Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Best Map in Ultimate Doom - Poll #2 (Unruly Evil vs. Hell Keep)

Match #2 - Unruly Evil vs. Hell Keep  

32 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. McGee's representation of a hell keep vs. Petersen's?

• E4M4: Unruly Evil
    • E3M1: Hell Keep

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/18 at 10:00 PM

I'm so sorry for creating a new thread. I don't know if the polls can be reset.

This will be a change in rules - there will now be a week to vote, with the votes closing every Friday in 12 AM GMT and another poll opening Friday 8 PM GMT (now BST because Daylight Saving Time). This one will be held longer because of reasons.

Anyway...

Throughout this week, the question is: Unruly Evil or Hell Keep?

Unruly Evil has a lot of opinions. As some hail it for being a breather map in the terror that is E4 and for its nice design which sticks out from the rest of the episode, it's also disliked by many people for feeling like a filler map with no standout, being out of place and just easy in general. 

Meanwhile, Hell Keep is a kick in the balls for most of the modern maps - monodirectional encounters, weird design decisions and decor spam in one room, but some argue it achieve what it wanted to achieve - welcome the player to hell. It's unlike anything seen yet, and it defies common sense, which is why some herald it as a great map.

Who wins? You decide!

Gonna go with e4m4 . E3M1 starts awesome but then turns into a dumb corridor with shit stuck in it. 

If you are gonna poll all maps why not have a thread showing all current results in one place. Possibly just an excel document organized like a tournament score board. 

I'm going to hand it to E4M4, but there isn't really much to recommend one or the other in my eyes. E4M4 really wins only because it's in my favorite episode.

Edit: In reference to the previous poll that I missed, I'll cast my vote in favor of E2M7 there.

I have a warm fuzzy soft spot for E3M1.  It's a weird level by any standards, but it's immensely memorable.  It's no surprise that the opening room crops up again and again in videos for new mods, HD remakes, model packs etc. etc.

Plus, it has the added benefit of playing into the awesomeness of the E3M9 trick.

Bumping this back to the top - four more days. Get yer votes in if you already haven't!

Voted for Unruly Evil. Hell Keep is one of the worst levels in the game. Not much more to it than a corridor.

Didn't Doomworld already establish Containment Area was the greatest original Doom map?

On 8/30/2018 at 11:20 PM, Pegg said:

Gonna go with e4m4 . E3M1 starts awesome but then turns into a dumb corridor with shit stuck in it. 

If you are gonna poll all maps why not have a thread showing all current results in one place. Possibly just an excel document organized like a tournament score board. 

This. E4m4 wins not because it's particularly good, but because e3m1, after a decent start, turns into that terrible corridor with pinkies stuck in it, and imps stuck in the exit room.

And a poll for all maps at once makes more sense.