Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ruisu

GZDoom to Zandronum

Hi, lately I changed from GZDoom to Zandronum, for performance issues, I was wondering if there is any way to pass the GZDoom saves to Zandronum

If my English is bad, that's why I used google translator, because I'm Brazilian.

Ruisu, you say you switched ports because of "performance issues". Would you be willing to say what your system specifications are?

Why don't you try ZDoom32? It's based on a more recent ZDoom version than Zandronum and has many later bugfixes. I've just released 2.8.5a (GL 1.9.3). You should get good performance on old hardware.

On the savegames GZDoom uses a new savegame format since long ago (and ZDoom32 too).

You could be able to port your savegames to ZDoom32 renaming them to png, editing the header changing the game name to ZDOOM32 and probably something else and then renaming back to zds. I did it in the past maybe with slade but i'm not sure. I cannot guarantee it will work tough.

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases/download/2.8.5a/ZDoom32_2.8.5a.zip

Zandronum uses old binary saves, GZDoom uses a newer JSON save format, which just basically means the formats are not compatible with one another. Zandronum also "runs better" than GZDoom becauses it uses an older version of GZDoom's OpenGL renderer (I believe from the 1.X.X branch?). Zandronum is not up to date however so if you want to have some latest GZDoom features, there's ZDoom Legacy and ZDoom32 that @drfrag just linked.

And also I don't think you would need to rename the save files to png (why?), just move them over to the ZDoom32 directory (and hope they're compatible).

Zandronum is based on GZDoom 1.8.6. ZDoom LE is based on ZDoom 2.8.1 with a patched GZDoom 1.8.4 renderer, it's for even older hardware and uses the old VM. ZDoom32 is based on ZDoom 2.9pre.

You need to edit the savegames since they are for a different engine, but if you're playing with mods it won't work (i think) becouse DECORATE runs thru ZScript in GZDoom.