Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Vanilla Doom smooth weapons

Nah, I'm sure you're explanation was fine. It seems to work when viewing Bloodspeed's dehacked file, but admittedly I don't know WTF I'm doing. Frames 780-782, the ones modified by Bloodspeed's dehacked, seem to correspond to the Romero head. When I open the vsmooth dehacked I get error messages; the frames also seem to correspond to the Romero head, not the chaingun, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I at least learned what I need to do: open any new Boom WAD in Slade and check for a dehacked file that may possibly conflict with vsmooth.wad. Vsmooth looks great, but it's not essential, and I don't want to load it after any WAD and possibly break something the mapmaker set up

Edited by Hard2Poop

UPDATE: Turns out I was wrong all along. I just tested out the chaingun with plain ol' Doom 2, no custom maps, and the weapon switching speed is still slow when switching out of the chaingun - but the problem appears to be the Sprite Fix dehacked file. This is the command line I use that causes problems:
> -file pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad spritefix\D2SPFX19.WAD vsmooth\vsmooth.wad -deh spritefix\D2DEHFIX.DEH

But if I remove D2DEHFIX.deh, then switching out of the chaingun no longer causes problems!

EDIT: This problem only occurs when using PrBoom+. I can use the full command line in Crispy Doom, no problem.
EDIT 2: The problem only occurs when using vsmooth.wad with d2dehfix.deh. Obviously you can use the Sprite Fix .wad with its .deh file no problem

Edited by Hard2Poop

There was always something about the smoothed shotgun frames that bothered me... they just never seemed right. I think I figured it out and fixed it; I offset a single tic of timing and added a portion of the hand that should have been there from the beginning. Also includes...

• Rocket launcher frame timing
  • Plasma rifle firing frame correction
  • Stupid swapping hand sprites on the final frame of the Super shotgun
  • Super shotgun sfx - if you're gonna cheat in Doom 1, might as well get the sounds, too.

Fixed Vanilla Smooth Weapons

Edited by Scuba Steve

8 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

There was always something about the smoothed shotgun frames that bothered me... they just never seemed right. I think I figured it out and fixed it; I offset a single tic of timing and added a portion of the hand that should have been there from the beginning. Also includes...

Thanks and sorry that I haven't gotten around to incorporating your changes yet because I know you fixed some stuff up a while back. Can you clarify if you changed the dehacked patch? Assuming so, it would be really helpful if you could point out which frames you changed. The dehacked patch is entirely autogenerated and I don't edit it myself - the source code for it is here which you can probably tell is a lot easier to work with. 

For what it's worth, I watched a 45 minute uv-max run of Doom 2 maps 11 to 20 (plus the secret levels of course) and it didn't desync, so well done keeping that consistent.

Fixed Vanilla Smooth Weapons

I made massive changes to almost every weapon in vanilla smooth Doom...

• The regular shotgun has been completely redone utilizing the original SHTGB keyframe.
  • Plasma rifle kickback improved.
  • Pistol timing and order rearranged to give a meatier feeling.
  • BFG firing frame overhauled.

@SiFi270 You'll have to let me know if this one desyncs...

I watched the same demo and it went the same. Then I remembered how some of the earliest versions had problems with nightmare demos so I watched one of those and that went fine too.

Cleaned Up Vanilla Smooth Weapons

I've spent a couple months tinkering on-and-off with the Super Shotgun and I just couldn't get anything I liked while preserving the action frames so it doesn't desynch Vanilla Doom... but today I sat down and just something came up that feels much more dynamic than the previous one. I think it's probably the best you can do without chaining the SSG timing. This includes all the other changes including the Regular Shotgun overhaul. And yes, @fraggle, there is a decorate copy.

@Scuba Steve, SSG refuses to work in PrBoom+.

Spoiler

ssg-animation-error.png

Edited by Dimon12321 : Switch image host to free DW attachment space

Looks like there was one lone PNG left unconverted. Here's a slightly tweaked version that should run perfectly in all ports, plus it comes with a really easy vanilla installer now too (just extract to your doom or doom2 dir and type "install" then type "play"). Of course, it boots as normal in PrBoom or Choco and you can ignore all the other DOS stuff.

vsmooth2.zip

Edited by Doomkid

Thanks, fixed.

Edit: Fixed desynching issue caused by mistimed frame (thanks Doomkid).

Edited by Scuba Steve

The new official port supports dehacked, but this WAD doesn't seem to show up properly.
It seems to me that I need to investigate and report this to the slayersclub forum.

Im new here, so i made a black gloves version of this mod and vbrutal mod (minimal graphic tweaks) and i didn't change the code (except the "you got dual smgs" changed to its original state) and changed the file name to avoid confusions.

also i included a palette mod (contrasted version of Jovpal.wad) to use with Doom 64 for Doom 2 wad and others.

vbrutalblack & vsmoothblack.zip

Edited by Proxmin : Update 1.6

3 hours ago, Proxmin said:

Im new here, so i made a black gloves version of this mod and vbrutal mod (minimal graphic tweaks) and i didn't change the code (except the "you got dual smgs" changed to its original state) and changed the file name to avoid confusions.

Your mod uses the Chocolate Doom magic extended strings comment. Can you please not do this? The patch doesn't even need it. Where did you learn to do this, and have you used it in other mods?

I was thinking if I can use your mod combined with other mods for example a different mapset with the recent doom update from bethesda

Update 1:

• Retouched Fist's sprite (and vsmoothblack).

• Reworked Pistol's animations.

• "Remodeled" Shotgun sprite (and vsmoothblack).

• Retouched Chaingun (also vsmoothblack).

• Reworked Rocket launcher's animations.

• BFG 9000 now has backfire animation.

• All weapons (not chainsaw and fist) now have fire lighting sprites.

• Added all ammunition sprite pickup and plasma and bfg's fire sprites just in case you want to play this in some Pwads (Freedoom etc.)

• And added Super shotgun default sound just like vsmooth's.

• Also added all new weapon sound effects for your brutal needs (load my sound mod before perk's hd sound (optional if you want to use his mod) ).

Update 1.1:

• Relight Shotgun's fire sprites (and vsmoothblack).

• Relight Rocket launcher's fire sprites.

Update 1.2:

• Retouched Shotgun's 2 sprites [SHTGB0, PKSGE0] (and vsmoothblack).

• Reworked Pistol's animations again.

Update 1.3:

• Reworked and Retouched Shotgun's animations and sprites (and vsmoothblack).

• Retouched Plasmagun's "overheat" sprites.

Update 1.4:

• Retouched Chaingun's fire lighting sprites (and vsmoothblack).

• And retouched Pistol, Shotgun and Super Shotgun's fire lighting sprites (white to yellow).

Update 1.5:

• Reworked and Retouched Fist's sprites and Super Shotgun's hand reloading sprites (now has a two rectangle holes just like the boxcover).

• Reworked and Retouched Chainsaw's sprites.

• Retouched Shotgun and Super Shotgun's sprites (weird little red pixels).

• And updated the vbrutalblack's deh file (no longer centered if fired), instead, i made vbrutalblackalign.deh file just in case you want to use it in chocolate doom (fixed also the "one pixel movement bug" by setting "UNKNOWN01 = 1" to "0" in vbrutalblack.wad and .deh code except the align file).

I will make vbrutalfancy if i have time and some inspiration soon.

Update 1.6:

• Reworked Super Shotgun's fire animation to have more kickback and some other stuff that i forgot to mention.

Edited by Proxmin

Just checked the new update and it seems the magic Choco Doom stuff allowing BEX strings to be parsed is still present.. The mod itself looks nice but you really should get rid of that, it's not good practice.

Is there a way to fix the 1 pixel movement (horizontally) bug in my mod when playing zdoom ports? 

Also, can everyone teach me how to set weapon speed and timing on every weapon?

Thanks in advance.

Edit 2:

Nevermind the above sentences, could atleast someone send (or PM) me the python file (.py) of this mod (fraggle's latest mod) please? (Also vbrutal's .py if you had one)

(tried to download smooth.py from fraggle's deh9000 example file but it's outdated).

Edited by Proxmin

On 7/11/2020 at 2:08 AM, Scuba Steve said:

Thanks, fixed.

Edit: Fixed desynching issue caused by mistimed frame (thanks Doomkid).

Just tagging @Scuba Steve and @Doomkid to remind them to tag me back if they ever get around to fixing the green fog on multiplayer item respawns. Have been using this on Odamex servers and, beside the wrong item respawn fog, players love it.

Isn't this related to the deh process used by fraggle's code to search for frames that can be "stolen" and repurposed for codepointers/animation? You can also notice that the final 2/3 gibbing frames of troopers/sergeants revert to the last frames of the imp gibbing.

Hello!  I've tried using this mod in the latest version of the DSDA-DOOM port (a new fork of PrBoom+) playing BtSX E2, and when I fire the BFG, it not only doesn't seem smooth, but it includes a frame which I believe is from the SSG sequence.  If someone can look into this, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, Bytefyre said:

Hello!  I've tried using this mod in the latest version of the DSDA-DOOM port (a new fork of PrBoom+) playing BtSX E2, and when I fire the BFG, it not only doesn't seem smooth, but it includes a frame which I believe is from the SSG sequence.  If someone can look into this, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

Which engine? I tried loading them in all available orders and it works in Odamex without issue

I've haD experiences where certain wads with dehacked cause issues.  Doom 64 for Doom 2 or Doom Zero are examples.

Edited by BlueThunder

Hi, sorry to bother anyone with my beginner questions, but I just wanted to know if this .wad was compatible with PrBoom +, seeing as that is the best source port I can use right now. If it is, how do I go about installing it? I'm kinda lost when it comes to this stuff, I'm sorry. 

Just now, NotSoSeriousNick said:

Hi, sorry to bother anyone with my beginner questions, but I just wanted to know if this .wad was compatible with PrBoom +, seeing as that is the best source port I can use right now. If it is, how do I go about installing it? I'm kinda lost when it comes to this stuff, I'm sorry. 

-Drag and drop all of the files to either prboom or glboom exe

-Use PrBoom+ built-in launcher: 

Screenshot_3.png.2fc74d418b94940474b7b0a21064b68d.png

-Use some alternative launchers like Doom Explorer

-Make a thread about it on this webstite