Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

“Doom: The Fake Outrage”

NOTE: This is NOT meant to be a political thread of any kind. The mods are more than welcome to take this thread down in the event things get too charged here.

With all of that being said, let’s get to the nitty-gritty. 

Quite simply, the video above (and by extension this post) is meant to illustrate that the whole “controversy” over the “mortally challenged” jokes was actually next to nonexistent, and the “controversy” that did get forged was mainly created by some, shall we say, less than savory characters desperate for views and appeal from impressionable audiences. 

It turned out that there was actually very little to no concern raised over the jokes in question, and the tweets that did raise concern about them basically consisted of “ok that joke was kind of lame, but I’m still stoked to play this game!” (Plus, they would receive next to no attention in terms of likes or retweets.) 

Unfortunately, that somehow managed to be more than enough for those “characters” to create this narrative on how “DeUm Iz ReDpIlLeD aZ FuK,” often either repeating the exact same article that seemed to be occurring throughout the offending videos or just putting words in people’s mouths that just don’t exist.

What’s actually kind of sad is that these kinds of bad-faith arguments have pretty much infected every single comment section that has ANYTHING to do with Doom Eternal, stretching from IGN to Youtube. It’s kind of heartbreaking to see that edgelords are now claiming that Doom now validates them. 

All of that being said, while I do agree with most of his points, I do feel like Shaun does read a little bit too much into the themes surrounding nuDoom (like how Doom 2016 is apparently all about anti-capitalism and pro-environmentalism; I personally didn’t interpret it that way, I saw it as more for what it was trying to be, as a badass romp through Hell), as well as how Fallout is now missing the point of what the overall franchise is supposed to stand for (the first few games is more or less an allegory for the devastation of nuclear war and how Fallout 76 reduces it to a social simulator that lightens it up). But I suppose I could just be chalking it all up to his particularly dry brand of humor, which manages to be dripping with loads of sarcasm. 

But all in all, I found this video overall to be very well-researched and surprisingly educational (I didn’t know “mortally challenged” was a Discworld joke, and I remember Terry Pratchett being a big fan of Doom!).

Plus, discussion about this particular video in the Doom community has been relatively civil for the most part, which was why it was kind of relevant to post this here. 

TL;DR- There really wasn’t any controversy over the “mortally challenged” joke, and those who tried to proclaim otherwise were essentially creating shit-tier clickbait. 

That line was the kind of thing that could have upset some people, and that was enough to make a story out of it.  Even though it didn't actually upset anyone, the idea that it might have is enough to get clicks (some people love SJW-bating stories). 

The idea of a possible truth was so appealing some people just presumed it must be true. They basically thought "I bet that line offended some people! Let's talk about how it offended some people!". They didn't actually wait to find out if it did offend anyone before going on about how it actually had.

2 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Terry Pratchett was a Doom fan?

Oh yes.

“Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...”

― Terry Pratchett

I thought it was a good gag and was surprised it was shown in the demo really. 

Its kinda surreal to think people make money or whatever, moaning about people that are moaning about something else (or not in this case).

99% of the internet seems click bait these days. 

I have been trying to steer clear of this particular discussion but I will point the irony of how outraged certain subsets of the population get over the perceived outrage of others.

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

(like how Doom 2016 is apparently all about anti-capitalism and pro-environmentalism; I personally didn’t interpret it that way, I saw it as more for what it was trying to be, as a badass romp through Hell)

This. Hidden agendas in Doom? Then they must be VERY well buried. It reminds me of the 70s when people were playing records backwards to look for hidden messages. Time to find a real issue to complain about.

Edit* FYI I haven't watched the video but I know the backstory of the supposed outrage

I watched the video aswell and it showed me just how much people want to start drama when there is no need to.

I was one of the people that blindly jumped on the "mortally challenged" meme train because I thought it was cool and funny. But not alot of the so-called "SJWs" complained about the joke, and this is coming from someone who hates both sides. People need to just stop bringing politics into everything and play some damn games.

There is also someone who made a response to this video but I didn't even bother watching it all. The comment section on it was cancer though, lots of people circle-jerking each other and attacking Shaun.

I actually decided to preform some "investigative journalism" (time wasting) and go and look for the people who were apparently offended by this on Twitter (the actual shithole this always comes from)... That ended well.

What I found suggests that there indeed was people that were offended, more importantly it also suggested that there was like 10 of them and they're the people you don't listen to anyway because they have nothing valuable to say and 95% of all discussion on this is people complaining about like 10 people complaining, excellent.

Examples:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/418045-doom-eternal-mortally-challenged-joke-offensively-boring (in which somebody looks too far into the "deep" political and psychological effects of said joke and even begins to question their own over-analysis, marvellous).

Screenshot_2018-09-17-02-07-07_kindlephoto-193600358.png.18ad84665111fdfc6a6010a359c60707.png

You get a small amount of stupid shit like this dispersed inbetween people complaining about the fucking cryptids I was looking for and the horde of memes, great job sticking to your cause and all but I'm not sure your 1 person boycott will absolutely slaughter sales.

Shit was hard to find you know, although there was a few posts by some people who all straight up admitted to being unmedicated schizophrenics on their profiles who had a whole named and documented community running around in their heads, not going to take them seriously and definitely ain't going anywhere near that. 

Bottom line is that this was blown out of proportion and like 8000 people dogpiled like 10 people, lame controversy 0/10 I wasted my time.

It's nonsense. You ignore this shit and it goes away. Quite literally it dies a quick death in Google / YouTube algorithms into low view count obscurity. But time and time again people get rustled by professional rustlers and fall for it everytime. 

They will double / triple / Quadra down on their feigned stupidity to profit off you. They're mining butt hurt coins, and you're the butthurt mine. 

Kinda sad. I personally thought the joke was funny and good character stuff for the UAC. Along with the other quotes it implies that the UAC intentionally let the demons flood Earth, which is probably what the developers were intending when they put it in the gameplay reveal.

Can it be interpreted as being "anti-SJW" or "anti-immigration" out of context? Probably. We'll have to see how it is when the game comes out. If it turns out that Hugo Martin and the team were actually trying to play up that angle for the 4 chan type edgelords who seriously took the joke as validation...like, I'll be kinda sad? I wouldnt really try for a refund unless the game is also like super shit, which it doesnt look it will be.

I'm pretty sure the devs didn't mean it as a joke about over political-correctness, and if they did then people who are being overly politically correct are the ones who fell for it. To me it felt the point of the joke was less like a stab at mentally challenged people and more like the UAC attempting a PC-oriented campaign at incorporating demons into society contrasted against a literal hellish environment caused by said demons. (If you want to get politics involved that's more comparable to the normalization of Neo-fascists over the past decade to me than anything)

Weren't you the dude that was spamming this vid on chans for no reason
For video, all i can say is some noname ranter rants about noname ranters that rant about noname ranters, cancer that feeds on itself, no sane man, except for revenue, will contribute to this cycle. There is nothing interesting or informative about it, not even politics, waste of time. 
And as for you, get a job.

1 hour ago, Poohlyash said:

Weren't you the dude that was spamming this vid on chans for no reason
For video, all i can say is some noname ranter rants about noname ranters that rant about noname ranters, cancer that feeds on itself, no sane man, except for revenue, will contribute to this cycle. There is nothing interesting or informative about it, not even politics, waste of time. 
And as for you, get a job.

uh, no I wasn’t

3 hours ago, Death Egg said:

To me it felt the point of the joke was less like a stab at mentally challenged people and more like the UAC attempting a PC-oriented campaign at incorporating demons into society contrasted against a literal hellish environment caused by said demons. 

I’m pretty sure that is part of the UAC’s plan to “normalize the demons,” especially since we have another joke at the very beginning of the demo that pretty much says “there may be a slight change in the environment.”

17 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

What I found suggests that there indeed was people that were offended, more importantly it also suggested that there was like 10 of them and they're the people you don't listen to anyway because they have nothing valuable to say and 95% of all discussion on this is people complaining about like 10 people complaining, excellent.

Yeah, and while the amount of people actually complaining about the joke was exceedingly small, those who were actually up in arms about boycotting DE were most likely in the single digits and were just straight-up on the lunatic fringe anyway. 

Besides, the joke itself is pretty much the UAC equivalent of that one Pepsi commercial where Kylie Jenner somehow manages to defuse a potential “riot” by offering Pepsi to the police officers. 

I recently saw another r/Doom political thread (that just got pulled) where someone said that there was somehow a Kotaku article on this “controversy.”

I checked, and the only articles that were seemingly filed under Doom were the E3 teaser and an article talking about the Invasion mode (with some other details). THAT’S IT. 

Yea then why do you even bring something like this vid up when it's made to rank up views from the redpilled "Haha stupid rightists" crowd, and you, apparently. Hell, half of the vid hes been describing the game, while doing the "Uuuuuh..." between every word, tell me if that doesn't scream "AD REVENUE".
Besides, noone really reacted to that "Controversy" either, the only one who did and has a atleast somehow big subscriber base on Youtube was NoBullshit, and if you don't see anything wrong in here, then you probably should try and get  acquainted with something you are criticising here.

TL;DR: You are basically doing the same thing you are criticising those people for.

I think that most people are aware enough of how latter-day corporations incorporate PC-sounding rhetoric into their promotional material (propaganda) as part of an attempt to market themselves to the "woke" generation. Even while those same corporations despoil the environment and murder labour organisers, because they're trying to sell a product rather than actually be sincere about the socially-conscious image they're presenting.

I certainly interpreted the "mortally challenged" and "melting pot" jokes in that general vein. It's not the most original satire, but it worked enough to get a laugh out of me.

In fact, I only really became aware of the other interpretation when, after watching the reveal video, I started getting those shitty videos popping up in my YouTube feed, crowing about how "redpilled" Doom Eternal supposedly is. Give me a fucking break, it's a game in which you literally rip and tear actual fucking demons apart with your bare hands. In SPAAAAACE. Anyone expecting any kind of intentional philosophical or political observations from the creators of such a thing, is on a hiding to nothing.

Edited by NoXion

10 hours ago, Poohlyash said:

Yea then why do you even bring something like this vid up when it's made to rank up views from the redpilled "Haha stupid rightists" crowd, and you, apparently. Hell, half of the vid hes been describing the game, while doing the "Uuuuuh..." between every word, tell me if that doesn't scream "AD REVENUE".
Besides, noone really reacted to that "Controversy" either, the only one who did and has a atleast somehow big subscriber base on Youtube was NoBullshit, and if you don't see anything wrong in here, then you probably should try and get  acquainted with something you are criticising here.

TL;DR: You are basically doing the same thing you are criticising those people for.

someone's just trying to do damage control tbh, i mean shaun's content is absolute shite pretty much every culture commentator passing off talking about star wars as a serious political commentary is fucking shite, buttt really youre calling the kettle black because you're upset someone showed how stupid the redpilled "haha stupid leftists" crowd is, which is like loserish and shows you've got a stick up your butt lol.

10 minutes ago, CreamCheese said:

someone's just trying to do damage control tbh... youre calling the kettle black because you're upset someone showed how stupid the redpilled "haha stupid leftists" crowd is, which is like loserish and shows you've got a stick up your butt lol.

Mayhaps i got one, not for the reason you've stated. I'm tired of this video being posted everywhere, and being discussed with a straight face. Shaun does nothing but rants on minority for ranting on minority, i find it rather stupid. It isn't damage control if there is no damage.

Just now, Poohlyash said:

Mayhaps i got one, not for the reason you've stated. I'm tired of this video being posted everywhere, and being discussed with a straight face. Shaun does nothing but rants on minority for ranting minority, i find it rather stupid. It isn't damage control if there is no damage.

i kind of regret that it was posted here like, i had to avoid it in every single forum on eternal and then it comes to doomworld, if i was a mod i'd delete this post but sersly, you've just discovered that people who conflate serious political discussion with rant vids on youtube by unqualified people are dumb, thats like, finding out that water is wet. I don't watch any of these youtube political rant types, i honestly kinda despise that its become so big, but you're seriously just trying to deflect here dude. Just admit that the clickbait conservative ranters on youtube were had, admit that they looked stupid, and move on bro.

1 hour ago, Xcalibur said:

on second thought, maybe I won't comment on this topic.

Wheres the fun in that?

35 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Don't provoke him. This is already a craphole.

Any discussion that has to do with politics will always become a craphole.

22 hours ago, Poohlyash said:

Hell, half of the vid hes been describing the game, while doing the "Uuuuuh..." between every word, tell me if that doesn't scream "AD REVENUE".

I checked the video in a different browser with no ad-blockers while logged out of YouTube, and I'm not seeing any adverts. At the end of the video he does list his Patreon donors, which would seem to be how he actually gets money for doing this. So no, it doesn't scream "ad revenue" to me at all. That's just the way the dude talks. If you don't like it, or if you don't agree with the substance of what Shaun's saying, that's fine, but at least be fair.

I also think he's spending time describing the game, because he isn't assuming that all of his audience is already familiar with Doom.

I had no doubt that mortally challenged line would spark controversy. I also had no doubt it had no political significance whatsoever, that ID didn't put it to offend someone and some people will do anything to get offended and last but not least, some exploitation from the "woke / redpilled" people would happen. 

Some people can't just enjoy games and need to dig for some political meanings or find a way to bash products because they have some kind of distorted ideal. I find both part involved in the controversy equally obnoxious. The offended at all costs, who will be offended and boycott a game that they weren't interested in or planning to buy in the first place, and their oppositors who literally take a comment from a irrelevant person and mount it to a national case, performing the same kind of exploitation to make people think the game support the same political agenda. The reality probably, is as someone already pointed out, the joke was just a homage to Terry Preachett and it was done without any political meaning. 

The controversy that sparked just confirm how stupid, daft, ignorant and exploitative the parts involved are.

Nobody should lend a nickle of their feelings to politics, it's literally meant to suck the life out of us like an army of bloodsucking insects. After all politics is a cleverly disguised word  for it (poly ticks). :D

7 hours ago, Kaos said:

I had no doubt that mortally challenged line would spark controversy. I also had no doubt it had no political significance whatsoever, that ID didn't put it to offend someone and some people will do anything to get offended

Agreed, it was only a matter of time before someone would put gas on fire and take it out of context to substitute it with, I dunno, mentally challenged or something, that's the closest thing that comes to my mind.

At this point I just can't understand why certain people absolutely need to bring politics to everything and see something offensive where's nothing. I suppose they have nothing better to do with their lives and twisted ideals... but to be clear, both sides are equally obnoxious, although for different reasons.