Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arno

CatacombGL - a Windows source port for the Catacomb Abyss

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2019 at 5:13 PM, Arno said:

I've just released version 0.2.0 !

This new release features some significant improvements, such as:

• Support for the Catacomb Armageddon! All levels and monsters are present. Requires the Catacombs Pack from GOG.com.
  • Game selection screen with the option to manually browse to a folder with game data. Suggested by @Master O.
  • Support for x64 builds. Implemented by Arsen "Honeybunch" Tufankjian.
  • Support for full screen and borderless windowed mode.
  • In game help screens. Accessible via the F1 key.
  • Customizable player turn speed. Suggested by @doomjedi.
  • Customizable player run button. By default, the run button is not bound to any key, since the original games did not support running. Suggested by doomjedi and Tricob.

Enjoy! And as always, please let me know if you encounter any bugs or have some suggestions for improvements.

Suggestion:

Multiplayer DM once after all 3 Catacombs games are supported.

6 hours ago, DoomN00b said:

I'm having a tremendous amount of problem with the keyboard configuration in this port - it would appear as if international keys are not supported - unlike in GZDoom, the engine cannot detect the approximate keys when pressed - as such, I cannot assign my regular control keys.

Is this an inherent limitation of SDL2? What can I do to alter the source code to support my additional keyboard-keys? Does your port call for some kind of UTF-table? Might that be the problem?

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention.

I think in general SDL2 supports international keys, but in the source port I'm actively blocking some keys from being assigned. Like ESC, which is needed to open the menu, and the numerical keys, which open scrolls. But I was in fact blocking way, way more keys than needed. I tried to fix this. Can you please check if the development build in the attached zip file solves your problem?

4 hours ago, Master O said:

Suggestion:

Multiplayer DM once after all 3 Catacombs games are supported.

Once the Catacomb Adventure trilogy is supported, adding Catacomb 3-D: The Descent would be the next thing on my todo list. :-)

I haven't considered multiplayer DM yet. I can imagine that you're curious about how it would look like, but I wonder if in practice it would just end up as an exercise in spamming fireballs.

CatacombGL-bin-0-2-1-x86-keyboardfix.zip

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Arno said:

I think in general SDL2 supports international keys, but in the source port I'm actively blocking some keys from being assigned. Like ESC, which is needed to open the menu, and the numerical keys, which open scrolls. But I was in fact blocking way, way more keys than needed. I tried to fix this. Can you please check if the development build in the attached zip file solves your problem?

Eyy! That worked! Thank a lot dude. ^^

It doesn't display the keys, but it does respond to them, and that's good enough for me! :D

Btw... If I may be so bold, I think you should consider merging your source-code with ECWolf, and thereby adding powerful modding tools to your build! = )

7 hours ago, DoomN00b said:

Eyy! That worked! Thank a lot dude. ^^

It doesn't display the keys, but it does respond to them, and that's good enough for me! :D

Btw... If I may be so bold, I think you should consider merging your source-code with ECWolf, and thereby adding powerful modding tools to your build! = )

You're welcome! I very much appreciate your feedback; it definitly helps me, as well as other players.

The names of the keys are obtained from SDL2. I suspect that some keys are not displayed, because the source port uses the limited font from the game itself. That font only contains bitmaps of the standard ASCII printable characters. Characters like "æ" or "ß" are not part of the font and therefore cannot be displayed. It's not impossible to solve; I could draw the missing characters myself. :-)

The current source code stores the monster and item behavior in structures that resemble a DECORATE format. So I did some preparations with future mod support in mind. But it still has a long way to go. My main focus now is to get all four games supported.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Arno said:

Once the Catacomb Adventure trilogy is supported, adding Catacomb 3-D: The Descent would be the next thing on my todo list. :-)

I haven't considered multiplayer DM yet. I can imagine that you're curious about how it would look like, but I wonder if in practice it would just end up as an exercise in spamming fireballs.

If CatacombsGL supports modding, that doesn't prevent people from potentially adding new weapons to make DM less repetitive.  Who knows?

On 5/18/2019 at 1:59 PM, Arno said:

Besides, there are no in-game player sprites, I can make some though, however I don't know if the engine (an earlier version of the Wolf3d engine) supports multi-directional sprites, I say this  because enemies and projectiles in Catacomb 3D, Abyss, Armageddon, Apocalypse, and HoverTank 3-D only have front-facing sprites.

which makes me believe it was either an engine limitation or a memory limitation.

I mentioned engine limitations because it was most likely a feature not yet implemented into the engine, since it was still under development when Catacomb 3D was released. 

I mentioned memory limitations because Softdisk, who distributed all of these games, were very stubborn about memory size, mainly because they only sold games on smaller scale (memory-wise) floppy disks, I don't know if it was 3.5 floppies or some other kind, (I'm only 19, I didn't really grow up with floppy disks, so I can get really confused with the various types of floppy disks) but that is why for example Keen Dreams didn't have music, even though there were some planned, these planned music tracks would however be used in later Keen games. (it's also why I believe Catacomb 3-D only has one music track throughout the entire game.)

But yeah, If you want me to create in-game Player sprites for multiplayer, I can do that, all you have to do is ask, I'll make sure it stays within the EGA color palette for that more "authentic" feel. :)

21 hours ago, AJOgames said:

Besides, there are no in-game player sprites, I can make some though, however I don't know if the engine (an earlier version of the Wolf3d engine) supports multi-directional sprites, I say this  because enemies and projectiles in Catacomb 3D, Abyss, Armageddon, Apocalypse, and HoverTank 3-D only have front-facing sprites.

which makes me believe it was either an engine limitation or a memory limitation.

I mentioned engine limitations because it was most likely a feature not yet implemented into the engine, since it was still under development when Catacomb 3D was released. 

I mentioned memory limitations because Softdisk, who distributed all of these games, were very stubborn about memory size, mainly because they only sold games on smaller scale (memory-wise) floppy disks, I don't know if it was 3.5 floppies or some other kind, (I'm only 19, I didn't really grow up with floppy disks, so I can get really confused with the various types of floppy disks) but that is why for example Keen Dreams didn't have music, even though there were some planned, these planned music tracks would however be used in later Keen games. (it's also why I believe Catacomb 3-D only has one music track throughout the entire game.)

But yeah, If you want me to create in-game Player sprites for multiplayer, I can do that, all you have to do is ask, I'll make sure it stays within the EGA color palette for that more "authentic" feel. :)

The Catacomb 3D engine is indeed limited to front-facing sprites, as there is no support for multi-directional sprites. With a bit of a hack the developers made the little bunny in Armageddon hop in two directions, but that's as far as it goes. But I suspect that aside from the engine limitation, the development time was also a major limitation. Softdisk had a release schedule of one game every two months. Creating eight-directional monster sprites would be very challening with such tight deadlines.

It's not impossible to add support for multi-directional sprites in CatacombGL. But at this moment I don't want to give a hard promise on such a feature, because it currently looks like I'll be busy with just the must-have features for at least another year. I haven't really decided yet which direction to take when I get there. We'll see. :)

Have you considered creating a Catacomb-inspired 16 color player sprite for Doom multiplayer?

I had a similar/opposite problem when I was making my monsters for my Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen Zdoom mod where because battles in the original Sierra point & click adventure game Quest for Glory 4 were fought side on (like street fighter/mortal kombat) and most monsters didn't engage in any attack until in that side battle mode, I had no frontal attack frames for nearly all the monsters. So I had to sit there manually drawing the front sprite frames of these monsters using their side and back and non battle shots as a reference, and then make more frames so that they animated. It literally took me months.. never again lol!!!

So yeah someone could design nice side and back sprite frames for all the Catacomb monsters using the frontal ones as a reference but it'll be a lot of work haha. You do get faster and better at it the more you knock down though.