Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pan

Blighted Moonbase IV - 100% this map for 200 bucks

Let's just consign this map to the annals of 'too hard'.

Anyone is free to send me a recording anytime until the 2019 deadline to claim the prize.

There's been a confusing amount of edits and updates, so just to be clear on the version that is accepted now I'll leave it as the last edited version with less blood sprites, a few more monsters and slightly higher FRPS.

Here's that link again for anyone who missed it;

http://www.mediafire.com/file/97xmkokv2m3j3f5/Blighted_Moonbase_IV-_Remastered.wad

I'll update the first post too, for clarity.

Edited by Pan

I'm late, but in case of whatevs. Everything just keeps getting better and better, lol

As far as I understand this last release of the moonmaze was preceded by mutual trolling and dissatisfaction due to the expected partial optimization. Although before all that there was sort of move toward each other. Aside from all fps Increase advices even interesting insight about GZDoom rendering appeared but that one was completely disregarded in the update. I mean, I can't get decent framerate in this edition. Sometimes I'm getting less than 10 frames. Still, too much sprites! Cunning Pan! I saw what you did! Perfect crop circles?! Wtf? UFO tricks?! 

Good stable framerate I can achieve only on a better hardware and apparently the map will never give strictly 30+ frames on most devices without serious work with an understanding of how to prevent the engine from drawing textures and sprites which player can't see behind the walls.

Thanks to @therektafire post I tested sort of rendering troubles a little. All things and monsters kind of render almost constantly and if there is a simple impassable line between you and them it won't guarantee good rendering avoidance. Probably there must be some additional requirements to hide them well from engine's eye. Maybe those are difficult to implement and such problems with sprites eventually must be ignored. The situation is reverse with walls. Impassable line reliably hides them. It's possible to draw just a single linedef with only impassable flag (better to preconfigure this initially) in the center of most of the walls in the map. First to create a small line on one end and then to stretch it to another end of the obsticle. In this way line will remain not divided on segments. Damn, I forgot about your caco arguments! Not sure if I suggested a good idea either. Seemingly this is a dead end, will wait, with such a pace we will celebrate 2019 with remastered part 8. Well, maybe some new memes will come up. 

I’m working on a new map that is more corridor-based. It is even bigger than Blighted Moonbase but it doesn’t have any of these frame rate issues because of its enclosed, corridor design. It is maybe 20% complete. I’ll keep working on it and I’ll likely run a new competition in a few months time ::-)

1 hour ago, Pan said:

I’m working on a new map that is more corridor-based. It is even bigger than Blighted Moonbase but it doesn’t have any of these frame rate issues because of its enclosed, corridor design.

"Corridor-based?" Admittedly, I don't know exactly what you mean by an enclosed corridor design, but it sounds like the design will involve rooms (probably not big) that are connected by passageways. Perhaps you can pull off a cramped, intimidating feel, and if you can, more power to you. But be aware that you're likely to hear about it from the "corridors suck" crowd and there are abundant commentaries that have been written on these forums about how corridors should be minimized, if not eliminated totally.

7 hours ago, Pegleg said:

"Corridor-based?" Admittedly, I don't know exactly what you mean by an enclosed corridor design, but it sounds like the design will involve rooms (probably not big) that are connected by passageways. Perhaps you can pull off a cramped, intimidating feel, and if you can, more power to you. But be aware that you're likely to hear about it from the "corridors suck" crowd and there are abundant commentaries that have been written on these forums about how corridors should be minimized, if not eliminated totally.

My bet is it's gonna be a random maze that instead of consisting of random walls placed randomly with wanton abandon there will be long flat corridors with random texturing and a bunch of random realm667 monsters spammed everywhere because "difficulty" and "brutalness" and "manliness" etc.

I can imagine something like formicary with a system of tunnels. The main thing is to eradicate passion for decorations!

I played a few slaughter maps for the last couple years and only one was really laggy. So I checked the most of what I played for things number and again it turned out only that map has preeminent result. And yet It is only twice as high as in your map! And now compare World Orifice with Blighted Moonbase.

15 hours ago, Pan said:

I’m working on a new map that is more corridor-based. It is even bigger than Blighted Moonbase but it doesn’t have any of these frame rate issues because of its enclosed, corridor design. It is maybe 20% complete. I’ll keep working on it and I’ll likely run a new competition in a few months time ::-)

It sounds like to me that you're trying to make a wolfenstein 3d map in doom. why dont you stick to wolfenstein 3d?  you have talent in those sort of levels.

15 hours ago, Pan said:

I’m working on a new map that is more corridor-based. It is even bigger than Blighted Moonbase but it doesn’t have any of these frame rate issues because of its enclosed, corridor design.

Just stopping by to point out that a map needs rooms. If you limit the bulk of the gameplay to corridors, your map is going to become a dull grind for the most part. Going for high monster counts in UDMF doesn't mean you need to limit yourself to mostly corridors, it just means you need to build your rooms and teleport batteries such that the engine can handle the "weight" more easily. Compartmentalizing the map can help greatly with this, and if you don't care much about how the map looks in the end, or how players get around, it can make a lot of sense to use teleports instead of long walkways loaded with hordes of useless pinkies.

5 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

Now under 2 hours, even had time to do a lap around the map checking if there were some missing monsters.

BMv4_100%_Anc.zip

Well done! I’ll check this and report back. Please PM me your details for payment!

I trust it’s the latest remastered version so I’m loading this demo with right wad? 

Is all collapsed? Tell me that the demo and the map is ok so I would try to understand what problems on my side make the desync appear. On what GZDoom version the demo was recorded?

Or upload the wad on what you recorded the run, Anc

Edited by Player177

i'm watching the run now. Ancalagon appears to be using the correct wad- the most recent remaster. The run is on track so far! Ancalagon kicking ass!

Update: Ancalagon just got taken down to 5% health, almost ruining a perfect run so far! This is getting tense. If this run turns out to be a success then i'll definitely upload it to youtube later. Very entertaining stuff. 

Edited by Pan

14 minutes ago, Pan said:

i'm watching the run now. Ancalagon appears to be using the correct wad- the most recent remaster. The run is on track so far! Ancalagon kicking ass!

Update: Ancalagon just got taken down to 5% health, almost ruining a perfect run so far! This is getting tense. If this run turns out to be a success then i'll definitely upload it to youtube later. Very entertaining stuff. 

Ok, very good! I'll try to redownload the remastered version

you are using the correct version. When I get to the end of this run, if you've met the requirements as you say, the prize is yours!

I've just gotten past your diabolos fight (very nice cat and mouse). Looking forward to seeing how you tackle hell and the desert. The additional archviles might cause you some problems. Let's see.

Ancalagon is the confirmed winner. He met all requirements and finished the map at 1 hour 47 minutes to claim the prize.

Ancalagon mastered all the boss areas with no points of near-death. Ancalagon's most dangerous moments were in the maze where he almost died several times. The fight with the diabolos was particularly memorable, as well as the archvile/mancubus outpost where Ancalagon was blown up by a hidden archvile and taken down to 5% health. Anacalgon didn't find any hacks or back doors in this map, he met all challenges head-on and destroyed them all! Very impressive. 

ancalagon.PNG.7e4c82e8fa860ecea02bb8e2cf1d3f4a.PNG

And so this concludes the Blighted Moonbase competitions. Thanks to all who have played.

Edited by Pan

Wow $200?! Congratulations on winning and a big thanks to the dude for actually putting the money up!

As much shit as he got for this weird map, actually a pretty cool person.

Man I should have had a crack at it, I just assumed some one of the usual insanely skilled guys would come out and claim it quick but I guess tolerance was too low.