Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zolgia108

(help with) Map ideas - colour based challenges

Hey guys, Zolgia here trying to build a new map for Djinn, i wanted to build a map with a central room and 6 teleporters, each one represented by a colour:

1 - green: whispers of the forest, crawling snakes

2 - red: fire, blood, pulsating heart

3 - blue: spring, water, glass, mind

4 - gray: fog, slumber

5 - black: ink, charcoal, darkness

6 - white: snow, infinite, void

I need your help and your imagination: a challenge/ situation based on each colour that i mentioned for a doom map, it can be a boss, a puzzle room, anything at all. If this seems weird just feel free to insult me, a lot. I have my own ideas here but i'd like it to be a shared map, and to see where your creativity can go!

That's not a bad idea at all. The premise has a lot of potential. However, it also looks very ambitious. I wish you good luck.

I'd marry visual elements present in the scene to gameplay concepts. 

Green: Platforming on cylindrical rods while harassed by fliers. Skirmishes with viles and revs, thin pillars for cover.

Red: Slaughter with an emphasis on direct invasion of your space. Blood or lava functions as area denial. (If it's made mandatory to visit this part early enough, it can be tyson instead, which is also fitting.) 

Blue: No combat. Just a timing puzzle to raise a (very transient) bridge that allows you to cross a body of water.

Gray: Pacifism and obfuscation. A setup where you shouldn't make noise and should avoid waking up strong monsters until you have accomplished a certain objective -- you can use triggers to move parts of the environment to block lines of sight.  

Black: Battles with low numbers of powerful or oppressively placed monsters in very low brightness. 

White: Slaughter with an emphasis on projectiles from a distance. Ice with friction that can send you careening into pits serves as a soft form of area denial.

37 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

I'd marry visual elements present in the scene to gameplay concepts. 

Green: Platforming on cylindrical rods while harassed by fliers. Skirmishes with viles and revs, thin pillars for cover.

Red: Slaughter with an emphasis on direct invasion of your space. Blood or lava functions as area denial. (If it's made mandatory to visit this part early enough, it can be tyson instead, which is also fitting.) 

Blue: No combat. Just a timing puzzle to raise a (very transient) bridge that allows you to cross a body of water.

Gray: Pacifism and obfuscation. A setup where you shouldn't make noise and should avoid waking up strong monsters until you have accomplished a certain objective -- you can use triggers to move parts of the environment to block lines of sight.  

Black: Battles with low numbers of powerful or oppressively placed monsters in very low brightness. 

White: Slaughter with an emphasis on projectiles from a distance. Ice with friction that can send you careening into pits serves as a soft form of area denial.

i'll mark these ones, i like them a lot! i'll wait for other thoughts to start decidid what to do. Thanks a lot! i am already imagining, i am not that good of a mapper but i will put all that i have into this :)

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

You could have the cylindrical rods in a large nukage pit or pits. Whether or not these pits were escapable would be a separate question. The thin pillars could be marble.

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Personally, I don't think slaughter would be necessary for this. Slippery ice combined with projectiles would be enough, I think. You would have to take into account the friction (or lack thereof) when dodging, and over-compensating could send you careening, not just into a pit, but into the mancubus fireball that would ordinarily not cause you any trouble.

You could also add a blursphere, which, coupled with the ice, could make for an interesting (if, perhaps, somewhat gimmicky) fight. Again, I don't think "slaughter" would be necessary.

Blue: Make your walkways, stairs, bridges, etc. self-referencing sectors (or tag 242 in Boom) so that everything is "glass" above water. You could even have clear stairs leading out of the water. You'd need to indicate that they were there in some way, obviously (candles, torches, monsters, etc.). Also, have a lot of "windows" allowing you to see into different parts of that section that you would only progress to after defeating something/solving some puzzle in the first area.

Red: Use the red brick, red rock, etc. textures for a pulsating look. Cacodemons, Pain Elementals, Lost Souls, Barons of Hell, Imps, and Archviles would form the basis of the assault here (all either reddish or having a fiery attack, so any custom monsters that I'm not aware of could be included, too).

Black: A realm of shadows with spectral monsters (not exclusively, but definitely included). Include a central path that is partially lit--just enough for you to tell where you should go. Off in the shadows, monster closets would open or monsters would teleport into the darkness. Perhaps have the map begin in a well-lit area that opens up into a large hall (or some type of innocuous-looking room) that you have to cross. In fact, the goal could be visible on the other side of the room. As you set foot into the room, you trigger the lights to go out (except maybe small areas around flickering torches or candles). Don't immediately release the enemies, but let the player progress into the darkness before doing so, slowly.

17 hours ago, Pegleg said:

self-referencing sectors

In vanilla, this would be fine, but self-referencing sectors are buggy and can cause all manner of issues with monster behavior. I believe that Zolgia is using UDMF, so a translucent 3D floor might be best for the blue section.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I believe that Zolgia is using UDMF, so a translucent 3D floor might be best for the blue section.

I agree whole-heartedly with that sentiment.