Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TakenStew22

"It's too cartoony"

This is the most common complaint I've seen on the trailer, and I don't get it. The demons almost look completely identical to their original counterparts, and I love it. People were also saying that the demons in 2016 looked cartoony aswell.

What do you guys think?

The Demons from Doom from the original Id Tech1 games always looked cartoony maybe the Barons and Hell Knights were a partial exception. Doom 2016 also had cartoony monsters, the Imp and Mancubus look even goofier than their old counterparts, Doom Eternal also has cartoony designs such as the Hell Knights with eyes, Pain Elementals and their wiggling muscular arms wich moves in an even goofier manner than the original Pain Elemental, the demons were always cartoony in design as it's an integral part of the franchise, only the Hell Guards as Pepsiman said looked way too cartoony and out of place in comparison to everything else so i don't see what those people are complaining about.

I'd even say Eternal looks less cartoonish than its predecessor. Eg the Baron of Hell looks much more realistic, the red Lego brick version seems gone.

7 hours ago, Solmyr said:

The Demons from Doom from the original Id Tech1 games always looked cartoony maybe the Barons and Hell Knights were a partial exception. Doom 2016 also had cartoony monsters, the Imp and Mancubus look even goofier than their old counterparts, Doom Eternal also has cartoony designs such as the Hell Knights with eyes, Pain Elementals and their wiggling muscular arms wich moves in an even goofier manner than the original Pain Elemental, the demons were always cartoony in design as it's an integral part of the franchise, only the Hell Guards as Pepsiman said looked way too cartoony and out of place in comparison to everything else so i don't see what those people are complaining about.

This would probably be what the people who complained about the game looking cartoony meant.

Personally, I think it looks fantastic and I don't find anything we've seen so far "cartoony", or at least not in the sense used by other people. Realism has no place in Doom anyway.

11 hours ago, Pepsiman said:

Can't be any worse than the Hell Guards, anyway. They just looked super out place compared to everything else.

I'd say, cyberdemon looked almost as poor as the Guards too.

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

The Humans look like Disney Movie characters, But otherwise everything else looks fine.

I agree on this. It really felt wrong.

At least what we got was better then the original concept for DOOM4, That was trying to be Call of duty levels gritty.

In the unused concept art for Doom '16, the original cybdermon looked like the stuff of nightmares, while the final version had cartoon proportions (massive jaw, thick arms and legs). Both are hyper detailed and demonic, but the former was scary while the latter was badass. Kind of like the difference between "Alien" and "Aliens." So it kind of depends on what you're looking for, aesthetically. I tend to crave the more sinister look more, and Doom Eternal straddles the line enough that we're looking to get a healthy dose of both.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

The new cyberdemon looked like a goofy golum with moose antlers.

heh, true. it really does look like it has moose antlers, see!

M7oOc2l.jpg

10 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Arachnotrons

>> If you are one of the people who think that the D4 Pinky does not look out of place in the D4 environments then I don't think anything I said makes any sense to you. Also you're weird.

Even if 99% of people disagree they're your opinions and you shouldn't change them because others find them stupid.

Anyway, I think the Arachnotron looks the least cartoony out of all monsters you mentioned. I can definitely see why people say the new Mancubus and the Pinky look "cartoony", but really I think they mix well with the style and tone of the game and therefore, don't look out of place. I'm bizzare, I know.

On 9/7/2018 at 7:04 AM, Dragonfly said:

The only thing that really felt cartoony was some of the glory kills. Bonking in the skull of a revenant, the "OHH NOOOO" type reaction the pain elemental have to having it's eye ripped out, etc. That said, these things are fun, something that AAA games seemingly forgot about for around a decade. If you're looking for something that is completely boring more realistic, go play something else. :)

23 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Doom was never realistic to begin with, And it's just a video game.

All this. Doom was never realistic and always looked "cartoony".

I disagree, I believe it only looked cartoony due to technical limitations back then, I think that's why id Software was leaning towards a more realistic look with Doom 3, Realistic does not necessarily mean boring, you can have the best of both worlds, but eh... since apparently most people are fine with that I guess they'll just roll with it.

40 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I disagree, I believe it only looked cartoony due to technical limitations back then, I think that's why id Software was leaning towards a more realistic look with Doom 3, Realistic does not necessarily mean boring, you can have the best of both worlds, but eh... since apparently most people are fine with that I guess they'll just roll with it.

Even though I do like the art direction they're going with on Doom Eternal I have to agree with you.  I believe some of the core members from the old ID even said so in interviews.  All things considered I think that Doom Eternal looks less "cartoony" than Doom 2016, especially the zombies.

Doom has always been stuck somewhere between "cartoony"—exaggerated proportions and fantastical designs—and "realistic"—high levels of detail and dramatic use of lighting. These two styles of art direction clash a bit with modern hardware capabilities. I would say for the most part it works fine, keeping in the spirit of the series. Where it doesn't work is when something that could potentially be abjectly horrific or nightmarish is steered too much in the direction of cool/badass.

I would like them to hit the sweet spot. Not silent hill but also not duke nukem.

It's all shaders in the Hell on Earth segments. The Phobos segment doesn't look any more cartoony than Doom '16 did.

After releasing first pictures of Doom 2016 many people complained the Cacos are not colorful enough. If I remember correctly id even made them a little more colorful. Now people ask for a more dark look. Btw I also prefer the latter.

Doom 2016 looked very cartoony in the gameplay videos and pre release screenshots. Eg I really couldn't stand the look of the Baron and Pinky. But while playing their cartoonyness was hardly noticable for me.

14 hours ago, pigherp64 said:

heh, true. it really does look like it has moose antlers, see!

M7oOc2l.jpg

I wonder how good a tincture a cyberdemon antler powder extract would make. Secret weapon behind the stamina of Doomslayer!

Only problem I have with the aesthetic of the game is that I just don't like the big gray classic medikits.  They look a little out of place.  Everything else looks fine, though.