Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukiro

Sky rendering inconsistencies (GZDoom, get your shit together)

Seconding this. At the very least GZDoom should turn off that gradient in software.

This might sound silly, but could you generate a GL skybox from the sky texture so it is more-or-less scaled and aligned correctly in GZDoom?

14 minutes ago, Linguica said:

This might sound silly, but could you generate a GL skybox from the sky texture so it is more-or-less scaled and aligned correctly in GZDoom?

That might be possible, but the concern to me is that a seemingly Boom and MBF compatible source port will render those wads incorrectly if they use a non-standard sky height (and arguably anything Y aligned to a regular 128 px sky will also break). So instead of mappers making special concessions to the engine, I suggest it's updated to allow for a more turnkey compatibility with Boom format content.

The skies should be drawn to keep the horizon line in the sky texture at the same point on the screen for all texture heights and all screen resolutions.

The horizon drawn by the ground flats, and the horizon in the sky texture need line up to look right.

How high up the screen the mountains are is not as important.  What happens to be drawn at the top of the screen does not matter much.

PrBoom kept the horizon consistent.  GZ has the horizon line all over the place.

No one should be changing their sky textures to adapt to this inconsistency.     If and when this gets fixed in the code, any "fixed" skies will now be mis-positioned.

Viewing below the horizon was typically blocked by the rendering of the ground.  In some wads, you could walk to a balcony , and would be able to see the repeat of the sky texture below the horizon.

I have felt that for most usages, drawing any sky below the horizon as black would have served better.

On wads that decently hid the view below the horizon it would not matter, and it would look better for those wads that allowed seeing below the horizon.

Edited by wesleyjohnson

1 hour ago, ukiro said:

So instead of mappers making special concessions to the engine, I suggest it's updated to allow for a more turnkey compatibility with Boom format content.

I agree, but it's worth considering a way to sidestep this issue if the port itself doesn't get updated to handle it. Might be nice to look into creating a tool to generate a cubemap from a Doom sky anyway so people can use it to do other things (e.g. fake reflection from a Doom sky in a cubemap).