Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Raycaster engine with slopes in 1993?

Just randomly stumped upon this:

Never played the game before, only console Jurassic Park games. Slopes are at 4:08

Is this raycaster? Or it's real 3d like Ultima Underworld but with fixed straight camera which makes it look kinda like a raycaster...

Doesn't Ultima Underworld from 1992 also have slopes?

EDIT: Someone ought to extract those Jurassic Park textures into a useable texture resource...

33 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

EDIT: Someone ought to extract those Jurassic Park textures into a useable texture resource...

Life finds a way.

*Jeff Goldblum laugh*

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

Why didn't Doom have slopes?

I want to say it has to do with optimization and stability. The way the engine draws its geometry, it may have been too costly or glitchy to be worth it.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I want to say it has to do with optimization and stability. The way the engine draws its geometry, it may have been too costly or glitchy to be worth it.

I believe that was exactly the reason. It was also the same reason Carmack decided against blood and bullet hole decals on walls I believe.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:39 PM, GoatLord said:

UU isn't raycaster IIRC, but a true polygonal engine. Cool but slow on a 1992 hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised if Underworld had a hybrid system with a simple renderer for floors and ceilings and a polygonal renderer for 3D geometry. The 3D objects in the game are visibly different from the world geometry, notably they are untextured IIRC.

"Chasm: The Rift" had a tile-based engine that was littered with 3D structures to make the levels seem more lively. This might be an early example of that.

But how does the renderer for UU work? Can you even do a raycaster with true camera paning, i.e. no fake Y-shearing?

UU looks like it's rendering in full 3D, as there appears to be full use of Z, although Wikipedia talks of it being raycaster-like, i.e. floor and ceiling properties. It can handle angled walls but oddly only at 45 degree increments. 

I watched some clips highly suggestive of true 3D rendering, perhaps like running Doom in OpenGL despite the engine being fundamentally 2D-ish. There's some severe texture warping in some areas that looks like affine texture mapping.