Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Thoughts on Blood

9 hours ago, MaxTrevors said:

I love the Blood series. I really wish someone would make Blood 3. I would lose my mind.

With Atari finally allowing Nightdive to do a remaster, you never know what the future holds.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:05 AM, crazyflyingdonut said:

Should I get rid of my BloodGDX and play NBlood?

I suggest to wait for a few versions before moving from GDX to NBlood. I just tried it and there is some performance hiccups here and there. Also on the Duke4 thread, people have reported some bugs (minor bugs that is) and inaccuracies.

I don't like the dark and gory theme, but i would be lying if i said it isn't a cool game. Awesome weapons, good level design, great enemies, okay soundtrack, and amazing use of the Build engine's features.

The extremely loud cultist screams do get tiring after a couple times.

50 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

I don't like the dark and gory theme, but i would be lying if i said it isn't a cool game. Awesome weapons, good level design, great enemies, okay soundtrack, and amazing use of the Build engine's features.

No accounting for taste eh?  My all-time favourite enemy sounds!  The distorted bellow the zombie makes as its head pops off is the one that I hate.

Great atmosphere, great weapons, great level design and arguably the coolest 90s FPS character but teribly balanced enemies. Doom is perfect because hitscanners take only one shotgun blast to kill. In comparison, they take forever to kill in Blood. This is a common problem in all Build games and I think it is one of the main reasons they are not as popular as Doom. It doesn't sound like a huge change at first but imagine if a Former Sergeant took two shells instead of one to kill or more than two bullets. 

11 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

Leave this thread and don't come back until you can appreciate the cultist screams.

No but really, the screams and the bodies flying away from explosions makes for the most satisfying explosions. It never gets old IMO

49 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

No but really, the screams and the bodies flying away from explosions makes for the most satisfying explosions. It never gets old IMO

Maybe in explosions they are really cool, but not when you just shoot one and they go "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUGHH". It's even more annoying when tommy gunning a crowd of them and every single one screams the same "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUGHH"

10 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Great atmosphere, great weapons, great level design and arguably the coolest 90s FPS character but teribly balanced enemies. Doom is perfect because hitscanners take only one shotgun blast to kill. In comparison, they take forever to kill in Blood. This is a common problem in all Build games and I think it is one of the main reasons they are not as popular as Doom. It doesn't sound like a huge change at first but imagine if a Former Sergeant took two shells instead of one to kill or more than two bullets. 

In Well Done, the cultists can be killed with a single shotgun alt-fire. Were you playing in DOS/Dosbox with any of the first 3 difficulty levels? There's a stupid bug in Blood where once you load a save game, the skill level inverts for any skill level except 3.  This is made even worse considering that Blood scales monster health and damage by difficulty.

Back in the day I'd always wondered why some people seemed to have such a different experience and hated the game, but I didn't know about the bug until last year. No wonder. You choose the easiest skill level and get the values from one designed for co-op. Ouch!

1 hour ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Best FPS game ever made alongside Doom and Quake 1.

and Unreal and Half Life...

Ya know, i've never played Blood mainly due to it not having a sourceport (also me not ever knowing about it when i was younger). I really don't like setting up DOSBox (it's a pain for me to play Star Wars: Dark Forces but i really do like that game). I could just use some sort of front end i guess but ehh.

I do know about BloodGDX though. I just haven't gotten around to actually buying Blood yet (i think it's only like $5.00 though). The supposed remaster is coming out soon so maybe i'll just wait for that although owning the original would be nice as i'm not sure if it will still be available for sale when the remaster comes out.

There is also the newly released NBlood source port:

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/10456-release-nblood-blood-port-based-on-eduke32/

Though I have this to say.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:20 PM, ReaperAA said:

I suggest to wait for a few versions before moving from GDX to NBlood. I just tried it and there is some performance hiccups here and there. Also on the Duke4 thread, people have reported some bugs (minor bugs that is) and inaccuracies.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:12 AM, holaareola said:

In Well Done, the cultists can be killed with a single shotgun alt-fire. Were you playing in DOS/Dosbox with any of the first 3 difficulty levels? There's a stupid bug in Blood where once you load a save game, the skill level inverts for any skill level except 3.  This is made even worse considering that Blood scales monster health and damage by difficulty.

Back in the day I'd always wondered why some people seemed to have such a different experience and hated the game, but I didn't know about the bug until last year. No wonder. You choose the easiest skill level and get the values from one designed for co-op. Ouch!

OMG. Holy shit. How did I not notice this?

Like everything else I played when I was twelve, I used to play Blood on the lowest difficulty setting. I struggled with it so much. But I loved it enough that I powered through to the end (of the shareware episode, at least). "Surviving" Blood was what made me decide to try other games - including Blood - on harder difficulty settings.

I thought I was just getting much better at the game when future play-throughs got easier.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:12 PM, -TDRR- said:

Maybe in explosions they are really cool, but not when you just shoot one and they go "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUGHH". It's even more annoying when tommy gunning a crowd of them and every single one screams the same "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUGHH"

But the "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUGHH" is the pay off you... you SWINE.

It's like sweet a lullaby to my ears at this point. 😩👌

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:12 AM, -TDRR- said:

You haven't played The Hidden below, that has an extremely loud and long death sound at 3.50...

Highly underrated game imo.