Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R4L

Metroid Dreadnought Overhaul - 1.5c Beta! (4/29/19)

This is really for anyone making mapsets, but Varia Suit is in, and Charge Beam has to be obtained now. Going to add the option to bypass that of course.

Wow. 

This makes me feel better about walking away from an ill-fated Metroid project I tried to start over a decade ago. This would have blown it out of the water and then some, even as I envisioned it. 

19 hours ago, Job said:

Wow. 

This makes me feel better about walking away from an ill-fated Metroid project I tried to start over a decade ago. This would have blown it out of the water and then some, even as I envisioned it. 

You can thank Terminus for this lol. I've only done a few gameplay changes and graphical changes. The rest is him and Ijon.

im gonna give some criticism if ya dont mind.

i feel like the 3d models arent really that good, because theyre really dated and when switching to them its very abrupt, and it doesnt fit with doom's pixel art. i suggest either making new models by teaming up with some others or perhaps work on some of the other sprites.

also, the first level of the bounty hunter episode seems to be missing a lot of enemies and also progression. this does have a lot, and i mean a LOT of potential. ill give you the support you need, even if it is just me. its just nothing is perfect and i love metroid so i do want this to become better. though from what ive seen of v1.5, it does look better. keep up the good work :)

3 hours ago, Mirthy said:

im gonna give some criticism if ya dont mind.

i feel like the 3d models arent really that good, because theyre really dated and when switching to them its very abrupt, and it doesnt fit with doom's pixel art. i suggest either making new models by teaming up with some others or perhaps work on some of the other sprites.

also, the first level of the bounty hunter episode seems to be missing a lot of enemies and also progression. this does have a lot, and i mean a LOT of potential. ill give you the support you need, even if it is just me. its just nothing is perfect and i love metroid so i do want this to become better. though from what ive seen of v1.5, it does look better. keep up the good work :)

Thanks! The Bounty Hunter episode is just really an unfinished thing left over from the original mod.

As for the models, I'm using HECL to rip proper versions of the Prime models (with animations) so I'll be adding those in at some point. I'd do pixel art, but my style definitely doesn't match the Doom aesthetic.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:41 PM, R4L said:

Thanks! The Bounty Hunter episode is just really an unfinished thing left over from the original mod.

As for the models, I'm using HECL to rip proper versions of the Prime models (with animations) so I'll be adding those in at some point. I'd do pixel art, but my style definitely doesn't match the Doom aesthetic.

Perhaps you could add an option to switch back to the pixel art style of arm canon, so everyone gets to be happy.

12 hours ago, Mirthy said:

Perhaps you could add an option to switch back to the pixel art style of arm canon, so everyone gets to be happy.

There already is an option to switch off the 3D models. It's in the Dreadnought Options sub menu in the Options menu.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:00 AM, R4L said:

There already is an option to switch off the 3D models. It's in the Dreadnought Options sub menu in the Options menu.

ah right, my apologies 

Updated the first post! A new beta has been released! Check the change log for more info!

Updated the link for the beta in my first post.

-Shinespark does more damage now. It's not enough to kill a cyberdemon or a mastermind in one hit, but anything else is fair game.
-Made all beams use a modified weapon bob speed and style that matches Samus' footsteps better.
-Optimized the hyper beam much more. It uses 2 lasers instead. It also extends to the original 1024mu length (like vanilla dreadnought) but the beams graphically are only drawn for 300mu long. No lag and full functionality. Damage is buffed a bit (from 4/tic to 7/tic)

Tiny update:

-Shinespark now invokes the TOTALLY_FROZEN flag, as it should.
-Added a HUD icon for shinespark. No more HUD message!
-Made beam charging a little faster and added a HUD meter to show the charge level. Rough for now will update later when I implement half-charge shots.

As always, the link for the beta has been updated!

Updated the Beta download link in the OP. Morph ball camera should no longer screw itself up on slopes.

I thought adding half-charge shots would be a nightmare but it was relatively painless!

Still have to do the rest of the beams, and that means new sprite work, but it will get done.

Here, have an update:

Half-charge shots for all the beams! Yay!

As always, the link in the OP has been updated.

hey, great work so far. im a bit of a dumbass sometimes and i cant figure out how to use the morph ball. 

57 minutes ago, Mirthy said:

hey, great work so far. im a bit of a dumbass sometimes and i cant figure out how to use the morph ball. 

Morph Ball has it's own bind now, so you might have to re-bind a key to it. In Controls, scroll all the way down to the bottom and you'll see it.

New updated link for 1.5c beta. Fixed a bug where the BFG would spawn instead of the Chroma Storm.

Yeah yeah, another bug fix update in first post:

-Fixed missile pickups being invisible and not being able to be picked up.
-Also fixed drop rates. Missiles dropped WAY too often, and health not enough.
-Music now no longer plays from the start after acquiring pickups for the first time.
-Beam GUI now invokes PowerTimeFreeze to aid in selection during combat. There is a 3 second delay however after exiting before you can open it again to prevent abuse.

Hopefully I can get some work done on a new beam next time... Until then, see you next mission!

Ugh, I can't believe I forgot this...

CrazyWazy made a new item jingle, so I put it in the latest release. New upload will be up later that really, seriously, positively... fixes too many missiles spawning. Thanks to Jekyll Grim Payne, it also improves compatibility with maps by spawning ammo pickups placed in maps if you have at least one missile tank. Before, these ammo pickups would be erased.

New update in first post. Included changes:

-Increased HUD resolution, redrew all the HUD graphics for all HUDs!

-IDKFA actually gives you everything.

-Fixed missiles spawning every time an enemy died, and now maps that have ammo in them will spawn missiles in their place after a missile tank has been acquired.

-Bombs can now open shootable doors.

-New item pickup sound thanks to CrazyWazy!

Bumping for updates (warning loud music!!): https://streamable.com/z49ih

Looked at the current beam sprites and thought they could use some lighting and shadowing applied during the firing and charging frames, so I did just that. Hand painted each frame for the 6 main beams! They also have ready animations while not firing. Nothing fancy, just wanted to give the beams a refresher really.

As always, link is updated in the first post.

Just now, Immorpher said:

I loved the isolation and horror in the metroid series so I am definitely adding this to my list of wads to play!

Unfortunately, there are no maps yet... but there IS something in the works I promise.

6 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I am good at waiting patiently :)

You can try a demo of the mapset here. It's being re-worked at the moment, but this is a demo after all...