Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Old farts club

Since I was born in 1965, I am right on the cusp between Baby Boomers and Generation X. I kind of identify with both.

6 hours ago, Pegg said:

Didn't really use any exercises. Just spent like 5 minutes every morning with my posture adjusted against a wall so I got used to how I should be standing. Fixing posture in chair is way harder though, it can get very annoying to try and sit in one way for a long time.

Holy shit, if that works then I don't even know dude thanks

On 9/1/2018 at 12:32 PM, elarmadillo3 said:

I guess some older relatives introduced them to the games.

Hell, my Dad introduced me to Doom back in 1994, and other relatives showed me custom Doom WADs a few years later.

I've played PS1 Doom from 1998 and had many DM and COOP games with link-cable (mostly Final Doom).
Interesting enough I meet DOSDoom in somewhere of middle 2000's. Later with connection to internet I realized that many wads are made for Doom and even whole communities.

I like where I am. Doom is Nostalgic, Amiga games like Turrican are VERY nostalgic. I got to appreciate the 90s are a child, seen games go from 2D, 3D and everything that's not a PC.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:44 AM, MFG38 said:

I certainly feel like an old fart in more ways than one, for instance:

1. I despise most memes (while still enjoying a select few).
  2. I find most music today soulless and boring.
  3. I still buy CDs.
  4. Vintage hardware and obscure '90s video games fascinate me.
  5. My idea of a fun night is one spent home rather than out drinking.

And I'm only 24.

Heh - this hipster list is very typical of the vocal Millennials that we disparage - you're doing nothing to make yourself an old fart.

I think I'm near enough dead in the middle of the Millennial generation myself, being born in '89, but going by what Bauul has been saying about the generational differences (and other comments and articles I've read on the subject) I think I most identify with Gen X. I feel like, had I have been born about 10-15 years earlier (making me roughly the same age as most of my colleagues) I'd have gotten quite a bit more out of life, as what I like and what I value seems to stem from the 80s and early 90s more than anything else. I'm definitely more a "property" guy than an "experiences" one and I don't put much stock in a lot of what drives the most vocal trends today (like being "woke" and caring about feelings/identity). 

Saying that, I'd be a totally different person, so for all I know I'd be hankering after the 60s or 70s if I was old enough to have lived the 80s and been an adult in the 90s. This day and age isn't so bad, after all, I just feel like I missed out on something because I was there but not old enough to appreciate it.

As an aside, I think "iGeneration" is quite fitting the 19-5 year-olds of today (generations are about 15 years, right?), as they really are growing up in and with the internet... Mostly due to my generation and their being "always on" themselves. I wonder if we'll get some kind of neo-Luddite thing going on at some point, or if it'll be as normal to them as roads full of cars are to me.

7 hours ago, Phobus said:

As an aside, I think "iGeneration" is quite fitting the 19-5 year-olds of today (generations are about 15 years, right?), as they really are growing up in and with the internet... Mostly due to my generation and their being "always on" themselves. I wonder if we'll get some kind of neo-Luddite thing going on at some point, or if it'll be as normal to them as roads full of cars are to me.

As someone who would be in that generation, I despise that potential title. Not because I don't think it's fitting of my generation, but because I've been exposed to people using the i- or u- prefix in their titles so much that I'm absolutely sick of it. Attending a university where the administration, whom I assume must have an average age of seventy, thinks it's """cool""" and """hip""" to slap a u- in front of everything does not help.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:41 AM, Empyre said:

Since I was born in 1965, I am right on the cusp between Baby Boomers and Generation X. I kind of identify with both.

Ahh somebody older than me appeared. I was born in 66. Time for a nap. ;)