what to do to fix it. Make replacements for the weapons that change the ammo type used to your ammo replacements.

To play it, load your patch file after Zion HD. This patch method leaved Zion itself unedited, you you can still play it with other players.

Ok, the concept makes since but I've never made a wad file before at all so this will be new. So I basically need to make an actor for the max amount of ammo for each ammo type being bullets, shells, rockets and cells right? I'll take a look at this and work on it this weekend. Thank you for the info.