Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

Your most beautiful layout(s) in your doom mapping carreer.

I've not yet made too detailed maps but this ones from Urania. Even being a vanilla-format, this map is probably most complex and non-linear in the megawad. The main idea here is central area where the monsters are randomly teleported to another areas after 5 minutes of play. This brings even more variety.
MAP06.PNG

Another one. Here I was inspired by Ghost Town of Plutonia, but with much more complexity. Many diagonal shapes are used.
MAP21.PNG

I don't really try at all to make my layouts look good, I think this is the best one I have.

Aotb0v2.jpg

Complex = Beatiful? No, really, i love what i am seeing, those maps are insane, very complex, i would love to play them.

48 minutes ago, D88M said:

Complex = Beatiful? No, really, i love what i am seeing, those maps are insane, very complex, i would love to play them.

I remember a member on the Doom Forums, not sure if it was New Doom Forums, or if it was here, but he made this map that had a depiction of 7 swords, and was very symmetrical.  Never got to play it, but it looked real nicely done.  I had made maps 'years' ago, but you know, formatting happens, or you forget to save old works :/

Maybe I'll get back into making maps again.  It's been forever since I've done any of that though.  Actually now that I think about it, I did my own take on The Stygian Abyss, but in Doom.  I wasn't trying to copy any map or anything, more of, the low ceilings and the dark, dark hallways, that was the feel I was trying to go for, and it was a kind of series.  As in, the exit from E1M3 would be the start location in E1M4.

I make really ugly map layouts, but if a were to choose a map with a distinctive layout it has to be this one
0r5fzia.png

Also if you ignore the ugly exterior sectors on the upper right, this one is alright i guess

Spoiler

bgp04KI.png

7 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

I make really ugly map layouts, but if a were to choose a map with a distinctive layout it has to be this one
0r5fzia.png

Also if you ignore the ugly exterior sectors on the upper right, this one is alright i guess

Hide contents

bgp04KI.png

The map on the bottom, is kind of like maps I was making, and the map up top, are maps I want to make, but I quickly run out of ideas as I'm working on it lol.

Is this using just the default textures with retres.wad?  Or are there other resource wads out there?

7 minutes ago, DoomMan007 said:

The map on the bottom, is kind of like maps I was making, and the map up top, are maps I want to make, but I quickly run out of ideas as I'm working on it lol.

Is this using just the default textures with retres.wad?  Or are there other resource wads out there?

First one uses nova texture pack, second one uses gothictx along with other textures

Don't worry too much about it, my earlier maps were rather messy but this year i got to improve my skills, you'll get there and make great map layouts if you keep honing your skills :)

9 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

If you like geometric precision then have I got something for you

Hide contents

And these are older maps from before I moved to UDMF and GZDoom so all lighting was manually done with sectors

Hide contents

WARNING: SO MANY LINES

Amazing. How many hours does building something like this take?

ayyyy lmao

MAP08.PNG

tfw you have the sad realization that all your maps are fugly in the automap. I guess Shovelware Adventure can pass as a modern map if you just look at the linedefs, pay no mind to the lack of detail!!

MAP01.PNG

EDIT: How did I forget this little gem

MAP21.PNG

These two layouts of mine are equivalent to Michelangelo's David:

Btsx_e2_MAP01.png

Resurge.wad_MAP02.png