Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Doom 2016 Soundtrack on Vinyl

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Dear Hoplite said:

Wait Mick worked on BL2's music too?! I knew D4's soundtrack felt familiar

I just checked to see who made Borderlands's music and it actually wasn't Mick Gordon, my mistake! Some of the songs were actually Sonic Mayhem (Quake 2) and somehow I got it confused in my head!

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Soundtrack

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/5/2018 at 3:43 AM, Immorpher said:

I just checked to see who made Borderlands's music and it actually wasn't Mick Gordon, my mistake! Some of the songs were actually Sonic Mayhem (Quake 2) and somehow I got it confused in my head!

 

Thought so. Mick didn't have any involvement in Borderlands 2 as far as I recalled.

 

BTW, funny little mistake on the wiki page you linked:

 

Quote

The music for Borderlands was created by Raison Varner (Gearbox audio lead), Cris Velasco, Jesper Kyd, Sascha Dikiciyan and Sonic Mayhem.

 

Sascha is Sonic Mayhem.

Share this post


Link to post

i got the boxset that had the red vinyls, CD and slipmat included. it was definitely worth it. the presentation is stellar and the box itself is really nice and sturdy. i don't know how different the vinyls sound in comparison to the CD, but it sounded pretty beefy for being on vinyl. i'd say the box itself is worth it just for the nice presentation and box it comes with.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i got the boxset that had the red vinyls, CD and slipmat included. it was definitely worth it. the presentation is stellar and the box itself is really nice and sturdy. i don't know how different the vinyls sound in comparison to the CD, but it sounded pretty beefy for being on vinyl. i'd say the box itself is worth it just for the nice presentation and box it comes with.

By the time I had the cash to pre-order it the CD and slipmat version was sold out. But I wanted the vinyls mostly anyway and I agree it sounds great!

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i don't know how different the vinyls sound in comparison to the CD, but it sounded pretty beefy for being on vinyl.

As far as I know, audio quality is better on vinyl. (At least on fresh ones, as I've heard that the more one is listened to, the worse the audio quality becomes.) I have nothing to back up these claims though :P

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Averagewalrus23.9 said:

As far as I know, audio quality is better on vinyl. (At least on fresh ones, as I've heard that the more one is listened to, the worse the audio quality becomes.) I have nothing to back up these claims though :P

Technically on vinyl since it is analog the "etching" can be finer that the 44.1 kHz, 16 bit limitation of CD audio, the quality can be better. However it depends on how the music was produced. A lot of digital audio workstations tend to recommend staying at CD quality and can become unpredictable at higher qualities (so Mick Gordon's original audio could be at this rate). But when recording live audio like guitar it is recommended to work at 96 kHz, 24 bit, which is much higher quality than CD, and Mick Gordon did a ton of this (also with his analog synths in the "Doom matrix") so his final output may be much better than CD.

Random aside: I always wondered if they could have made the laserdisc analog video format into audio, so you could get the "potential" finer detail of analog but without the damage over time the needle does on vinyl records.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×