Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phoby

Favorite Cyberdemon Encounters

Ever since I first played E2M8 when I was just a wee lad, I've had a soft spot for cyberdemon encounters of all kinds. Slaughter maps are cool and all, but one on one duels with the big guys are some of the most memorable moments in WADs for me.

My favorite has to be Tower of Babel. It's not hard and not that scary anymore, but there's so much nostalgia.

My other favorite from Ultimate Doom is Against Thee Wickedly.

Doom II: Gotcha

TNT: Nukage Processing

Plutonia: The Final Frontier

First map of Ancient Aliens is my favorite so far. Using the Cybie as a turret only to telefrag him at the end 👌.

go_barons.png.d6a924a8536bcb3d298e26078981ae5f.png

Just sit back and enjoy the scene. My money is on the barons, by the way.

NME's short appearance is fun with a preemptive BFG shot and another one when you teleport in its cubicle. Worked once, not suggesting to do that unless you don't mind inconvenient RNG. I took it out from a youtube video. Going Down map11, basically because with a bit of luck it can get stuck under a crusher, that's funny. Ancient Aliens map01 infamous one. Valiant map10 (or 11?), the one in the fleshy pit. Relyctum map08 I think, it's just hilariously placed in a secret with books and low height, for him though. Draft Excluder has a map where two cyberdemons keep teleporting and haunting the player throughout the map until the end, that's an interesting gimmick.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, most encounters are casual or like dealing with any other enemy, whether it's fun or not. Eventually a few excel in having a gimmick behind, but in general I kill one or let things kill it and move on.  

Marshes from PSX Doom with pistol start. The main theme here is "find the ammo to kill the cyberdemon, and go to the opened door".

I don't quite like cybie snipers, though I agreed in Final Frontier it's used cleverly.

Another honorable mention is MAP30:Onslaught of PSX Final Doom, where is arch-vile is replaced by cyberdemon. There is two choices - you can fight cyberdemon right when you see it, or you lure the cyberdemon away and will break into the sewer to collect more supplies.

In one of the Zort maps I had improbable luck and one-shotted a cyberdemon with the BFG in a moment of panic when it teleported in front of me. Dunno what the odds are on that, or if it's a quirk of mid-2000s ZDoom. As for my favourite mapped encounter with one? The multiplayer-only one in TNT: Evilution MAP01 made my day when I first saw it, just because of how laughably underpowered you are and how crazy tactics like suicides and distraction/berserk combos are used if you want to kill it. The ones in Downtown and Tenements are also good for how they can spawn camp the player and lead to frequent cycles of death if you're not clever (or a pair of children having a fun panic with it)

Double Impact map E1M8. 4 Cyberdemons, loads of places to hide, but also you have to flip switches and to do that you have to run through wide corridors, so the cyberdemons don't corner you.

Map 8 of Extermination Day have a nice one to one figth with a Cyberdemon in a splattered and destroyed basement of laboratory, with no much room to hide, only strafe and attack

😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻1005ZCU.png

😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻

Got pretty creeped out as a kid after reaching level 23 on PSX Doom. As usual, the Aubrey Hodges music was creepy enough(but as a kid, I really didn't care. I was out killing demons!), and after seeing the Cyberdemon, I was like, "WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD IS THAT THING???"

The huge size of the cyberdemon really freaked me out when I was like, 8 years old. I clearly remember, I just had to turn off the PlayStation just after seeing him, and going straight to bed at night (yes, I was a really wimpy kid). By far, those moments are the ones that make me laugh the most right now.