Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capt_SpadeX

Completed a small map.

Next time, be sure to read this thread before posting a map.

Now, I played it in GZDoom 2.4.0 and I have a few things to note about it.

First, you used a resource wad that you didn't specify we needed, so I had the glorious checkerboard in nearly every room I went.

There is a notable lack of health, save one berserk pack, which is fine up until the end with the Demolisher demon and the cyberdemon, because the Demolisher is a hitscan monster.

All the rooms consist of squares with doors leading to the next room, with teleporters being the only other mode of transport through the map.

Your DECORATE code is apparently a mess, because GZDoom spit a ton of "duplicate actors" errors on startup and gave me an error telling me that DoomEdNum 15003 has been used twice.

I suggest also telling us what port you designed your wad for in tandem with what you tested with, and telling us what version of GZDoom you tested with is even better.

What I think: simple, but not fun, with layout that needs work and code that needs cleaning.

As rdwpa pointed out, minimalist postings are not bad. Assuming that the map is Map 01, the only things that Capt_SpadeX is actually missing is saying which iwad it's for (Doom 2, Plutonia, etc.) and the resource pack. Pretty big omissions, true, but still ...

Also, when I read "jumping, etc. is OK and I tested it in GZDoom" I assume that it was made for the ZDoom family, not that it was Boom or vanilla or limit-removing and he just says it's OK for you to jump. But I guess, he could also add the compatibility (for the sake of completeness).

I'm sorry guys, as I've stated, this is my first attempt at making and posting a map.  I used the "hell on earth starter pack" wad (from Brutal DOOM 2.0) and all the basic Doom Iwads.  It is Map 01.  Thanks Aquila for posting the link to that post.  

On 9/14/2018 at 7:09 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Next time, be sure to read this thread before posting a map.

Now, I played it in GZDoom 2.4.0 and I have a few things to note about it.

First, you used a resource wad that you didn't specify we needed, so I had the glorious checkerboard in nearly every room I went.

There is a notable lack of health, save one berserk pack, which is fine up until the end with the Demolisher demon and the cyberdemon, because the Demolisher is a hitscan monster.

All the rooms consist of squares with doors leading to the next room, with teleporters being the only other mode of transport through the map.

Your DECORATE code is apparently a mess, because GZDoom spit a ton of "duplicate actors" errors on startup and gave me an error telling me that DoomEdNum 15003 has been used twice.

I suggest also telling us what port you designed your wad for in tandem with what you tested with, and telling us what version of GZDoom you tested with is even better.

What I think: simple, but not fun, with layout that needs work and code that needs cleaning.

I appreciate the criticism and as i'm relatively new to editing would appreciate any help that you could offer in regards to layout and code cleaning.    I suppose less square rooms would be better but, I try to go for a realistic look and most rooms irl are squarish.  As far as the lack of health, yeah, I thought about that and I think I will remedy the situation.  The only time I stop learning is when I stop breathing.  Thanks. :)