Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Novaseer

Iconography - The Obligatory Icon of Sin Community Project

Recommended Posts

I'm in.

 

I'm glad this CP showed up, seeing as how much griping there was about the IoS. I'm intrigued to see what the community can come up with (as I said in that previous thread, too).

 

Since I don't know UDMF, the map will be in BOOM. I don't know if that affects where you would want to slot the map.

 

Three more questions.

Do you have any requirements (or desires) about length?

Do you want people to call what map slot they want?

Do you want people to announce their theme or will you just review the submissions to make sure there aren't too many of the same theme?

Share this post


Link to post

I might start something in a few days. No promises on finishing a map, but I'll try to make something.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I'm in.

 

I'm glad this CP showed up, seeing as how much griping there was about the IoS. I'm intrigued to see what the community can come up with (as I said in that previous thread, too).

 

Since I don't know UDMF, the map will be in BOOM. I don't know if that affects where you would want to slot the map.

 

Three more questions.

Do you have any requirements (or desires) about length?

Do you want people to call what map slot they want?

Do you want people to announce their theme or will you just review the submissions to make sure there aren't too many of the same theme?

To answer your questions:

 

- Mapping for Boom shouldn't be an issue - GZDoom, which is what I'm trying to target, should run the level fine.

- Not really, just try not to make it five years in length, and try not to make it so that you spawn with a BFG right next to an exposed Romero head.

- I'm completely fine with people calling map slots, although for MAP07 and MAP32 please PM me first.

- I'm fine with people announcing their themes ahead of actually making the maps, as it should prevent repeats. I'm fine with a couple of theme repeats though.

Share this post


Link to post

Can’t participate at the moment, but I support this project! It’s certainly a creative challenge, given the usual opinions about ol’ ZZZFACE in the Doom community. Hopefully it doesn’t turn out like... a certain other UDMF project that challenged mappers to make something fun out of a seemingly annoying combat scenario.

 

FWIW, I would encourage people to be careful about overusing Zdoomisms. I think it’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that advanced features and the broad creative freedom they offer make it easier for mappers to overcome the underlying design challenge of a project like this. But the wonders of GZDoom can just as easily make the player experience worse/more annoying than would have been possible in Boom, vanilla, etc. Take it from someone’s who’s been there! That said, I think that UDMF format makes a lot of sense for the project, especially for being able to have a weaker boss shooter for a first “episode.” Anyway, good luck to all!

Share this post


Link to post

I've got an idea for this i always wanted to make happen, which works well if its UDMF. I'd take map15. 

I'm in. Also are tracks restricted to MIDI's? understandable for same quality of music but just wondering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, DerFurer'sFace said:

I've got an idea for this i always wanted to make happen, which works well if its UDMF. I'd take map15. 

I'm in. Also are tracks restricted to MIDI's? understandable for same quality of music but just wondering.

 

MIDIs would be ideal, yes.

And if you're mapping for MAP15, please remember a secret exit.

Share this post


Link to post

Idea: map where you are Icon of Sin. You have to choose where to spawn your monsters in order to overwhelm the marines.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Memfis said:

Idea: map where you are Icon of Sin. You have to choose where to spawn your monsters in order to overwhelm the marines.

That'd be fun... but pretty hard to make.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Every level should be completable from a pistol start. Due to this, every level will need a rocket launcher

 

Also I don't see how this follows. There's no reason an icon needs a Romero head inside that can only be rocketed.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Linguica said:

 

Also I don't see how this follows. There's no reason an icon needs a Romero head inside that can only be rocketed.

Fair enough. I'll edit that.

Share this post


Link to post

I remember some russian guy did the "unique" IoS map where was the giant...hm...robot? I mean, Titan Robot which spawns monsters, lol.

 

I like such fun community projects, but I have no ideas for IoS maps. So I won't take any slot at now :|

Share this post


Link to post

A final boss megawad project? Nice idea! Good luck with the project, maybe I can do a map but not in this month (I already working on XUMP project...)

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

A final boss megawad project? Nice idea! Good luck with the project, maybe I can do a map but not in this month (I already working on XUMP project...)

Thanks, mate. It's fine if you can't contribute right now, there's no rush as of yet.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks cool! I'll take map 3.

I'm not really sure where the map is going in terms of theme, but it'll come to me.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, time to get this party started!

 

This is a very short, and simple map called Vilified.

 

The theme is tech/base, and though I’m not entirely sure where it should line up in the map set, I reckon it belongs somewhere within the first 8 maps at best. (I just have it set up as map01 for now).

 

Weapons available in the map are the Shotgun, SSG, and Chaingun. The spawnshot has been reduced to ShotgunGuys, ChaingunGuys, Imps, Pinkys, and (rarely) Revenants.

 

The song is Stomping Grounds from Crunchynut44’s MIDI pack.

 

IWAD: Doom 2

 

Made in UDMF, intended for gzdoom (tested in v3-5-1)

 

Jumping, crouching, & mouselook are not necessary - but they won't ruin the map either.

 

If you have any troubles, or find any bugs, or just hate the thing, let me know! Have fun!

 

Downloadhttp://www.mediafire.com/file/dxw66g5swix1r49/Vilified.wad/file

 

Vilified.png.2739887bbaffed9ca29644b2f8a58e7a.png

 

 

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Well, time to get this party started!

 

This is a very short, and simple map called Vilified.

 

The theme is tech/base, and though I’m not entirely sure where it should line up in the map set, I reckon it belongs somewhere within the first 8 maps at best. (I just have it set up as map01 for now).

 

Weapons available in the map are the Shotgun, SSG, and Chaingun. The spawnshot has been reduced to ShotgunGuys, ChaingunGuys, Imps, Pinkys, and (rarely) Revenants.

 

The song is Stomping Grounds from Crunchynut44’s MIDI pack.

 

IWAD: Doom 2

 

Made in UDMF, intended for gzdoom (tested in v3-5-1)

 

Jumping, crouching, & mouselook are not necessary - but they won't ruin the map either.

 

If you have any troubles, or find any bugs, or just hate the thing, let me know! Have fun!

 

Downloadhttp://www.mediafire.com/file/dxw66g5swix1r49/Vilified.wad/file

 

Vilified.png.2739887bbaffed9ca29644b2f8a58e7a.png

 

 

I played through it, and it's pretty good! Gets pretty hectic once the Vile is let loose and runs around reviving all of the chaingunners. I've made a few edits to it concerning difficulty levels (I've added more health and ammo for people playing on HMP or below, as well as took out some of the shotgunners and made the invis sphere an invuln on ITYTD or HNTR), and I think I'm going to put it in the MAP08 slot. Thanks for contributing!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Suitepee said:

 

Don't tempt me.

 

Come on. Do it. You know you want to.

Share this post


Link to post

I've got a question. Is it possible to use custom IoS spawner?

 

I'm thinking about map23 which based on memetic "barrels trap", and I'm thinking what about IoS which also spawns barrels (not every time, but some times)?

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

I've got a question. Is it possible to use custom IoS spawner?

 

I'm thinking about map23 which based on memetic "barrels trap", and I'm thinking what about IoS which also spawns barrels (not every time, but some times)?

Yes, using DECORATE allows you to create new cube spitters that can spawn different types of monsters. If need be, I can create the code for you, since I know how to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

Is it possible to make monsters spawned by IOS not count in the monster counter in gzdoom?

Not entirely sure. The only way I could think of is to edit the DECORATE so that every monster spawned by the IoS is a separate type that doesn't count under the kill percentage - but that would be quite a chore to do.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Not entirely sure. The only way I could think of is to edit the DECORATE so that every monster spawned by the IoS is a separate type that doesn't count under the kill percentage - but that would be quite a chore to do.

 

This looks like a relatively quick task with decorate. 

 

Quote

 

Actor IoS_Archvile Archvile

{

-COUNTKILL

}

 

 

... for each monster that is spawned by the IoS, and then have the IoS spawn those monsters. 

Share this post


Link to post

I want a spot in MAP02 if possible, or any of the 6 "easy spawner" map spots. I have an idea for a short map. 

 

edit: Hm but this level will be pointless if player has a rocket launcher (which I assume he will get in your MAP01) and freelook. So, if we could force pistol start before this map, it would be nice.

Edited by Darch

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Darch said:

I want a spot in MAP02 if possible, or any of the 6 "easy spawner" map spots. I have an idea for a short and easy map. 

Sure thing! I'll add you to the list now.

EDIT: I just saw your edit. It'll be fine, I can put an edit into MAPINFO that forces an inventory reset.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×