Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperPCGamer

I need help with midis

I did a song a while back that I wish could be turned into a DooM MIDI. I used a MIDI converter tool to make the MP3 into a MIDI, but when I did I turned the MIDI into an MP3 and it converted it into a piano-only MIDI and not a MIDI with all instruments. Can someone help?

An MP3 is a single mono/stereo track containing all instruments in a given piece of music including percussion. MP3 -> MIDI converters work by analysing the frequencies in that audio track and converting them into the corresponding MIDI notes, but as everything is on a single track, it can not differentiate between instruments. I warned about these in one of your previous threads on the subject. MIDI transcriptions of streamed audio are pretty much always human-made.

Unless you want your midi to sound like this, you shouldn't be doing that, real accurate mp3 to midi is impossible for the reasons Eris said above

I was only joking on that last thread, sorry haha. MP3 to MIDI converter's only 'useful' purpose are to make memes of songs pretty much.

Honestly it sounds to me like the computer did most of the heavy lifting for you... you got the notes, now all you need is to separate them and choose instruments; do you want the computer to hold your hand as well?

5 minutes ago, Fonze said:

do you want the computer to hold your hand as well?

pretty much

6 minutes ago, Grimosaur said:

MP3 to MIDI converter's only 'useful' purpose are to make memes of songs pretty much.

dammit

8 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Honestly it sounds to me like the computer did most of the heavy lifting for you... you got the notes, now all you need is to separate them and choose instruments; do you want the computer to hold your hand as well?

Hmm that's a tad unfair in all honesty. I linked the eighth wonder of the world that is TIMPANI.MP3 in that last thread - that was a MP3-MIDI conversion of Broadside of the Broadsword from Rogue Legacy that materialised when Estranged was about to be released on idgames, now granted it's a pretty unfriendly song to begin with due to its use of polyrhythms, but here's how that resulting MIDI looked in my editor:

Yz8xmOV.png

Decoding this? No thanks.

It is and it isn't; I would disagree with that to a small extent Eris. On the note of decoding that jumbled mess as it appears yes that's insane, (and of course look at the song choice) but for somebody who's ear isn't well trained that is still a really useful tool that at least gives one the notes to start with, leading to nailing down the key signature and therefore the foundations of the track. Even after the starting work has been done that tool can still be used as a reference for additional info beyond what an actually competent person would need using their trained ear.

the only sane way to get a MIDI of your track sounding good is to do it yourself. i'd be assuming that since you made the track, yourself, that you'd have the best idea on how to transcribe it into a MIDI, since MIDI composition is much easier to get into.

30 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

the only sane way to get a MIDI of your track sounding good is to do it yourself. i'd be assuming that since you made the track, yourself, that you'd have the best idea on how to transcribe it into a MIDI, since MIDI composition is much easier to get into.

then again I know nothing about making MIDIs