Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
birbseed

I Have So Many Questions

Question

1- I'm doing a doom horror game on slade and doom builder

2-wanted to know how to do the jumpscare, example: when the monster touches you, appear jumpscare and you die

3- in my game will have a character that will be the distraction, how to make her face appear on the screen?

srry for bad english im portuguese

5 answers to this question

It'd be more helpful if you said which port you're using, instead of which editor, but I'm gonna assume GZDoom.

You can get a sprite to display just in front of the player (like the archvile's flames when it attacks). Alternatively, you can display the sprite directly on the view, rather than in the world, with a HudMessage.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

It'd be more helpful if you said which port you're using, instead of which editor, but I'm gonna assume GZDoom.

You can get a sprite to display just in front of the player (like the archvile's flames when it attacks). Alternatively, you can display the sprite directly on the view, rather than in the world, with a HudMessage.

Explain to me right

i didn't totally understand the question but i think i get what you mean

now a formal definition in video gaming clearly then is the "jumpscare", along with the sandbox, the jumpscare genre is sure to take off.

this is more drama than code, so here's how i'd implement something like this:

-Have a long dark boring bit, just long enough for the player to relax and let his guard down, not so long he get's completely bored and throws your wad in the recycle bin.

-Further make the player "do" something, in Fear this would be climbing a ladder, or turning a corner, something the player is controlled but thinks he's not... this distracts him into a false sense of security

-Have all the volume LOW... this is a trick, you'll get why we do this later

-Suddenly after the player is doing something, maybe reading stuff, distracted, climbing a ladder, make an enemy appear in front on him with no teleport noise using a script

-Play an annoying dramatic sound, this is where the low volume of the previous step comes into play, the low volume may have forced the player to turn the volume up, thusly the dramatic sound volume will appear louder!

-Perhaps turn all the lights off at this point, or a flash of bright followed by dark. There is a shortcut actually for suddenly changing the wall textures

-Finally don't expect to win any cacoawards