Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

My Introduction To Doom

The first time I tried out Doom was on the SNES as a kid, but I'll get to that some other time.

My first actual experience with Doom was in the Triple Pack on Newgrounds and Y8 many years after. The Triple Pack was my introduction to Heretic and Hexen. Heretic was a lot of fun. I remember trying out Doom's god mode (IDDQD) cheat in Heretic for fun, and since it ran on the same engine I thought it would work. What I didn't realize was that the cheat killed me once I typed it in. That was a weird day. ^^'

Now Hexen...the game blew my mind at the time. It was a very fun game, and I felt like I was in the 90's when playing it! I always picked the Mage, explored the areas, and checked out what the game had to offer. It amazed me so much. Different classes, breakable objects, flippable doors, fall damage, and more! I had a ton of fun with Hexen.

The Triple Pack was one of the best things to ever happen in my life. I'm so glad to have experienced Doom, Heretic, and Hexen on it. What about you? What was your introduction to Doom and/or any of the id Tech 1 games?

On 4/28/2018 at 5:50 PM, Ex Oblivione said:

My earliest memory of Doom was sometime around the Christmas of 1993. My older brother installed it on the family computer and we spent countless hours mowing demons down with space shotguns and chainsaws. Our sister would watch with disapproval as zombiemen and imps would go splat from the rocket launcher. Doom has earned a spot in my heart. Oh those were the days.

*sheds tears*

Ok stop being a sentimental bastard!

My first experience with Doom was with the Shareware version from a random PC Gaming magazine. I installed it and was blown away... by how slow it ran. I tried it on our 286 machine. Yet, we reduced the window size a bit and still played it. xD

Unfortunately, I have blurred memories of the first time. It was either 1995 or 96 (or earlier), possibly a demo version or an alpha release, all I can recall are item pickups and their sfx, the status bar (specially doomguy's death face which scared the hell out of me) and a switch under an exit sign, my mother and I were trying to figure out how to flip it, we even pressed all the keys to see if doomguy could jump, without knowing it wasn't a feature in the game. Also, I remember seeing a red keycard in a window, similar to Underhalls but way darker. I also remember my mom got a new version, and she was playing a map alike Entryway. Meh, seriously can't remember much :/

my father showed it to me when I was 3 years old in 2007 and I was fascinated .............. I love you father for doing it!

now if we talk about how to enter the doom modding community here we go

sadly the PC died in 2014, and spend 1 year without doom, but I asked him again to get it, and without wanting me he got me the doom 95 exe (the one I had before), he got me the beautiful skulltag

that was the beginning of my wads

As I said in my profile, I met Doom with the SNES console around '97 with that glorious crimson cartridge (which is really rare). Then I met the game again but in PSX thanks to a 6 in 1 bundled disk which contained Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown (the equivalent of Duke Nukem 3D), Tenka, Doom, Final Doom and Hexen (which was terrible lol)

54 minutes ago, elend said:

My first experience with Doom was with the Shareware version from a random PC Gaming magazine. I installed it and was blown away... by how slow it ran. I tried it on our 286 machine. Yet, we reduced the window size a bit and still played it. xD

Doom is a 32bit game. It cannot run on a 286, which has a 16bit cpu architecture. You need at least a 386 to run it. You would also be hard pressed to find a 286 with 4 megabytes of ram.

It definitely ran on our 286, I definitely remember that. Or was it THAT slow on a 386???

EDIT: Just crawled the forums a bit and in 2002 someone wrote:

I dont think its gonna work on a 286. I have a 386 and when I try to play doom, it's so slow that it takes an eternity to walk a few steps.

So, it might have been our 386 then!

Edited by elend : clarification

Barely functional Snes Doom on a Snes emu for PS2.
(I really don't wanna elaborate on that)

1 hour ago, SOSU said:

Barely functional Snes Doom on a Snes emu for PS2.

Barely functional Snes Doom on a Snes emu for Xbox :D

The first time I played Doom was the shareware version (v. 1.2) in June, 1994.

It came bundled with Wolfenstein 3D, which I never got to play due to one of the 3.5" disks being corrupted. As I recall, I was the first person amongst my friends (we were in high school at the time) that had played Doom, so I had no frame of reference.

I played it on my parents' 486 DX-33 (I'm pretty sure by that time we'd added the Overdrive (I think that's what it was called) chip to double the speed to 66 MHz) with a 40 MB hard drive.

1 hour ago, zokum said:

You would also be hard pressed to find a 286 with 4 megabytes of ram.

Oh yeah, 4 MB RAM, I really like this as a memory to me. I played Doom 2 on my cousin's computer first, and I wanted to play that on my computer. Then, my cousin told me that you need 4 MB RAM instead of 2 MB RAM. I had a 586 back at the time. Still, it's kind of funny to think about back in the day, you have 1/1000 or even 1/4000 of RAM right now.

I first was introduced to Doom through the PSX version back when I was like 11 or 12. Afterwards I got Doom 64 and then the gba version of Doom 1. Then sometime later I got an old shareware disc of Doom for the pc and somehow it ran on an old windows xp laptop I used to have which is how I was introduced to the pc version.

I actually found v0.99 shareware on a tape backup used to back up a BBS in 1993! I ran it on a 486DX-50 with 8Mb memory, and a 40MHz local-bus video card, which gave me a pretty good frame rate, even full screen! Wow - didn't know that something like Doom was possible.

I've explained myself lots of times before about how i got into doom, so i'l try to be brief about it

During my early childhood first time i've ever saw doom was on a magazine covering the snes port, it had a cyberdemon screenshot and map layouts taken taken from the automap. The magazine gave me nightmares about being trapped in a maze with the colors of the automap with the cyberdemon.

First time i played doom was in a shareware cd that had doom 95. The installer had the spider demon while e2m6 played on the background. It was the creepiest thing i've ever saw at the time and when i got to play it my legs were shaking in fear by the time i got to e1m2, so i stopped.

I reconnected with the game around 2003 when i found ghostbusters doom. I was really into the movie and it kept fascinating me the fact that there was a doom mod about it.  Around 2004, more or less when doom 3 was released, i started to pay attention to Doom itself and i felt in love with the game, around the same time i started to mod the game and the rest is history

Well, long story short (which I have told a few times already), my first taste of Doom was Doom II on a Windows 98 machine back in 2002 or early 2003, don't remember exactly, I was only 6 at the time.

It was very realistic compared to the rest of my games, at the time I was exclusively playing NES games on a clone system until I got my first PC, and it was the most advanced game in the library. I'm pretty sure it was also the vanilla game and therefore, didn't run through the Doom95 port. I also had Wolfenstein 3D but it never managed to capture me as much as Doom did. I never finished it or any of the other games (I didn't have the other entries on the PC) until I returned to Doom sometime around 2014, I couldn't make it further than MAP07 Dead Simple back then since the Mancubi frightened me.