Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomMan007

Chex Quest problem

So I've got Chex Quest, it's a redo of Doom, using one PWAD, chex.wad, with all it's own enemies, sprites, textures, etc.  When I get to E1M5, the linedef is set for W1 Exit Level, that should take me to E1M6, only, it brings up the end screen saying I've completed the level, press ESC to continue, but when I go to start a new game, it doesn't give an option of which world to pick, only to choose a difficulty, and will start you back off at E1M1.  It looks like all episodes in this PWAD are all designed for Chex Quest, but as I mentioned, once you cross the W1 Exit Level linedef in M5, it's game over.

So what can I do, to edit, I'm guessing using the script editor in Doom Builder, to make the whole game work?  I did open the chex.wad file in the script editor, and the only information in that is this: 1 PWAD AC BS, and the letters AC BS are white letters, on black squares.

And there's nothing else in the script editor field other than this text.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  I've attached a picture as well if it helps at all.chexpic.png.57d8d9c94e75fd5cd34c28c1272b1524.png

The original Chex Quest only had five levels, e1m1-e1m5. You'll need to get the .wads for Chex Quest 2 and 3, which occupy e2m1-e2m5 and e3m1-e3m5 respectively. 

21 minutes ago, Jello said:

The original Chex Quest only had five levels, e1m1-e1m5. You'll need to get the .wads for Chex Quest 2 and 3, which occupy e2m1-e2m5 and e3m1-e3m5 respectively. 

Here's the thing though, I went into the chex.wad file in Doom Builder, all the levels are there.  E1M1 - E1M9 then E2M1 - E2M9, all 4 episodes are in the list and if I go to any level listed, it brings up a chex quest level.  If I wanted to play, E3M4 of Chex Quest, I could do that in Doom Builder if I use the Play Test Level option in Doom Builder.  I could play any of the maps in Doom Builder because all the Chex Quest levels are there in that one wad file.

Chex.wad will show all episodes and levels, but only the first five are from Chex Quest. The rest are the original levels with Chex Quest textures/sprites, unless you have a different chex.wad than I do. If you want all three episodes you'll have to get Chex Quest 3. Probably from here http://www.chucktropolis.com/gamers.htm

9 hours ago, DoomMan007 said:

So I've got Chex Quest, it's a redo of Doom, using one PWAD, chex.wad, with all it's own enemies, sprites, textures, etc.  When I get to E1M5, the linedef is set for W1 Exit Level, that should take me to E1M6, only, it brings up the end screen saying I've completed the level, press ESC to continue, but when I go to start a new game, it doesn't give an option of which world to pick, only to choose a difficulty, and will start you back off at E1M1.  It looks like all episodes in this PWAD are all designed for Chex Quest, but as I mentioned, once you cross the W1 Exit Level linedef in M5, it's game over.

Chex Quest was a standalone game (not a "patch wad", regardless of file header) and while they forgot to clean out the Doom levels, you're only meant to access the CQ levels. Ending the game when you finish E1M5 is the intended behavior, and only E1 is supposed to be accessible.

9 hours ago, DoomMan007 said:

So what can I do, to edit, I'm guessing using the script editor in Doom Builder, to make the whole game work?  I did open the chex.wad file in the script editor, and the only information in that is this: 1 PWAD AC BS, and the letters AC BS are white letters, on black squares.

There's no script in chex.wad, all behavior is hardcoded in the engine. What you're seeing is the file header (PWAD), and then the editor's attempt at interpreting the hexadecimal AC 08 00 00 as text. That's actually 2220 written in little endian order, but it's read as two control character and then the null-terminator telling it there's no text after it. In reality, it's the number of lumps in the WAD.

Do not try to edit that, you'll basically completely mess the file if you do. I don't even understand how and why Doom Builder lets you open that in its script editor...

8 hours ago, Jello said:

CQ2 actually replaces the E1 levels, because the Chex game only lets you play E1. They are in E2 in CQ3 and TUCQ, though.

chex3.wad is the wad you should be using to make Chex Quest wads, but you will automatically be forced into using ZDoom by doing so because chex3.wad has many ZDoom-only files. It's free to get, and ZDoom will recognize it as an IWAD like Doom, Doom II, Plutonia, TNT, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife, so you won't need to load doom.wad in tandem with it for resources.

The Ultimate Chex Quest isn't one I'm aware of, but looking at its thread in the ZDoom forums suggests it doesn't have the third episode that Chex 3 does.

That said, since you'll need ZDoom to run Chex 3, you'll also have the many modding possibilities it brings to the table at your disposal. This means you don't have to make the game in an episodic structure, or you can have eight episodes if you want, or you can use bizarre map files (MAP01 -> BLAH -> COOLMAP -> ETC) as long as you provide a mapinfo in your pwad to point to these maps.

You'll be able to use the custom monsters that Chex has and include all of the weapons (I believe Chex includes an SSG analogue) and powerups.

I fully advocate this type of modding. Chex Quest has received no attention by mappers and modders that I'm aware of, so I'm excited to see what you do with it.

15 hours ago, Jello said:

Chex.wad will show all episodes and levels, but only the first five are from Chex Quest. The rest are the original levels with Chex Quest textures/sprites, unless you have a different chex.wad than I do. If you want all three episodes you'll have to get Chex Quest 3. Probably from here http://www.chucktropolis.com/gamers.htm.

Well I figured it out.  So if I'm in DOSBOX, and running Chex Quest, E1M1 thru E1M5 are the only levels I can play.  However, if I go in through ZDoom, THEN I can choose what episode I want and I am able to play those other Chex Quest episodes that exist in the Chex Quest, chex.wad file.

And, NOWWWW, I see what was meant by "original Doom levels."  I was under the impression that ALL the levels, were brand new levels for Chex Quest, but whoever redesigned it messed up somewhere along the way and only ended the game at E1M5.  Now I get it.  So yea then I guess my next reach is for Chex Quest 3, or even just make up new Chex Quest levels.

Either way, thanks all for the help and the information on this, it's greatly appreciated.

Something is wrong with that Chex Quest 3.  If you run the exe file, it runs, but pressing enter on New game doesn't bring up a visible option.  You hear the Doom sounds when buttons on the keyboard are being pressed.  So I opened up the chex3.wad file, all the maps are messed up.  It's like someone took and just messed up all the maps.  It's unplayable.

Edited by DoomMan007

Okay so I'm in need of some help here.  The only time I've run another wad file, was when I would load the file in Doom Builder, go to Test Map, I have Zdoom set up as the testing application, and then it loads me right into the map into Zdoom and from there I could go to the main menu in Zdoom and play any episode I wanted.

I don't know how I would run chex3.wad by running Zdoom.  Would I use a .bat file to set up to run Zdoom with something like Zdoom -E:\Dos Games\chex3\chex3.wad?  I need to know how to type in this information.

Secondly, I did load the chex3.wad into Doom Builder, went into Test Map and it wouldn't run.  This is what my screen looks like after getting the error and the other picture is of E1M1 of chex quest 3.  This map looks messed up to me, and I'm using Zdoom as the testing application, soooo yea, it should have worked, but I got an error instead.

error.png

messed up map.png

To run chex3.wad with ZDoom, place it in the same folder and click on zdoom.exe. It will give you a window and Chex Quest 3 (chex3.wad) should be listed. Click on that and allow ZDoom to launch.

If that doesn't work, try the reliable drag and drop.

Also, you're loading the map in Doom format. You should open it in ZDoom (Doom-in-Hexen) format.

I'm also noticing that you're using ZDoom 2.7.1. The latest official version of ZDoom is 2.8.1, which I would recommend using to test this map, in tandem with ZDoom32 and GZDoom if your computer can handle the load.

Redownload chex3 and do not modify it in any editor. This kind of tangled spiderweb map is what you get if you take a Doom-format map and add a BEHAVIOR lump, or take a Hexen-format map and remove the BEHAVIOR lump. CQ3 should work out of the box, don't touch it.

12 hours ago, Gez said:

Redownload chex3 and do not modify it in any editor. This kind of tangled spiderweb map is what you get if you take a Doom-format map and add a BEHAVIOR lump, or take a Hexen-format map and remove the BEHAVIOR lump. CQ3 should work out of the box, don't touch it.

Yep I know what you are saying.  I downloaded the zip file, extracted it, ran the exe file that comes with the zip file, which it looks like it loads into a Zdoom format.  I hit enter on New game, you hear the doom sound effect, but the screen that should have options after you press New game, never comes up.  You can hear doom sound effects if you press the up and down arrow keys to navigate through a menu, but you don't see it or anything else.

I then loaded chex3.wad into Doom Builder, didn't touch anything, other than, File > Load > chex3.wad > selected a Doom format, and opened E1M1.  I never touched lines, never touched vertices, never touched things or sectors.

15 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

To run chex3.wad with ZDoom, place it in the same folder and click on zdoom.exe. It will give you a window and Chex Quest 3 (chex3.wad) should be listed. Click on that and allow ZDoom to launch.

If that doesn't work, try the reliable drag and drop.

Also, you're loading the map in Doom format. You should open it in ZDoom (Doom-in-Hexen) format.

I'm also noticing that you're using ZDoom 2.7.1. The latest official version of ZDoom is 2.8.1, which I would recommend using to test this map, in tandem with ZDoom32 and GZDoom if your computer can handle the load.

Okay I'll give that a try.  Putting the wad file in the same directory.  And if that doesn't work I'll try the drag and drop method.

Yes, once I put the chex3.wad file in the Zdoom directory, it then brought up a menu box, with 2 options, The Ultimate Doom and Chex Quest 3.  I have wads I've previously made in Doom Builder, in the Zdoom directory, and they don't come up in the list.  Is that because the wads that do come up in the list, have been provided in a list that is coded into Zdoom?

Anyway Chex Quest 3 now works.  The only thing I didn't like, was the lack of ammo, but if you're resourceful enough you can save your ammo and not run out.  Thanks again for all the help on this!!

Edited by DoomMan007

12 hours ago, Gez said:

The list is for selecting games, not for selecting mods.

Gotcha.  Thanks again.

Not sure if I post this here, I wanted to avoid a double post, anyway, I'm working on making a new Chex map.  I am using the Chex3.wad as a resource.  Well, I want to start outside, I'm using the same ceiling texture as used in chex quest 3, and yet, in my game, it's just a ceiling, in chex quest 3, it looks like you are outside.  Doom 2 has the same problem.  I first started making the map in a plain Doom format, then went to the Doom (hexen in zdoom) format, and the ceiling, still looks like a ceiling.  Whats the work-around to make it so that the ceiling looks like you are outside?

Edited by DoomMan007