Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kitsunet

Hell Park - My First Level

Hell Park is my first attempt at using Doom Builder. It is a single level wad for Vanilla Doom II, but was tested in GZDoom. My inspiration for this level comes from games like Rise of the Triad (from which I stole a couple midi tracks), where there is less focus of ammo management and more on non stop action. Because of this, my level is a pretty clear shot from beginning to end, with easy to follow level design. Although the enemy count may seem like it would be too challenging, the wad will take you all the way from pistol to plasma rifle, with each major area adding another weapon to your arsenal.

All in all, I would classify this as an easy wad. If you can play at least the first few levels of doom on medium difficulty, you should have no problem with this wad.

As stated, this the first level I have completed, so I tried to focus on making varied and interesting level design, but would love to hear what I did wrong, and how I could improve my maps in the future. 

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the map, and please let me know what I should do better next time!

Screenshot_Doom_20180904_103721.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180904_103801.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180904_103943.png

Hell_Park_Public.zip

Edited by Kitsunet : Various fixes and improvements to the map. Thanks to Memfis for the suggestions!

16 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

You forgot to post the link.

I'll check it out as soon as I can, once we get that situated.

Yeah, silly me forgot the important part, lol. I've uploaded the wad via zip.

Welp, I tried playing it in prboom-plus but eventually got a crash because PNG textures are not allowed there. Some issues I noticed before that happened:

https://i.imgur.com/6qyyCUK.png - normally you're expected to put the "lower unpegged" flag on DOORTRAK (it's like a convention)

https://i.imgur.com/TQINvWl.png - so this pedestal had a shotgun on it, but I already had one so it seemed kinda weird

https://i.imgur.com/mIvCiPB.png - not nice! "lower unpegged" might help again

https://i.imgur.com/IO6w3KB.png - very odd floor transition in my opinion

https://i.imgur.com/4LNPjWW.png - bad demon placement, they can't even climb down the stairs and bite you

https://i.imgur.com/m9YHazX.png - I didn't want to pick up this ammo box yet so I had to carefully dance around it, which was a little annoying. try to place items in a less intrusive way

Anyway, I liked what I managed to see before the crash. Pleasant design with contrasting colors, fun music, decent action. But please test vanilla levels in classic ports. GZDoom "forgives" a lot of things.

1 minute ago, Memfis said:

Welp, I tried playing it in prboom-plus but eventually got a crash because PNG textures are not allowed there. Some issues I noticed before that happened:

There is only one custom texture, but it doesn't actually appear in the level, so I can go ahead and remove that. I'll reupload in a couple minutes

Yikes. This map has quite a lot of issues. For one, I didn't find a Super Shotgun anywhere which would've been quite handy dealing with revenants. With that being said, once yo deal with Revenants, you have the plasma rifle... and a LOT of plasma ammo. I only ran out of plasma ONCE. Balance-wise the map is all over the place. some rooms spam health, others lack it. And I think only 1 green armour is in the entirety of this map (possibly another in the spider mastermind's room?). Once you found a new weapon, the previous ones might as well be ignored since you get a TON of ammo for the other weapons, especially rockets, cells and ammo boxes. Shells were missing for the most part.

Quite a few walls either were fully mis-alligned or missed their lower/upper un-peg tags.

Personally, try and make a few more maps and hone your mapping skills. This time, taking in to consideration balancing. A few design choices do look good here but are overshadowed due to how many flaws there are. A competent attempt and one that can be completed.

4/10.

11 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Once you found a new weapon, the previous ones might as well be ignored since you get a TON of ammo for the other weapons

A very good point, and that was sorta the idea of the design, although probably not a good one.

Quite a few walls either were fully mis-alligned or missed their lower/upper un-peg tags.

I'm finding a few of those, and have been told about others. I'm trying to fix the ones I find and reupload the map. For instance, the pedestal in the screenshot no longer has alignment issues, and the dark room with pinkys has been fixed as well. I have also put unpeg tags on various doors and secrets that previously lacked them. Thanks for bringing it up though!

Personally, try and make a few more maps and hone your mapping skills. This time, taking in to consideration balancing.

I've actually started a new map since getting this one together. Regardless, I intend to polish this map more, since I was initially tied to a contest deadline, and missed some glaring issues at the time. Thanks for taking time to play my map though! I really look forward to making more maps and posting them.

Short and fun. It started off pretty challenging, though everything got easier after I picked up the plasma rifle. A little too easy. Ammo balance got far too generous right after the first key, though health pickups were adequate.

Not bad for a first map. I find most maps that people enjoy keep a player thinking on their feet. An easy map can get boring, but that's just me.

Keep mapping!

Eh, pretty good for a first map, though i think it's a bit too hard at a few points, but it's probably just me.

Since this "review" is so shitty, i'm gonna give you a story for this map too:

One day, Doomguy wanted to buy a icecream for Daisy, so he goes to the nearest stand that's in the park. After learning that they ran out of vanilla ice cream, he goes on a rampage.

Unsurprisingly, the story is terrible too.

(Btw, i'd like to know the name of the texture pack or whatever where you got that unused texture from)

Edited by elarmadillo3

18 hours ago, elarmadillo3 said:

(Btw, i'd like to know the name of the texture pack or whatever where you got that unused texture from)

I actually made it myself. Very poorly, mind you, but myself.

So because I got such good feedback on this level, I've started working on a sort of "Hell Park 2", which I hope will be an improvement over the first. So far, progress has been very quick, and I've been able to polish areas of the level without spending hours trying to align textures, which is nice. If anyone is interested, there's a few screenshots of what I have so far, and Hell Park will now actually have Hell in it! Anyway, if progress continues at this rate, the map should be done by the end of next week, although that is just an estimate. Also, if there is something stupid about the level that I haven't realized yet, let me know.

Screenshot_Doom_20180906_100118.png.e3888c4cd21510b017d98f2082cd1148.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180906_100151.png.bf34561d4022be99f4fa28fbb6e063b0.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180906_101128.png

Edited by Kitsunet : Fixed a missing texture