Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Is there any Japanese people who like Doom? There's gotta be at least one person.

Japan is a very unique, mysterious, and most importantly, special country to me. Doom is also one of my favorite games, along with Duke Nukem. Is there anyone who is Japanese that likes Doom?

I am aware that American things only get popular in Japan if the people who made them are lucky (Disney, SpongeBob, and stuff like that tend to be popular in Japan, but not Doom, or Wolfenstein). But is there anyone in Japan that likes Doom? I'm not asking for a bunch of Japanese people here. I'm asking for AT LEAST ONE.

Doom did get ports to the NEC-PC98 and DOS/V. I don't believe it's that popular over in the East due to its high level of violence, especially considering that the Japanese trailer for the Switch port of DOOM 2016 doesn't have that much action in it.

21 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Doom did get ports to the NEC-PC98 and DOS/V. I don't believe it's that popular over in the East due to its high level of violence, especially considering that the Japanese trailer for the Switch port of DOOM 2016 doesn't have that much action in it.

Is there a Japanese localization for Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom?

3 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Doom 2 got a port, but nothing else it seems.

800px-PC9800_Doom_2_CD.jpg

EDIT: PSX Final Doom was released in Japan though.

3 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_in_Japan

Ports, but no words on whether other changes have been made. On the other hand, Doom 64 was indeed censored, in a strange way that is...

36 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

So they just keep the dialogue in-game in English?

It's a common practice in Japan that the original, "domestic" version has Kanji subtitles, but English vocals.

Also, on the subject: AFAIK @Nine Inch Heels is partially Japanese, so guess she counts as well?...

I wonder how good will a Japanese player be playing DooM...

...Oh god.

It would be interesting though, I don't know any Japanese who plays DooM, due to me having generally english and spanish friends, I think a few from other countries but no Japanese.

...I want to play a Wad or Mod made by them that is not JCP :^)

For some reason, it's difficult for anything American to become popular in Japan. Popular stuff like Disney and SpongeBob for example managed to become successful over there but XBOX is considered to be a laughingstock in Japan, most Japanese prefer Nintendo or Sony.

To be honest, that last statement kind of bothers me. For computers, most Japanese people use Windows which is also from Microsoft, and XBOX and Windows share some similarities (even more similarities recently, what with the whole UWP thing). So what's their deal?

If the Japanese were really that loyal to their own country by buying products for their own country only, they would have picked a Japanese Linux distro instead of Windows localized in Japanese. Maybe there's something that I am not understanding.

Okay, yes, I admit that I have a hard time staying on one subject most of the time.

10 hours ago, Cell said:

Also, on the subject: AFAIK @Nine Inch Heels is partially Japanese, so guess she counts as well?..

I have some japanese lineage, but then again I did not spend much of my upbringing in Japan. So this mysterious cultural bubble that the OP believes in, I've never really been in it. Especially not for long enough to be able to notice anything out of the ordinary.

I can tell you, though, that Japan is not that small world of its own that, evidently, a lot of people make it out to be. Japan's always been interested in what's going on in the world, and video games have been huge in Japan since the dawn of video games, basically.

6 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

For computers, most Japanese people use Windows which is also from Microsoft

It's because most stuff that is made to run on a computer is made to run on windows in the first place.

6 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

If the Japanese were really that loyal to their own country by buying products for their own country only, they would have picked a Japanese Linux distro instead of Windows localized in Japanese. Maybe there's something that I am not understanding.

See above. And yeah, it seems to me you're not understanding that some stuff, like windows, is basically a necessary evil. On the other hand it seems you think that japanese people as well as Japan's government are stupid enough to inconvenience themselves to "Spartan dimensions" just to make a point. And you most definitely shouldn't question anybody's loyalty to their own country based on what software they run on their computers, because that's at the very least silly.

47 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I have some japanese lineage, but then again I did not spend much of my upbringing in Japan. So this mysterious cultural bubble that the OP believes in, I've never really been in it. Especially not for long enough to be able to notice anything out of the ordinary.

Hmm, interesting although you said you've never been into the "bubble".

It seems Japanese players are usually automatically good at video games ;P

PC gaming, on the whole, isn't very popular in Japan. The popularity of the Famicom in the 80s made it really hard for PC gaming to gain any sort of notable foothold in the Japanese market. 

1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

Hmm, interesting although you said you've never been into the "bubble".

Well, my point was that I don't think that this "bubble" is as impenetratable as it might seem. If that makes any sense.

From what I can remember, it never seemed to be the case that something got "rejected" just because it wasn't "japanese enough". Other influences, like how consoles dominated especially the early days of video gaming, for example, played a much bigger role, another thing that got in the way to some extent later down the line was the "arcade scene", for instance. But that's a natural process that is applicable to any other category of product: If you lived in an area that produces a lot of milk, you probably wouldn't think much about importing that from somewhere else, because you don't have to.

I live in Japan, does that count? LOL Well I've never met any one that plays Doom over here but I would imagine that there are many considering the gaming industry is huge here. Doom2016 is definitely well known and promoted here, mostly because it's available on PS4. 

Dobu (the Caco-award winning mapper) sounds Japanese.....is he Japanese?

もしあなたがこれを読むことができるのであれば、あなたはおそらく日本語であるか、翻訳ソフトウェア

2 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

Dobu (the Caco-award winning mapper) sounds Japanese.....is he Japanese?

Nope,  American!

On 9/4/2018 at 12:03 AM, crazyflyingdonut said:

Is there anyone who is Japanese that likes Doom?

The answer is YES. You know, almost 25 years have passed since the DOOM was released so now it is really difficult to find people who still play DOOM here, I mean among the real friends. But what I can tell you for sure is that there were lots of DOOM players in Japan when the game was released.

By the way I have been playing DOOM for around 16 years.  I still like DOOM very much. 

Edited by Manbou

Maybe there are more of them than it seems, they just don't speak english and don't come to Doomworld.

9 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

For those that think so, they should check out Game Center CX. Shinya Arino is challenged to beat a game within a 24 hour period, and he usually needs a lot of help along the way. Very entertaining show.

I also remember an episode where he went to visit the United States and one of the first games he wanted to try at a game shop was Doom for the SNES (probably due to the red cartridge appearance) unfortunately, the game had problems starting up and he had to switch to playing something else.

38 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

For those that think so, they should check out Game Center CX. Shinya Arino is challenged to beat a game within a 24 hour period, and he usually needs a lot of help along the way. Very entertaining show.

That's a great show and I've watched it a lot. It's pretty big here in Japan. Makes me wanna go back to my old school games that are practically impossible. (Ninja Gaiden etc.)