Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Blacksaw

"Favourite Horror Movie?"

My personal favourite has to be IT due to its horror factor of clowns and also how he gets into childrens minds and reanimates their fears for them to face. Also Evil Dead

Edited by Captain Blacksaw

I'll contribute to this thread, although this topic is heavily recycled.

John Carpenter's The Thing by miles. There are other horror movies worth praise but The Thing is on another level.

People have beat me to it; it would either be Alien or The Thing (1982 version).

When I was about 8 I was surfing cable channels and came cross The Thing which I found very interesting. My dad took us to blockbuster to get some movies on VHS (does this age me?), so I thought I would try to find that movie because I wanted to watch it again. I tried to explain the best I could at that age about some "thing" titled film that I wanted to see, but they (and my dad) had no clue what I was talking about. Many people probably don't believe it now, but the thing was apparently a very hidden gem of a movie (since it was overshadowed by ET and film critics found it too gross in theaters) back in the day. So it is likely that blockbuster never ever carried it. Luckily I re-found it as a teenager and got it on DVD (another film I re-found later on was THX 1138). I recently found "The Thing" board game, which takes a bit of effort to learn but fun to play with 4+ people; and I recently bought "The Thing" video game on the Xbox.

As a honorable mention, I also really enjoy Hellraiser 2! Not to say Hellraiser 1 isn't good, it's great (its book, Hellbound Heart, may be my favorite book), but Hellraiser 2 is more dark and disgusting in my opinion.

My favorite horror movie of all time (and possibly favorite movie) is this one:

With 'The Thing' in 2nd place

From slashers I like Friday the 13th and Halloween the most (any of the early movies, until like the 4th film in each series).

Otherwise I guess The Thing.

Gonna be a tie between The Exorcist, The Shining, The Thing, and Alien.

Now that I think about it, I've never actually seen John Carpenter's The Thing. Which is weird, because I've seen plenty of his movies and have generally really enjoyed them. I'm plenty familiar with the movie's influence on filmmaking and pop culture but have never actually sat down to watch the movie. 

Note to self: Make a point to watch The Thing within the next little while.

The Fly (1986) is also a horror movie deserving of the absolute highest praise I can give. It's just so achingly morbid and sad, but also brilliantly written, directed and acted. 

Edited by Ajora

I think The Thing and The Ring were the only Horror Movies I've watched that truly managed to surprise me, after that every other Horror Movie I've watched was either too boring or re-using expected scenarios.

I can't just have one.. Alien, Halloween 1978, Event Horizon, Virus 1999, Nightmare on elm street 1984 and Friday the 13th.

My all time favorites are The Ring (2002) and Blair Witch Project.

For some good newer horror movies, I can only recommend "The Witch" from 2015 and "The Void" from 2016. These are awesome.

The first is about a witch in the early time of the colonization of America and is scary as fuck, the latter about some strange things happening in a remote hospital while paying tribute to classic 80's horror movies. Oh and I forgot "The Autopsy of Jane Doe". Horrifying as well, UGH! Had to lower the volume quite some times...

Jane Doe was definitely the scariest movie I watched in the past years.

I could also use your guys help as well. In my youth I've seen a horror movie, most likely made in the 80's about some strange book from hell. The people were transported to some sick and twisted parallel universe with monsters in it. Sadly I don't remember any vivid details, only what it was about. I checked The Evil Dead Trilogy, but I'm not sure from the trailers if it's the one I meant.

Have a nice day y'all

I'm pleased to say that The Thing was pretty amazing. Hard to say at this point if this or The Fly qualifies as my second favorite horror movie. It's definitely my favorite John Carpenter movie. It also has one of the best antagonistic monsters I've ever seen, as well as some of the best visual effects I've ever seen in a film. My only complaints are that most of the characters didn't really distinguish themselves apart from one another very well, and the ending was slightly weak. 

The Haunting, original 1963 version, because it works on your mind. I won't watch this alone in the dark. After that would come Alien, which also works on your mind but throws in unsettling gore. Dead of Night (1945) continues my preference for creepy over gory. The mannequin sequence is choice. Same creepy factor with Curse of The Demon (1957). And then comes Christine because 1958 Plymouth Fury with dual-quad 318.

I like a lot of movies others have listed, for example Night of The Living Dead, The Thing (John Carpenter), The Evil Dead trilogy, and stuff like Saw, Final Destination and Hostel.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:45 AM, explorix said:

I could also use your guys help as well. In my youth I've seen a horror movie, most likely made in the 80's about some strange book from hell. The people were transported to some sick and twisted parallel universe with monsters in it. Sadly I don't remember any vivid details, only what it was about. I checked The Evil Dead Trilogy, but I'm not sure from the trailers if it's the one I meant.

From Beyond?