Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
furyweb

Sprites 16 rotations

On 9/13/2018 at 5:42 PM, elend said:

Oh my, that looks amazing. I would totally prefer those added rotations. But who on earth in hell would do such a mammoth task? That is quite some content, that has to be created for a mod like this. But it looks really amazing and makes the sprites feel more "real" in the 3D world. God, I love it.

Damn you for teasing us with this. T_T

Edit: I'm dumb, disregard this

Edited by Marn

3 minutes ago, Space Marinara said:

Wasn't that just the asymmetrically mirrored angles- I'm not sure the engine could handle more than eight back then?

Turns out you're correct, my bad.

Hi (sorry if my english is not perfect i'm french )
I have a question, is it possible to go up to 32 rotations by using mirror ? check below https://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_sprite_graphics

15 minutes ago, al3d said:

Hi (sorry if my english is not perfect i'm french )
I have a question, is it possible to go up to 32 rotations by using mirror ? check below https://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_sprite_graphics

That Wiki page is awkwardly worded. When it says "32 angles", it is really 8 angles each for 4 frames (8*4=32). Each frame has only 8 angles.

You're not forced into using all 82 angles, you can just add top and/or bottom as you like. And at any point you could just use a model instead, people have their preferences :P

I'd still prefer sprites with 82 rotations over a 3D model. Show me an Imp 3D Model that can compare to the sprite version. Man, I'd love to see an example of that 82 rotations with Adrian Carmack's sprites.

Space Marinara do you know how I can get more rotations just in left/right angles ? ( not top/down) 
it's could be awesome to have at least 64 rotations better than use a md3 model because my sprite can have displace mapping, specular, shadow etc

I can only theorize, but you could try syncing the positions of multiple dummy actors with SetOrigin and offset their angles with one or more of these properties. Then swap their visibility around depending on their angle to the player so that you only ever see the "closest" one. I haven't actually played with those options before though so I'm hoping they can do what you need...

The problem with ultra smooth sprite animations is that they look unnatural. Sprites with a normal number of frames work because it looks sort of like a cartoon, but once the movement becomes ultra smooth it looks too real for a cartoon but still too fake to look realistic.

Thanks for the answer Space Marinara but it's too complex for me I'm a noob in programming ^^

I tested with a realistic md3 3d model and the problem is when the monster chase the player, he rotate too fast, the way the enemy moves/rotate in doom is something I can't change, I guess ?

7 hours ago, al3d said:

Thanks for the answer Space Marinara but it's too complex for me I'm a noob in programming ^^

I tested with a realistic md3 3d model and the problem is when the monster chase the player, he rotate too fast, the way the enemy moves/rotate in doom is something I can't change, I guess ?

Maybe give me a reminder in a couple of weeks when I'm not swamped and I'll give it a try.

It's weird that the model snaps around like that because in videos I've seen they usually turn way too slow. Unless they are attacking and then they can do 180s in an instant \_:/_/

22 hours ago, furyweb said:

Is that a model?. If so I presume if you have the animations setup for walking it probably wouldnt look as sharp

yes it's a model I need to add the walking animation

16 hours ago, Space Marinara said:

Maybe give me a reminder in a couple of weeks when I'm not swamped and I'll give it a try.

it's could be awesome :)

My vote: Doom Pinky Colour. It simply looks more fleshy, more gross. Wonderful!

In my opinion, the original is too pale and the other one is too pink. If you could add just a slight hint of pink to the original, it would look better. If these two are the only choices, the original is better.

1 hour ago, Space Marinara said:

I like the pink one layered on top with the hue blend mode

pinky.png

Agreed!

And to support what Elend said way back. We'll rendered sprites (with 16 rotations) look better than actively rendered 3D models in the engine, so this is good work!

So this is a Doom pallet version of it. Now its not complete fully but its basically drawn over from the render, used greyscale image from render then drew over it suppose like they did originally with doom. Personally I think it looks pretty cool and might continue down this path, thing is, its alot of work for 16 angle so i might be I just stick with 8. We will see...

Bb8UgRq.png