Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Interstellar Sickness & Shaman's Device

9 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Uh oh, it's the return of terrible commentary that no one asked for!

Category 2, 166 kills, probably the most agonising place to die because a little longer and the kill count could be so much more. Down to the bottom for me this month.

I enjoyed your commentary, Eris. You sounded great for a guy who'd been up 26 hours. 

I died my first time through there, too, when I tried to beat it with the PG. RL worked much better on my second try.

I'll be watching many demos and practicing these gorgeous maps like crazy. I like pretty much everything about them except all the snipers out beyond the Kuiper Belt. Especially the Revvies! Homing rockets coming at ya from the moons of Jupiter. Yay! :D 

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

I enjoyed your commentary, Eris. You sounded great for a guy who'd been up 26 hours. 

I died my first time through there, too, when I tried to beat it with the PG. RL worked much better on my second try.

I'll be watching many demos and practicing these gorgeous maps like crazy. I like pretty much everything about them except all the snipers out beyond the Kuiper Belt. Especially the Revvies! Homing rockets coming at ya from the moons of Jupiter. Yay! :D 

You and Hexa have your work cut out for you, with Naza making a guest entry that consisted of almost finishing both maps.

I agree Eris, you sounded great and seemed to play well for having been up for 26 hours straight. I think the last time I stayed up for that long I had started hearing voices in empty rooms by hour 26.

1 minute ago, DaIcemann76 said:

Cat 2 run.  Survived a revenant ambush with 1% health, but the boneheads eventually got their revenge.

Map 20?

19 hours ago, Steve D said:

I like pretty much everything about them except all the snipers out beyond the Kuiper Belt. Especially the Revvies! Homing rockets coming at ya from the moons of Jupiter. Yay! :D 

Now this sounds like some interstellar sickness.

58 minutes ago, Pirx said:

Now this sounds like some interstellar sickness.

If you gather some agitated rockets, you'll be like Saturn

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hk0zkaatd2ed8ek/DWIronman26_JudgeDeadd-2.lmp/file

Category: 2. I played through CChest4 once, long ago, though I didn't remember much about these particular maps.
Survived map20 but died to a dead revenant on 21.

I'm honestly pretty satisfied with my performance, I stink at dueling cyberdemons in tight quarters but I got the one on map20 without getting hurt.

Total kills: 323/321 + 117/300 = 440/623 but this includes Arch-Vile resurrections, not sure how is it scored...

Category 2 demo. Finished both maps. 100% keyboard action. The scariest thing on map20 was possibility of getting noscoped by Cyberdemon. The scariest thing on map21 IMO is Viles deciding to attack instead of teleporting away.

MAP20 - 24:19.49 (24:19)  K: 321/321  I: 125/127  S: 4/5
MAP21 - 35:04.40 (59:23)  K: 297/300  I: 255/334  S: 4/4

Edited by Beginner

7 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

Total kills: 323/321 + 117/300 = 440/623 but this includes Arch-Vile resurrections, not sure how is it scored...

If the HUD shows the monster total count increasing with any resurrection or lost soul spawning, the total difference is removed and subtracted from the kill count, which allows us to use the same rule set to account for both prboom and (g)zdoom playback. This does mean we can run into some discrepancies in cases where players don't end up killing any of these "extras" en route to their death (their percentage will go down!), but this only affects the more advanced ports and it seems preferable to allowing them to be brought closer to 100% for free.

I'm not sure if I've held this discussion before—possibly in the Disturbia thread—but I'm willing to hear suggestions. @RjY talked about the possibility of counting the player's sector coverage as a means to rank instead, which I thought was interesting but probably not employable as the norm.

Smart totals in prboom+ reveals that you scored a solid 100% for MAP20, though. Nice going! Strong performance by you.

Edited by Alfonzo : spellingo

I feel sick. Just awash with nausea. It's supposed to be the fun bit at the end. Why was I reluctant to pick the invulnerability up sooner? I knew what was coming and still bottled it. All I had to do was walk forward before what I knew was going to happen... happened.

cc420_ironman_alfnz.zip

Category 2. Last played this in full when I tested it in 2010. I have no idea how many kills I got because I was so dismayed I just left the game cold and I'm not going back in there to check, thanks.

Does anyone have a paper bag?

Did a doubletake when I saw this month's ironman choice =o. I find it pretty flattering haha. Gonna be pouring through these playthroughs! Seems some shenanigans have already ensued.

13 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

Tragedy

Deepest apologies for this particular shenanigan.

I'll make an entry as well at some point. Cat 3 I suppose? Technically I haven't played them in a while, but I did live in these maps for a good amount of hours so I'd consider that a pretty unfair advantage. Going to try and stream it this time too. Course' I'll have to figure out how that all works first.

Edited by lupinx-Kassman : Autocorrect >:(

36 minutes ago, lupinx-Kassman said:

Cat 3 I suppose? Technically I haven't played them in a while, but I did live in these maps for a good amount of hours so I'd consider that a pretty unfair advantage.

You might think so, but I know I've died in levels that I've made, specifically because I forgot about an encounter that I put there. But if you're watching all the playthroughs, that likely won't happen to you. You're probably also much better than me (not exactly a high bar, but still), so it probably wouldn't have happened to you anyway.

By the way, nice work. I hadn't played these before now, but the detailing (especially the exterior detailing) is fantastic.

1 hour ago, lupinx-Kassman said:

Cat 3 I suppose? Technically I haven't played them in a while, but I did live in these maps for a good amount of hours so I'd consider that a pretty unfair advantage.

Not really. You can still die in some traps due of bad methodical gameplay ;)

fun fact: 27 is by far my favourite number

funnier fact: this is, overall, the 27th official ironman challenge

funniest fact: HAHAHA I SURVIVED GTFO NAZA THE KUP IS MINE

The run can be viewed here, this time it was a live stream. You can see it was my first stream by me overall having no idea what I'm doing. Also lag, wooh. I might have to consider going back to prboom for future streams since my computer is clearly inadequate for streaming complex maps on gzdoom.

Category 2. I'd say it's more like category 1.5 due to how many years have passed since I last played, but that's not an actual category... so two felines it is then.

Interstellar Stickness was cleared in 23:18, with 325/328 monsters killed.

Shazam's Device was cleared in 30:31, with 306/309 monsters killed.

Total: 53:50, 631/637 dead.

Time for @Steve D to find his inner Krypto and stomp my face in the dust.

Edited by HexaDoken : gah the goddamn category when will i stop forgetting

25 minutes ago, HexaDoken said:

Time for @Steve D to find his inner Krypto and stomp my face in the dust.

That would be awesome to see.

Not because anyone wants to see your face stomped in the dust (OK, I don't, I can't speak to others), but because it would be cool to see "The Ancient Doomer" morph into Bloodite Krypto for a session (and Bloodite Krypto seems to be a very nice person ... just not to demonic monsters).

@HexaDoken Congratulations, Hex! I guarantee that you're gonna win the Keyboard Kup unless SAV88 shows up. And yours will be the very first full playthrough I watch, so the timing is perfect. Looking forward to it!

@Pegleg Maybe with 3 months of practice I could go fast enough to dream of playing like Krypto. Oh, who am I kidding? I could only dream to dream of playing like that. ;D

I did a casual fast gameplay just for trying it again (of course, my run was already submitted and following almost the same rules by adding freelook, so this doesn't count) and I did this result...

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180906_180345.png.9f80e205c522980888090b1a89f815e2.png

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

Uhh, so what are the rules again? More kills is better? Or is it only if you don't reach the end?

You're ranked by time only if you survive the challenge (exit MAP21), correct.

so i did a bad, I was on map 20 after a while setting up my wad files (cosmetic stuff and trying to figure out why GZDoom was crashing non stop) but that aside, I maybe got to the first mancubus and underestimated how dangerous he can be. lowered its health to a point where you could just breathe on that mancubai and it would have prolly fallen over, so I decide to show off with berserk fists. I rush at him and 3 swings of my fist and I missed each time following my immediate embarrassing demise.

wanna be bad at video games? take notes im giving them out for free...

2 hours ago, Fiendzy said:

so i did a bad, I was on map 20 after a while setting up my wad files (cosmetic stuff and trying to figure out why GZDoom was crashing non stop) but that aside, I maybe got to the first mancubus and underestimated how dangerous he can be. lowered its health to a point where you could just breathe on that mancubai and it would have prolly fallen over, so I decide to show off with berserk fists. I rush at him and 3 swings of my fist and I missed each time following my immediate embarrassing demise.

At least it was a Mancubus. I tried to punch demons once (with a berserk) and had to run away because I was so bad at it. Yes, demons.

2 hours ago, Fiendzy said:

wanna be bad at video games? take notes im giving them out for free...

Maybe you and I could collaborate on those free notes ... 

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Maybe you and I could collaborate on those free notes ... 

+ 1 more volunteer here :v .

2 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

+ 1 more volunteer here :v .

Seeing my recent endeavors, I'm willing to help too!

Heres where my run started after alot of messing around. this is why i don't do this first thing in the morning and this is why I hate trying to be fancy xD
but I got no one else to blame but my self. I always end up doing it xD

Edited by Fiendzy

And that is why you don't need to use the fist (even with berserk) folks and less when you have a fatso ahead of you, don't try that at home plz...

@Fiendzy

You had such a strong start to the run. I liked it. Had I not known where it was headed, I would've thought you were sure to progress rather far. Sure, the nearly simultaneous hit by the Caco and the Hell Knight hurt, but with berserk you were OK. I think you ended up taking your first swing a tad early, which doomed you.

Not that I'm judging. I don't want anyone to ever think that I would judge anyone's play.

No worries friend, its all fun and games here xD sometimes you gotta sit there and laugh at your self. Mind you next time I attempt at it, Im not doing it first thing in the morning (I didn't even consume my first cup of coffee that day) LOL

Type 4: I prepared for this along with being a tester on these maps.  So I have a rather large unfair advantage.

Scouted these maps twice each with god mode to remember where everything is.  Also did one practice run which ended to a revenant near the end of 20.  Decided that more practice attempts weren't really going to help get a better outcome and went for it.  Map 20 went according to plan other than being nearly dead before the megasphere.  Somehow didn't trigger one pair of revenants which suits me fine.  Map 21, I believe I hit the pinnacle of bad luck getting roasted three consecutive times by the same archvile that refused to teleport way.  Jagoff.  Didn't even make it to yellow key cyber which is less scary if you're aware of its transport path.

279 kills on 20/ 126 kills on 21  So 405 total but I may be remembering wrong as I'm stewing from the circumstances of my defeat.

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 -complevel 9

dwiron_interstellar_cnr.zip

Edited by Crusader No Regret