Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Isolation

Playstation DOOM Reloaded - 66 Levels for GZDoom (V1.0 Released)

Those levels really need more traps and height variation if Level 34 is any indicative of the rest. At the moment, it's basically like this: enter a room, kill all the enemies inside (you can camp out literally every fight by the door), proceed to the next room, kill all the enemies there, rinse and repeat. Linear progression can be okay if used interestingly enough, but in most cases it gets dull very quickly. Also, just using the PSX lighting + monster sounds does not a good PSX doom sequel/tribute make. ID's level design choices made for some interesting cases, including progression and monster encounters. Didn't mean to be harsh or anything, just hope this was somewhat helpful.

@Firedust nah this is just an early map. They get longer and tougher as they go along. Including a lot less linear areas and more height variation. This level was created just after the development of Fall of Triton which was my first ever megawad/big project and the best way to describe it was what you said above. So that is why they are "somewhat similar". 

Over time, I have improved a lot more and focus a lot more on unilinear and unpredictable gameplay. 

Thanks for the advice though.

As someone who never got a chance to play the Playstation version, I'm kind of interested in this, even if it's not a one-to-one conversion.

The new levels will not be as flat and monotonous as in "Triton", I hope so. Still can be the author learned mapping and not makes more clumsy locations. Some effects of the port will not be able to mask the low quality.

22 hours ago, Remul said:

Um. Is this still being worked on?

Yes, this project is still currently being worked on. We are getting closer to releasing the first part of the project.

@WORLD_3AT3R Unfortunately, I have not played your wad yet. But I definitely plan to!

Thanks for the kind words! Usually when making maps., I try to build on the atmosphere as much as possible. Taking advantage of the sounds, music & lighting from PSX Doom.

I recommend playing through the original PS1 Doom & Final Doom for inspiration. Also check out the Threshold of Pain series as those levels have awesome atmosphere.

Looks on spot, great work and take your time to work on this project, just to make sure that quantity doesn't take over quality

looks great ! but will I be able to use smooth doom ? it would be a perfect addition to gameplay!

11 hours ago, elden4 said:

looks great ! but will I be able to use smooth doom ? it would be a perfect addition to gameplay!

No, it contains DECORATE content that could mess with mods if you try to apply them.

I see some criticism on the mapping, but I find it to be dripping with nostalgia. You can definitely see the inspiration (the fact that some of it is modified architecture is a plus) from the original.

19 hours ago, 00_Zombie_00 said:

Does this project progress?

It does. Part 1 (Levels 1-30) are in the finishing stage and we are very close to releasing it. Part 2 is also about 80% complete.

Nice, I am playing PSX Doom on an emulator on my TV with a gamepad and it is really atmospheric. I feel I am going to go on a PSX Doom inspired wads binge :D

This is a real love letter for the PlayStation version of Doom and it's almost a must-have to play it with the PSSFX wad pack as well for the pure PS feel with those sound effects ;)

This is my playlist. Need to do parts 7 to 9 yet. Also, please check parts 3 and 4, since I found some nitpicks.

I've been playing through PDR and I think I found a typo in the text intermission screen after beating MAP08.... "Berserk Back" Did you mean Berserk Pack? 

Screenshot_Doom_20210714_150447.png

For those who are interested, I announce that Playstation DOOM Reloaded and now compatible for PSX DOOM CE !

You can download it here https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-ce/addons/psx-doom-ce-playstation-doom-reloaded-edition-100

for the moment there is only the episode UAC FAIL which is available on PSX DOOM CE, the other episodes will be available in the next update.

if you want more info about PSX DOOM CE Playstation DOOM Reloaded EDITION look here https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/123241-psx-doom-ce-playstation-doom-reloaded-edition/

@RHG 45 from what I've played of this and Fall of Triton, you do good work. So I feel a little bad for asking this but, I don't really care for the addition of the Grenade Launcher at all. I know some (very basic) things about using SLADE, is there any practical way I can remove it? 

Alternatively, it would help me if I could at least change the "name" of the weapon, because I do use the weapon text messages when switching weapons and it says "KDZIDGrenadelauncher". I'd be happier even if I could just change that to read "Grenade Launcher"

Edited by hybridial

Sorry I don't think you can remove the Grenade Launcher without breaking a few levels. 

I am in the process of updating PDR to V1.1. I will try and update the name to "Grenade Launcher" in that update.

5 minutes ago, RHG 45 said:

I am in the process of updating PDR to V1.1. I will try and update the name to "Grenade Launcher" in that update.

Thanks, that's really cool of you. I know it's a small thing. I'm definitely looking forward to any updates/content you have in the works. 

*edit - I did find out how to do it myself though so just in case it helps anyone else, open the file in Slade, find the Decorate file, find the actor entry for the kdizdgrenadelauncher and simply add an entry saying 

tag "Grenade Launcher"

Really simple, these things often are, I just tend to be very illiterate when it comes to programming. I'm happy enough with that, but thanks for the response @RHG 45

Edited by hybridial

I liked Fall of Triton though I didnt beat it yet. 

I see 66 levels of Doom in one campaign from decent mapper. I download. I'm a simplex man.