Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyRaptor

Rubicon Map01 Take 2

Heyo, a month or so ago I released the first map in my megawad, Rubicon. I've since modified the level a bit. It's about double the size of the original, and I took out a lot of the ammo ( a common complaint last time I released it was that there was way too much) and added more enemies and a keycard, and made the secrets harder to find.

You can get it here. Please LMKWYT and how I can improve it, but please keep in mind that it IS the first level, so it's a bit small.

screenshot looks good. I'll dl and try it later tonight. Anyway CyRaptor, you the same guy who plays as CyRaptor on zdaemon?

The screenshot's from an older version, although the area it was taken hasn't changed much in the new revisions.

Yeah, I'm the same guy who goes under CyRaptor on ZDaemon, but I don't go on all that much, and haven't been on for ages. I suck at deathmatch anyway (except on Map07, which I can sometimes win for some reason).

k, was just wondering cause someone called CyRaptor whooped my ass on map01 just today.

Review of Rubicon01 by CyRaptor

Replaces map01 and nothing else.

Tested at UV difficulty (it's a walk in the park on lower skill settings).

No errors.

Rubicon01.wad is part of a work in progress. More specific this is going to be map01 of an upcoming Doom2 megawad and it fits the bill quite nicely.

Architechture/texturing-wise this map is done in a rather common style I would call "new oldschool" which combines an oldschool (often E1) texture job with architechtural sensibilities of a newer date. The design is very well done. This level is quite short as fits the first level of a megawad, but is not as short as to be an excuse for itself, like first levels in megawads sometimes tend to be. The layout is neither simple nor complicated with a nice helping of decorations and several rather clever architechtural features. Especially the area around the entrance door has a neat concept. The level is non-linear in a circular fashion where you have a choice whether to take it the right or the left way round. Only a single key is used for the door to the exit area. There is a nice blend of indoor and outdoor areas and they enhance the feeling of walking in a n actual building contra a set of random dungeon passages. There are several secrets hidden in various ways. (I didn't find the fourth one).

Gameplay wise this level only uses the basic enemies (imps, demons, basic former humans, shotgunners) which again fit the role of an introductory level nicely. It rams it's point home by shotgunners who are often thrown right in your face and seldomly alone. The other monsters fail to be anything more than a mild nuisance. Health is sparse except for a big fat soul sphere secret right at the end (a medikit cache would probably be more fitting). A suit of green armor is generously doled out at the start however, and the level offers up the shotgun and through secrets the rocket launcher and a berserk pack. You will not be in need of ammo, but the level doesn't pelt you with boxes of it either. The rocket launcher is clearly meant for future use. The trap in the shotgun room is fairly obvious but it was probably meant to be.

All in all a fairly neat little level with good varied architechture that would probably be a bit too short for a single level, but perfect as level 1 of a megawad.

Thanks for the nice review, Little Faith. It was quite the ego boost ;)

Anybody else willing to give it a try?

Cyrapter=The One

A Doomgod who owns on Doom2 Map01 deathmatch on Zdaemon.

Could this be an imposter, or is it another person but shares the same name?

Just a coincidence, I guess... CyRaptor's been my screenname for as long as I can remember, and I suck at deathmatch. It's not spelled the same way though?

it's spelled the same way, CyRaptor. I'd really like to know who that Doomgod is.