Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
furyweb

Sprites 16 rotations

Oh my, that looks amazing. I would totally prefer those added rotations. But who on earth in hell would do such a mammoth task? That is quite some content, that has to be created for a mod like this. But it looks really amazing and makes the sprites feel more "real" in the 3D world. God, I love it.

Damn you for teasing us with this. T_T

Looks smooth and cool, but 16 frames even though are better than 8 (specially if you are using sprites based on an existing 3D models) is a ton of work to do.

The video reminds me of a Doom 2 mod that uses Doom 3 model ripped sprites by a zdoom forum user, named Doomero. It may or may not have used 16 sprite rotations.

It definitely looks better, but as others have pointed out, updating the original sprites to 16 angles is literally doubling the number of frames. It's an absolutely humungous task, and there just aren't that many sprite artists about who could do it well unfortunately. But it's still nice to see what the feature looks like in action!

managed to find a a download for all the models fully animated and ready for cinema 4d. All I do is add cameras and lighting and then proceed to render out each direction one by one and edit in photoshop and then slade. :D

4Nu8aQC.jpg

Well, keep it up and you‘ll finish this thing eventually. I‘d definitely download this and have a look. Great mod for Doom3 inspired levels.

GZDoom automatically detects when extra rotation frames are included in the wad and automatically uses them alongside the basic 8 rotation frames with the same sprite name. High resolution sprites can be defined in GZDoom either in TEXTURES, or in DECORATE (along with the monster/thing that uses them), or even by putting the sprite lumps/files into hi-res namespace if they're only supposed to replace stock sprites.

Edited by scifista42

I posted pretty much this exact same topic with the title "Super smooth rotation?" in late august but I didn't actually have anything to show.
I wondered if smooth rotation/animation like this was possible and now I can see it is, I'd like to try making my own monster at some point. 
I'd love to see more people working on creating 16 angle monsters, one to one faithful recreations of the original DOOM monsters would be amazing.
I know for sure that some of us would be down for supporting work like this financially.

Blender has a really cool "pixel art shader" that makes 3D renders look like 2D sprites, I feel it could be used to great effect recreating that classic DOOM look.

W99w9At.gif

Never heard of namespaces before. How would that work for the Imp, for example? I create a PNG inside a folder callled hires/imp?

It would just be hires/troo####.png. I'm not sure that using the hires folder would pick up any additional rotations though as it's only meant for replacing what's already in the Iwad. It's worth a try though...

This is the first time that I've ever seen 16 angled sprites for Doom. I knew for a while that at least ZDoom and it's derivatives had support for 16 angles, but I did not know of any mods that actually used this feature. Trying to do this is not an easy task already, but imagine making 16-angled sprites that were SMOOTH. Smooth as in, "Smooth Doom" smooth. I don't even know how long THAT would take.

Tried to make it more doom like and not as detailed.  So just curious on what everyone thinks. This or the one above with all the detail?.

h2Jp4oJ.gif

I like this one a bit more, I guess? It's hard to say, can you put them into the engine, next to each other?

this is actually why im taking so much time with my sprites, im crafting them from scratch, and smoothness is 200% a must for me(even @ 8 frames).

admittedly, a more experienced spriter probably could do it faster tho.

I have wanted to do this for some time now. The pinky looks great. I prefer the sharper grittier look though. ot many share that taste with me. Looking awesome man!