Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nootrac4571

Demonastery - RELEASED! (Now on idgames)

this looks incredible! absolutely beautiful. have you considered using a custom sky for the map?

The second screenshot with the corpses stacked on top and stuffed into the crumbling masonry looks radical. Awesome screenshots!

As a fellow fan of Brigandine, I appreciate this. Love me some gothic woodmaps with lots of detail, and I liked most parts of your map because of the same reasons I liked Brigandine.

Some gameplay-related thoughts:

1) I could not find the BFG without enabling mouselook. I don't know if this is intended, and if it is, I'd prefer if it was possible without it, or that you specifically specify mlook as a requirement for playing this map. I may also be stupid and not using the environment correctly. It was a cool secret though, and it felt good to really "earn" the BFG.

2) If you are going for a dense feel, I think that you could easily fit some more enemies in there. I especially would have liked some more monsters spawning in or ambushing you when parts of the map are being reused, and the player has to backtrack corridors to reach main points of interest

3) I could not find a way to backtrack the level from the last room without the use of cheats. That may be intended, but personally I would've liked that to be a possibility. Just for cleaning up missed enemies and/or secrets.

4) It could be a little to generous to give away a blue armor so easily. I would at least consider making it a green one on UV.

Dear lord, this looks amazing! Love your use of flesh and spine textures, absolutely gorgeous! Gotta try this back at home.

2 hours ago, RJ01 said:

恶魔城的风格, OH  GOOD

你是不是中国人?

That was incredible. I need to go back and play through it all over again so I can find all 4 secrets. Amazing work here!

The new textures are tastefully done and fit right in, bolstering the already grandiose architecture. The new decorations are also amazing - the first gore area had me stunned momentarily. The little piles of flesh and corpses are so simple yet so effective - there's a level of attention to detail here on par with Doom Eternal, I think! And this is all limit-removing? I honestly felt like I was playing a UDMF map for how creatively constructed and nuanced it was. The fastidious detail and lighting, especially the microdetails like the bloodfalls flowing into cobblestone cracks and outlets, made me smile a lot. Beautiful work. Viggles would be proud.

Played on UV - gameplay-wise I can barely fault it. The map didn't give me an SSG, and the BFG teased me every time I saw it (I didn't wind up getting it), but all the same it was a blast. I think the experience was hampered early on only slightly by a possible overuse of barons, and only furnishing the player with the shotgun/chaingun. There's also an abundance of shell ammo, implying the shotgun should be the weapon of choice here, but the knights/barons don't make for hugely fun combat with just that. This made for some dicey encounters, but once I got the RL (and plasma), the difficulty curve flattened quite a bit - my greatest enemy was often just the limited space in some areas that kept me on my toes and made me act very consciously in regards to my rocket usage. The map was a ton of fun overall. No particularly problematic balance issues that I can see!

Just one more small complaint: this map needs a new music track! The map's setting of an open-air blood-sea fortress stuffed with gore is an imaginative one, and the stock track doesn't do it justice at all. I am willing to help out here if needed, whether that's in terms of picking one out for you, or making one myself.

To everyone else: This is a must-play!

wintertowns:

1) Very good point - It was designed and tested with mouselook in mind, but there's no reason why it should be mandatory - I'll adjust the BFG secret to make it possible without.

2) Agreed - I'll drop a few more monsters down in backtracky areas.

3) I didn't want the player to be able to run away from the final fight, but I could totally make the way back out reopen after a while for secret/monster/item hunting.

4) Noted. I might rejig the armour balance a bit.

Jimmy:

Haha, even as I was making the bloodfall details I was chuckling to myself, thinking "now this is just silly."

There is an SSG quite near the start - I think I'll add another one a bit later in case people miss it though.

As for music - Adding a custom track is definitely on the list. Ideally I'd like something that sounds like a classic Doom track, using the same instruments and everything, but I don't really know how to go about doing that.

On 9/17/2018 at 6:58 PM, Jimmy said:

The map didn't give me an SSG

It actually does! There's a room in the early part of the map where you can jump through a couple hoops to get it.

As for me, I thought this map was pretty excellent as well. Like Jimmy I absolutely loved the new textures and decorations (wouldn't mind using them myself sometime down the road if you're fine with that :P) and the architecture makes the most of it. Wintertowns made some excellent points already and I only have a couple of things to add:

-The arenas with each key felt a little anticlimactic on Ultra-Violence: the Faux-bos Anomaly one was cute, but the other ones weren't all that challenging. Some swarming small monsters in the first area and a second Archie in the third area would probably evoke more reaction, but that's just my take on it.

-Similar to the first point, the final fight could use a little more beefing up. It's not too difficult to simply camp in the switch area and fire rockets till shit stops moving: still fun, but probably not the experience you were looking for. :P Some Revs teleporting into that area could probably put the scare in people: you probably don't even have to add extra, just use the ones already put aside for the fight.

-I found a few slime trails: pretty common in maps with high complexity. The first is in the second key arena and the second is in the final arena.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180917_203507.png.a01cee9fccbc28b17053c1aa16631374.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180917_204915.png.061819305762a32f4e6a370cb416d9c2.png

And I think that about covers it! None of these are game-breaking or get in the way of the fun and, to be perfectly honest, this is an amazing effort from someone who's just gotten into Doom mapping. You've done an excellent job and I'd be keen to see what other stuff you make.

Edited by Obsidian

11 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

-The arenas with each key felt a little anticlimactic on Ultra-Violence: the Faux-bos Anomaly one was cute, but the other ones weren't all that challenging. Some swarming small monsters in the first area and a second Archie in the third area would probably evoke more reaction, but that'sjust my take on it.

Yeah, I'll add a few imps or something to the revenant room.

Not sure about a second Arch Vile; it's a personal thing, but I just don't find fighting more than one of them at a time very fun. If you killed him quickly you might not have noticed the fun surprise in that room: the corpses aren't just decorative and he will resurrect them if you let him. Maybe I just need to move them closer to him so he bumps into them quicker. I'll experiment.

16 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

-Similar to the first point, the final fight could use a little more beefing up. It's not too difficult to simply camp in the switch area and fire rockets till shit stops moving: still fun, but probably not the experience you were looking for. :P Some Revs teleporting into that area could probably put the scare in people: you probably don't even have to add extra, just use the ones already put aside for the fight.

Point taken, that's a great idea.

18 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

-I found a few slime trails: pretty common in maps with high complexity. The first is in the second key arena and the second is in the final arena.

Good spot, I'll fix them.

19 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

I absolutely loved the new textures and decorations (wouldn't mind using them myself sometime down the road if you're fine with that :P)

Absolutely! I'd love to see other people using them. There's also a few more that didn't find a place in this level. What's the best way of sharing them?

What surprises me the most is that no one has thought of using cut-out textures to make arches and such. I'm sure that's going to change because of your map!

You really need add mapinfo to switch off jumping and crouching in your map, so nobody will break intended things on zdoom related ports. Besides music, you should add cool skybox to make your map shine, but it's more my personal opinion. Anyway, congratulations for releasing this beautiful map. 

@Nootrac4571 Am I correct assuming that mouse look is required for BFG secret? Do you think it would be worth mentioning it for people who usually play without it?

Was able to trigger the backpack secret from the platform above the Red Skull buttons, which is probably not the intended way. However, the lift triggered by those buttons is too slow to be able to jump on the backpack teleporter. Unless I am missing something.

6 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Jimmy:

Haha, even as I was making the bloodfall details I was chuckling to myself, thinking "now this is just silly."

There is an SSG quite near the start - I think I'll add another one a bit later in case people miss it though.

As for music - Adding a custom track is definitely on the list. Ideally I'd like something that sounds like a classic Doom track, using the same instruments and everything, but I don't really know how to go about doing that.

Oh heh, if there's an SSG near the start then that might mitigate my concerns with the balance in the first few areas. Though I'd probably still slightly take down the number of barons used. :P

I just finish your map and i love it. Beautiful map, Cool gameplay. You did great job man. Now im maybe going to sound like nitpicker but i noticed two probably wrong textures

here:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180917_161408.png.162e648a895134e7d55c345692417d3c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180917_161249.png.9755bbc1e0045f0bb520a047492a7998.png

This was a really great map, nice job! One particular highlight was the plasma rifle secret and how it let me walk around the castle exterior beforehand to get to it - I feel like teleporting in some monsters after picking up the rifle would add to the nice reward aspect of the whole bit. Y'know, a bunch of small things to blow away as a nice reward.

With regards to music I just loaded up Waiting for Romero to Play and that fit really nicely for me, so I can suggest this if you're looking for something that isn't too out there in terms of a custom track.

2 hours ago, an_mutt said:

With regards to music I just loaded up Waiting for Romero to Play and that fit really nicely for me, so I can suggest this if you're looking for something that isn't too out there in terms of a custom track.

That's exactly what I used. :)  It's my go-to IWAD track for atmospheric maps, especially when I'm on the headphones. It's nice and calm and doesn't pound my ears.

My commentary on this wonderful map is forthcoming, once I've had brunch. ;) 

Finally got around to playing this. Took me around 20 minutes to finish this map, which includes a lot of trying to figure secrets out (or figuring out if something was a secret to begin with in case of the chaingun for instance), when I spotted something. Only secrets I got in the end were the soulsphere secret and the backpack, I believe.

The BFG secret I have no idea how to get. I spotted all shoot swiches in the rooms with the keys, but one of those seemed impossible to hit without using freelook/-aim, at least I couldn't seem to find a position from where I could hit it without. I did not yet look at the map in a builder, but it would be nice to know if freeaim is a must-do, or if I've been missing something important.

As for fights, there is some fun stuff around, none of which is particularly threatening as there's usually enough room to move around, and resources aren't too scarce either. I agree that some of the barons in open spaces might be too many HitPoints for too little threat overall, and I'd also suggest just a few more revenants in some areas to spice things up just slightly. The backpack secret for example would do well with 3-4 revs in it, I believe.

@Nootrac4571 I just played your map and, from the aesthetic alone, it looks impressive...especially the meaty-skin architecture with that mech-organic evil switch. I have to agree with Nine Inch Heels with the gameplay. It was fairly hard but some of the fights were kinda easy. So, adding a few high-tier monsters will spice the fights in a good way, making it more satisfying. Overall, it was a fun map really....AH, I'd appreciate you to add an appropiate custom midi, that will make the map even better!!! Last thing, I recorded a video of your map. Expect to watch it soon :)