Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Best Map in Ultimate Doom - Poll #3: Perfect Hatred or They Will Repent?

What map is better...  

35 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Romero's 6 hour speedmap, or Willits' marble journey?

• E4M2: Perfect Hatred
    • E4M5: They Will Repent

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/18 at 09:00 AM

This time, it's Romero vs Willits in E4.

Perfect Hatred is widely regarded as one of the best Doom maps ever, due to the sheer amount of content Romero was able to cram in it in only 6 hours. Not only that, but it's surprisingly cohesive and difficult. It's also a Romero map.

They Will Repent often gets overlooked because it's kinda forgettable, but it's among Willits' first efforts in Doom mapping, later becoming a staple mapper for id software. This journey through a marble-blood fortress is certainly among the more enjoyable offerings in E4 as a whole, though!

Whoops. I've mistakenly let the poll run for only one day. Great stuff indeed! I'll look into can I fix it.

EDIT: Fixed.

Honestly, there were very few quality content in any of the Doom 1/2 iwads outside of Romero's maps. They are just in a different league.

PH's problem is it really throw you into the battle. A few minutes setup would have helped this map a lot.

a truly strange matchup, e4m5 is okay but it's not even remotely close to e4m2

a more logical matchup would be e4m2 vs e4m6, unless you already did that or something

E4M2 will get the troll vote and probably take the poll because Romero. However, if you really consider it, E4M5 is a solid, if overlooked, map. It's got a dash of later-E3 while being its own thing. The original midi was good (the track for Limbo) and a good fit too. There was a lot of height and depth variation, solid layout, architecture and style overall. In terms of gameplay, there's steady pressure on the player and dynamic combat. The real dark horse of this poll and the correct choice. 

E4M5 gets mine. 

I would say E4M2 is the better one but E4M5 is a great map as well no doubt. But I had more memories with E4M5 because when I first played the the map, I would always try to avoid touching the blood and the fact that we do not need a key at all to finish the entire map.

I myself will vote for E4M5 because I don't like Perfect Hatred. I just don't. Point and laugh... but I never liked that level. The number of Barons, man!

I hated E4M2 because of too much platforming and narrowness  so I prefer by far E4M5 even it's not my favourite level in the fourth episode.

I don't really like either of them TBH (or any E4 level, for that matter), but if I have to choose one, I'll go with E4M5.