Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1.5 Released on 10.17.2018]

18 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Multiplayer stuff:

Ok, Right and that makes sense, no worries.

I just noticed there wasn't much on the side of command line parameters for it, although in game there was some options, which even allowed bot/ai players.

But it sounds like you guys have plans to rework the network code?

We did at one point. But it got sidetracked as bigger features that were in higher demand were done first (OpenAL is a big one, finishing up polyobjects, UDMF, COAL stuff, ROTT). Maybe we will revisit it sometime, maybe not, but the important thing there is that we get all of those issues done first.

We know that UDMF is in demand for better map support, things like OpenAL are necessary to replace horrid SDL2 audio and all the features that have been long requested, etc. Split screen though needs to be addressed first however, the input reworking is sort of a big deal right now as major parts will need to be added onto for configurable controls across both players. 

Which, once splitscreen is done, will pave the way for at the very least LAN play across a network. Haven't looked into it heavily as it was def in a state of flux, having been reworked a handful of times across development of the engine.

Compiling on Athlon,  Linux 4.4.153

When I do CMAKE, There is a line that says

"Performing test CAN_DO_ARCHSSE2", to which it says  "Failed"

I have an Athlon64, which does have sse2 instructions, according to /proc/cpuinfo.

I am going to not try to figure this one out, and leave it for you:

Download of Edge-master downloaded 2018-10-18, at 2:30 Minnesota time.

Compilation on Linux 4.4.153, using GCC 5.5.0.

Error in r_image.cc, line 410:

translevel = EPI_LE_S16(buffer, hdr_size);

Error: macro EPI_LE_S16 has been passed 2 args, but only has 1.

Error: EPI_LE_S16 not declared in this scope.

-- I have no idea how it could know it has 1 arg, can point to the def in endianess.h, and then post this error msg.

Error: cast from rottpatch_t* to u16_t loses precision

epi/endianess.h

#define  EPI_LE_S16(X)    ((s16_t) EPI_LE_U16((u16_t) (X)

r_image.cc  line 418

origsize = EPI_LE_S16( (rottpatch_t*)origsize );

-- it is right, a ptr is usually at least 32 bit, unless you have the 64 bit version

Edited by wesleyjohnson

14 hours ago, wesleyjohnson said:

I am going to not try to figure this one out, and leave it for you:

Download of Edge-master downloaded 2018-10-18, at 2:30 Minnesota time.

Compilation on Linux 4.4.153, using GCC 5.5.0.

Error in r_image.cc, line 410:

translevel = EPI_LE_S16(buffer, hdr_size);

Error: macro EPI_LE_S16 has been passed 2 args, but only has 1.

Error: EPI_LE_S16 not declared in this scope.

-- I have no idea how it could know it has 1 arg, can point to the def in endianess.h, and then post this error msg.

Error: cast from rottpatch_t* to u16_t loses precision

epi/endianess.h

#define  EPI_LE_S16(X)    ((s16_t) EPI_LE_U16((u16_t) (X)

r_image.cc  line 418

-- it is right, a ptr is usually at least 32 bit, unless you have the 64 bit version

The translevel/hdr_size stuff is safe to be completely removed, I am intentionally leaving out the translevel stuff and using the single struct to handle all cases of it; we do this in the column drawing code anyway. In r_image, I restored the rpat->origsize buffer and got rid of that custom rolled one so it's read like the other EPI_LE_S16(pat->[]) values.

I cannot tell if you have not noticed older postings, or have forgotten some issues, or just have not replied to them.

Current outstanding issues:

1.  I can see the translevel patch in the GIT, but when I pull a master copy, I get the same old code from 10/17, which still fails with the same error messages.  I am not understanding GIT, or that patch has not been updated into the master.

2.  CMAKE setup does not detect the SSE2 capability of my Athlon64.  Now, flightgear does detect SSE2, and it also uses CMAKE.

3.  Hoping for response to installation problems.  Where is edge.epk supposed to be, and why cannot Edge find it where make installed it, " /usr/local/share/games/doom/edge.epk" ?

4.  You have a outstanding message about debugging those last ROTT drawing errors.

Addendum:

To proceed I tried putting in the patches by hand.

I could not make any sense of the line:

Casting the origsize to a ptr, is not going to have much effect on the EPI_LE_S16, and adding the flag -fpermissive is just hiding the problem.

I changed it to:

origsize = EPI_LE_S16( ((rottpatch_t*)pat)->origsize );

I do not know if that is right, but it compiles, and it at least resembles accessing the loaded structure. (just for testing the compile)!

Testing:

Again it cannot find edge.epk, so I copied edge.epk and the EDGE binary to /usr/local/games.

SO.. now it starts, I see the loading screen, it goes through GLBSP stuff, toplevel stuff, and Loading stuff.

The last lines before it quits were:

Loading external Levels
	Loading external RadTrig

Missing Languages  !

Edited by wesleyjohnson : Addendum:

I was just trying this (EDGE) a few days ago and noticed that there is support for bot match. So i gave it a shot and noticed that while bots are working ok-ish, i noticed a weird bug where my screen/playerview would tilt after a bot dies (either by myself or another bot). Don't know if this happens in multiplayer too but it happened in botmatch.

@wesleyjohnson from @Chilly Willy:

Anywho, once you run it, all the misc files like logs and configs go in a new directory it makes in the home called .EDGE. The leading dot makes it invisible to the desktop. It's linux's version of hidden.

I put all the edge stuff (executable, ddf folders, etc) in edge2 in my home. Works nicely.

I do the same thing for Xubuntu, so I would need a bit more info on how you have your setup configured.

Also I'm updating the Git shortly with the ROTT fixes. I've learned some interesting information though, which I'll share on your wall in a bit.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:17 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

Turning on GL3 Features option in-game still causes all sprites to be black. I was expecting this issue to go away but still not.

Still not completed, but it is being attended to, we promise.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:18 AM, ReaperAA said:

I was just trying this (EDGE) a few days ago and noticed that there is support for bot match. So i gave it a shot and noticed that while bots are working ok-ish, i noticed a weird bug where my screen/playerview would tilt after a bot dies (either by myself or another bot). Don't know if this happens in multiplayer too but it happened in botmatch.

Gah, great catch! I forget how fun Bots are (used to do Botmatch in my old Blood/Hypertension TC). I will patch it so it only affects the player(s) being displayed currently. I'll probably fix it in a devbuild.

@VGA I added your resolution to the possible modes list for SDL2. That'll also be in a devbuild due to be uploaded shortly.

I am still having a problem with identification of Edge versions.

At

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/3dge/

there is

EDGE-x64-2.1.0-RC2-g582ad08bc.7z   Nov 29 2018

So there may be a RC2 version now.

BTW, I cannot run that because it is 64 and I am 32, but I was looking for source anyway.

Found some Source at

https://github.com/3dfxdev/EDGE

but cannot determine any version marking.  It might be RC2, or it might be something after RC2.

It looks like the best I can do is mark it as the  2018_11_23 version.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:42 PM, wesleyjohnson said:

I am still having a problem with identification of Edge versions.

At

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/3dge/

there is

EDGE-x64-2.1.0-RC2-g582ad08bc.7z   Nov 29 2018

So there may be a RC2 version now.

BTW, I cannot run that because it is 64 and I am 32, but I was looking for source anyway.

Found some Source at

https://github.com/3dfxdev/EDGE

but cannot determine any version marking.  It might be RC2, or it might be something after RC2.

It looks like the best I can do is mark it as the  2018_11_23 version.

RC2 was originally slated to be released but it had some bugs. Figured I would refrain from release until they were further worked out. So we are just skipping RC2 and moving to RC3, which will be released after some end-user testing. Versioning is still a mess but once we merge the base_ddf branch we will officially mark that release as RC3. (Still getting used to git, but at least it is much easier than svn).

I pushed current devbuilds to DRDTeam that I would request be play tested; made some changes to the external script location (instead of XXX_ddf folders in root, they are all contained in /base) to keep the root directory simpler. Does not affect internal scripts in archives which are still expected to be found in the /scripts namespace).

Other things have been fixed too since the last November builds - please if anyone has time, test them out and report any bugs. I will try to push Linux versions there too.

Framerate should be smoother in these builds and I finally fixed the ghosting square in the lower left corner of the screen bug, as well as the solid black screen, upon resolution change. Also got SDL2 mouse-grabbing functional again (now, it is using relative mouse mode). Made some more improvements to the SDL window management. Full screen is still broken (framerate tanks terribly), so I recommend using windowed modes - in EDGE they are border less. Also some COAL additions for player<->camera tuning.

Still working on demos, and still working on Wolf3D/ROTT support. Recently took a look at networking code and thinking about implementing a model closely tied to Doom64EX's netcode, but splitscreen needs to be fixed first.

Controls still need some tuning IMO, plus they aren't working again for Split screen. Anyone with some decent SDL2 experience would be highly welcome, because EDGE's hand-rolled code for joystick/etc management needs a desperate rethinking.

If you guys' can test out those Windows builds that'd be great! If you have AMD/Radeon video cards and getting bad framerates (like I do on my RX580), check out this article on the EDGEWiki for AMD Settings adjustment to fix the problems. AFAIK nVidia users are covered and won't need to tweak anything ;)

Edited by Coraline