Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astro

Return To Hell. (My first old school megawad)

Ladies, and Gentlemen. Welcome to my first megawad EVER. This wad has maps that look something you would see in the 90's. Some maps are better than others and some maps have the Sandy Petersen's level design. This was tested in only Zandronum, it shouldn't have problems with other engines. Some maps look very similar to the original ones from Doom II. Wad doesn't have custom images, sprites and sounds.. It only has custom music on some maps (map14, map30, map31, map32 I probably missed some.)

I Don't have anything else to say, I want this wad to be popular because I worked hard on it. I Would love to hear your favorite maps from this wad! No Jumping, crouching. Freelook is allowed. This wad was meant to be played on Software Rendering but OpenGL is good too. Here are some screenshots: (Maps shown MAP29 & MAP27)

899376405_bandicam2018-09-0921-20-03-497.jpg.8c82e424044bcabeb1b6b97ce9c8285e.jpg

298652040_bandicam2018-09-0921-10-02-769.jpg.ea7a305130d5f6f055e1e8426826f064.jpg

Good Luck and have fun!!! *fixed yellow key in MAP04 and added more ammo.* http://www.mediafire.com/file/r75acyv8m6o4dyp/RETURN.wad/file

Edited by Astro

You need fix your download link. 

Also, where's main information besides screenshots? Refer to this thread and edit your first post to make information more visible

8 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

You need fix your download link. 

The link works perfectly fine. Mark text, right click, open in new tab, done.

Also, where's main information besides screenshots?

There it is:

2 hours ago, Astro said:

This was tested in only Zandronum, it shouldn't have problems with other engines. Some maps look very similar to the original ones from Doom II. Wad doesn't have custom images, sprites and sounds.. It only has custom music on some maps (map14, map30, map31, map32 I probably missed some.)

This tells me it runs in basically all the ZDoom derivative ports, and it most likely runs in PrBoom+ as well. It also tells me I need no texture packs to go along with it.

Refer to this thread and edit your first post to make information more visible

Why? It's all there in one compact paragraph.

Because everything is merged in one mess and I only understood main information at third reading. List with main information like used ports, map numbers and so on, make most of reading easier and saves time. 

I gave this a quick try from maps 02 to 04 continuously, using ZDoom. Simple design for simple combat seemed enjoyable to blast through in a couple minutes, but at least maps 03 and 04 could use some extra ammo since I was constantly bordering 0 bullets and shells, and there isn't much room for infighting. I was also given rockets and cells but no weapons for them, unless they were in secrets. The arachnotron in map 04 was stuck and I saw a few misaligned textures (part of the brown wall over the water pit in map03), also I didn't find a yellow key anywhere so I stopped playing. 

So, one question: was this wad designed for continuous? 

2 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I gave this a quick try from maps 02 to 04 continuously, using ZDoom. Simple design for simple combat seemed enjoyable to blast through in a couple minutes, but at least maps 03 and 04 could use some extra ammo since I was constantly bordering 0 bullets and shells, and there isn't much room for infighting. I was also given rockets and cells but no weapons for them, unless they were in secrets. The arachnotron in map 04 was stuck and I saw a few misaligned textures (part of the brown wall over the water pit in map03), also I didn't find a yellow key anywhere so I stopped playing. 

So, one question: was this wad designed for continuous? 

Fixed MAP04 yellow key and added more ammo :)

On 9/9/2018 at 2:21 PM, Astro said:

I want this wad to be popular because I worked hard on it.

I don't think it's a good idea to think that way. There have been a lot of projects throughout history (not all of them Doom-related) that have had years and years of work and effort put into them, just to fail miserably at the end. That said, your work will speak for itself and become popular if it deserves it.

I made it to map14 before calling it quits.  It feels too familiar, I got bored pretty easily.  The lift in the corner of map06 wouldn't register unless I ran into it, so I was running all around wondering where to go.  That annoyed the shit out of me.

I played through four levels and it does feel pretty much like Doom 2, even like the individual maps are loose tributes to their Doom 2 counterparts. There are some nice touches and ideas, and I didn't notice anything I actively hated. That said, so far it's just a little bit meh - something I wouldn't mind playing but wouldn't exactly be memorable.

I suggest you make the maps that you want to make. Polish your style, take advice, improve, etc., but at the end of the day, if you've done what you want to do and it's your best work, that's a success, and popularity should not be the measure of that success.