• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Blacksaw

Favourite Doom Monster?

Baron of hell and the cyberdemon

why?, they look like the demons of the bible

yes i love the angeology and the demonology

The Arch-vile by far. It's a speedy and high health monster that has an excellent implementation of hit-scan in a projectile heavy game. The delay to the blast gives you time to retreat or to be aggressive depending on the situation. The blast gives you a vertical launch as well, essentially trading damage for a lot of movement potential. It also resurrects other enemies, making corpses and their distribution matter. It's not only one of the best enemies in Doom, but also in video games in general.

I have a lot of love for the humble Imp. They are the stalwart of any good map, the bastion of the classic Doom encounter, and the quintessential monster design. They are the glue that holds together the bestiary.  Without the Imp, none of the other monsters would shine nearly as brightly.

And you can see their butthole when they die. 

2 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

Revenant. I think he's the most well balanced monster. And very fun to fight against.

How in the sam hell are Revenants balanced? They have the strongest projectile attack, second only to a Cyberdemon rocket, which also happens to be homing. They're essentially glass cannons, and I am still baffled to this day as to why people thinks it's a good idea to spam them in maps. Personally, I believe the most well balanced monster would have to be the Hell Knight, and while sure, he might not be the most creative, he definitely fills an important gap in the enemy roster.

Chaingunners. One one hand they're an "easy" way to get a chaingun if you put them at close range, but if you have them perched on a tower that you encounter from far away. Your stuck with having to cover until you quench it's thirst of lead. 

5 hours ago, Lazorinc said:

How in the sam hell are Revenants balanced? They have the strongest projectile attack, second only to a Cyberdemon rocket, which also happens to be homing. They're essentially glass cannons, and I am still baffled to this day as to why people thinks it's a good idea to spam them in maps. Personally, I believe the most well balanced monster would have to be the Hell Knight, and while sure, he might not be the most creative, he definitely fills an important gap in the enemy roster.

I agree. Along with Chaingunners, Pain Elementals, and Arch-Viles, Revenants are pretty annoying enemies.

6 hours ago, Lazorinc said:

Well I think of him as balanced in comparison to the Hellknight. He's more powerful, but also more fragile. Usually fighting a revenant involves shooting him twice with an SSG, and dodging one homing rocket between the shots. And I think that fighting him is fun, for the sole reason of dodging his homing rockets, which forces you to maneuver in a more unusual way than you do most of the time.

They're easy to kill, and they kill you easily. They make for some interesting encounters.

8 hours ago, Lazorinc said:

How in the sam hell are Revenants balanced? They have the strongest projectile attack, second only to a Cyberdemon rocket, which also happens to be homing. They're essentially glass cannons, and I am still baffled to this day as to why people thinks it's a good idea to spam them in maps.

Revenants may have high damage projectiles, but they're much slower than the Cyberdemon's rocket. You can practically dodge Revenant rockets on reaction (unlike the Cyberdemon's which require you to bait them out). If you dodge well and are close enough, even the homing rockets will struggle to hit you. Homing rockets can also be controlled into infighting. Plus, as you said, they're glass cannons, so you can dispatch them easily with a couple of SSG Blasts or Rockets.

Revenant spam is fine since Revenants die easily to Rockets, Plasma, and BFG blasts, so you're just forced to contend with a mass body of projectiles (some of which are homing). You treat the homing ball of death the same way you treat a single homing rocket. Revenant spam can get really grindy/tedious though. I think Scythe MAP30 is a testament to that.

From OG Doom, the Shotgun Guy. Close runner up is probably the Zombie Guy.

From mods, I really like the Nemesis enemies from Clusterfuck. Hard as fudge to kill. OH and the smg guy from Project Brutality!! 

Definitely Hell knights and cacodemons. They are well ballanced and even in bigger group they are fairly fun to fight. 

In terms of raw monster design, Cacodemon all the way. If there was ever a mascot to the doom roster, it'd be that Cacodemon.

But if I had to say which monster is most fun to fight...I mean, can I choose a small group? Doom monsters aren't designed for one on one fights as much as bigger fights with lots going on. But I've always been super fond of a good old zombie pinky imp group if handled right. It's such a masterful dynamic that every other enemy in the game is some variation on those three.

17 hours ago, Lazorinc said:

I am still baffled to this day as to why people thinks it's a good idea to spam them in maps.

Revspam annoys me too, but I can see why it happens.  They're easy to use and versatile.

Ease of use: Boss monsters, Mancubi and Arachnotron require you to specifically plan architecture that allows them to move through it.  Revs can basically go anywhere that a trooper can.

Versatility: they aren't a big sack of hit points, allowing fights with them to be fairly brief, they move fast which means they can catch up to a player who has to pause to fight something else or deal with a door, and they have three different attack forms (punch/fast rocket/homing rocket) where other monsters have only 1 or 2.

It's going to the Archvile - not only can the fiend set you ablaze, it can also revive fallen comrades undoing all your work. And on top of that all, I'm convinced the creature design was inspired by the 1988 dark fantasy horror film 'Pumpkinhead'. 

The Arch-Vile for sure.

Raising hell and destroying everything that crawls, my kind of guy.