Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elend

Most beautiful map layouts

When getting into mapping I noticed, that certain map layouts look very beautiful. Almost like art. Case in point and without further ado:

(note that map layouts may contain possible spoilers)

"The Given" by Dobu Gabu Maru

the_given_automapk7dx4.png

or

"The Womb" by Ribbiks

map17glfr1.png

Automaps borrowed from Wad Archive.

Edited by elend

7 minutes ago, elend said:

"The Womb" by (whom actually?)

Reveal hidden contents

map17glfr1.png

Automaps borrowed from Wad Archive.

It's by @Ribbiks, from "Sunlust". He makes a lot of those.

Dobu Gabu Maru Is well known for making really beautiful map layouts

Spoiler

Saturnine Chapel
SatChap.wad_MAP01.jpg

Here's one i personally like due to it's curvy design, its map 16 from Interception by FranckFRAG

Spoiler

Interception_MAP16_map.png

4 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Soul Chambers  |  Deus Vult II: Second Edition (unreleased)  |  Huy Pham

Hide contents

9ugMfSZl.jpg

Wow - was this map ever released in any unofficial form? Interested to see what that looks like in game.

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Wow - was this map ever released in any unofficial form? Interested to see what that looks like in game.

Nope, but about 5 years ago (yeah...) Huy posted a short video from it:

56 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

The automap art I'm... less proud of. :P

Yeah, here comes the rooster!

Spoiler

2 hours ago, elend said:

@Dragonfly Incredible! I can‘t really imagine how much work this must have been to make this mapart playable! Really gorgeous.

That rooster on the automap was actually made during a speedmapping session. It's one of two maps he made in that 2ish hour session.

I agree that the line art on the rooster was quite nice (and said so in my comments on ASS 37).

Some of these layouts are works of art on their own but others like the Soul Chambers are so overdetailed they look more like a fractal made by a computer than something made by a human being.

4 hours ago, Solmyr said:

Some of these layouts are works of art on their own but others like the Soul Chambers are so overdetailed they look more like a fractal made by a computer than something made by a human being.

Yeah that's especially true of dobu's the given. That galaxy shaped thing. And Ribbiks' and huy pham's work remind of marine creatures... too bad the latter left. I'd like to see the faces of the guys at id if someone showed them these maps in 1993.

Edited by Pirx

Let‘s also not forget Map 08 called „54-Pit“ in the Japanese Community Project, which features a comic. 

f7d5224b-6820-4dc6-9exac61.png

Unfortunately it doesn‘t shine through very well in this automap colorscheme. :/

13 hours ago, elend said:

@Dragonfly Incredible! I can‘t really imagine how much work this must have been to make this mapart playable! Really gorgeous.

I somehow missed this comment, thanks for the compliments!

I made the full map in three days, as this was the duration permitted for for the 5th Joy of Mapping session. :P

https://www.dfdoom.com/project/joy-of-mapping-5/

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/98041-the-joy-of-mapping-5-winter-weekend-beta-2-released/

Nothing amazing, but I couldn't have been the only one who freaked when they realized Slough of Despair was a hand.

sod.PNG

41 minutes ago, Phoby said:

Nothing amazing, but I couldn't have been the only one who freaked when they realized Slough of Despair was a hand.

I vaguely remember bringing up the automap near the end of E2M2 and saying to myself, "Hey, that's a hand!"

I didn't know about the booger on the finger until many years later.

There are some 1994 maps out there that look somewhat ugly in-game, but gorgeous or at least extremely interesting on the automap. Here's NIGHTFALL, I remember quite a few other ancient maps where the automap was marvelous, I'll share them as I come across them.

E1M1.PNG