Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Vanilla Doom smooth weapons

6 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

@Ralphis, was the dehextra smooth weapons finished or was the complevel9 problem still unsolved?

@Scuba Steve I haven't had a ton of time to follow up since then, but to my knowledge complevel9 problem was never solved.

I need help tracking it down then. Do we have a dehacked expert who might have the answer? Complevel9 is Boom, correct? Why would it work in Vanilla but not that?

On 11/15/2022 at 10:00 PM, Scuba Steve said:

I need help tracking it down then. Do we have a dehacked expert who might have the answer? Complevel9 is Boom, correct? Why would it work in Vanilla but not that?

@Keyboard_Doomer was who had helped find the desyncing demos in the different complevels. They were incredibly helpful. Their list is what helped me find that frame on the SSG for vanilla demos. He wasn't able to provide insight into why, but he was able to provide lists of which demos broke. For some reason Discord wiped out our DM so I wasn't able to go back and look at it again.

How I solved the location of the desync on the doom2 demo we went through was playing back the demo with and without vsmooth. Then I played them side by side and watched for where the desync occurred. If it happens off camera, it could be an issue but given that vsmooth only affects weapons, I think you'd be like to find it that way

Where do i find the list of "things" (don't know what its called) like AM_CLIP, AM_SHELL etc.. i'm a noob when it comes to this (although i'm fine working with Decorate coding). Also, when i replace "PISF" into "PKPF", it doesn't work (Token "A": Expected valid sprite name. "PKPF" is not a valid name.).

Edited by Proxmin-O : forgot to add

I'm getting this error in Woof when using this:

I_SignalHandler: Exit on illegal storage access (signal 11)

11 hours ago, TasAcri said:

I'm getting this error in Woof when using this:

I_SignalHandler: Exit on illegal storage access (signal 11)

Are you using it with some other mod (KDIKDIZD)? KDIKDIZD' DEHACKED is too advanced, it won't work. Works for IWADs or PWADs like Alien Vendetta or Scythe.

55 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Are you using it with some other mod (KDIKDIZD)? KDIKDIZD' DEHACKED is too advanced, it won't work. Works for IWADs or PWADs like Alien Vendetta or Scythe.

I try to use it with Eviternity but it seems it won't accept it.

Eviternity has a fair bit of dehacked stuff by itself, including tweaks to the pistol, and dehacked patches tend not to mix.

I think Eviternity and KDiKDiKDiKDiKDiZ D would have a better experience if a new dedicated Smooth animation was launched.
(These two have changed weapons to begin with, so adding other mods without thinking is a recipe for problems).

7 minutes ago, ni1chigo2115 said:

I think Eviternity and KDiKDiKDiKDiKDiZ D would have a better experience if a new dedicated Smooth animation was launched.
(These two have changed weapons to begin with, so adding other mods without thinking is a recipe for problems).

As for KDiKDiZD, I don’t think there’s enough space left to add smooth weapons to it via dehacked, at least not without using MBF21 extensions (and thus restricting it to MBF21-supporting ports). The vanilla deh states table is already packed pretty full.

Btw how to add custom sprites (ex. "PKPIA0") in Decohack? should i "load" the WAD that contains custom sprites (extra) into DoomTools?

Forgive my "stupid" questions, i will release it here (or a new thread) when it's ready.

Edited by Proxmin-O : wrong definition (NVM)

I'm having crashes with Woof and some other megawads.

For instance, the mod works fine with Sunlust. But crashes with Sunder.

20 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

This works better with other mods (it uses DEHEXTRA):

29 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

I'm having crashes with Woof and some other megawads.

Sunder has its own DeHackEd with a custom enemy, incompatibility with other DeHackEd patches is to be expected. It might work with old versions of Sunder, from before the custom enemy was introduced. Same deal as what we said about Eviternity a few posts up.

7 minutes ago, rfomin said:

This works better with other mods (it uses DEHEXTRA):

This doesn't work. It doesn't crash but it doesn't make the weapons smoother either.

2 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Sunder has its own DeHackEd with a custom enemy, incompatibility with other DeHackEd patches is to be expected. It might work with old versions of Sunder, from before the custom enemy was introduced.

Got it. Though, i can still use smooth weapon mods with Sunder + GZDoom. It just crashes with Woof.

I apologize for bumping a year-old thread, but I enjoy this mod quite a bit and wanted to ask about something I only just noticed. As far as E1M1 is concerned, every instance of the player gibs (first screenshot, no mods) has been replaced with the zombieman/shotgunner gibs (second screenshot, mod enabled). Assuming this applies universally, is this intentional behavior? I've read through this thread and didn't see any mention of sprite changes beyond weapons, so I was a little surprised.

2024-01-22 (16).png

2024-01-22 (18).png

My 2 cents: this is a great project but from what I can tell it's quite complicated to implement without trouble in "pure" vanilla due to static limitations on sprites. My desire to play with a smooth mod in more conservative source ports like DSDA has led me to bite the bullet and run Alaux's excellent mod Smooth Doom MBF21. Is it vanilla? Not anymore, but you're much less likely to encounter crashes or other problems thanks to how much the MBF21 format can accommodate.

Yes, in order to find additional frames using dehacked, things like the final gib frames of the imp/trooper/player/sarge all use the same entries since they look so similar. I made a DEH Extra patch that works with most ports, but if you want smooth weapons in pure vanilla, this is the only way to add additional frame entries to each weapon.

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

Yes, in order to find additional frames using dehacked, things like the final gib frames of the imp/trooper/player/sarge all use the same entries since they look so similar. I made a DEH Extra patch that works with most ports, but if you want smooth weapons in pure vanilla, this is the only way to add additional frame entries to each weapon.

Thank you for the work. As a side note, I am quite the spoiled player who can't live without high res, unlocked FPS, the removal of static limits, and support for multiple complevels, so not having this option in Chocolate or even the original executable isn't an issue for me at all. That being said, there definitely are other players who want that, so there's a target audience for every piece of work the community does. 

On 1/23/2024 at 1:03 PM, Scuba Steve said:

Thank you (and @DreadWanderer) for the answer, I've learned something new! I'm currently using dsda-doom, so I'll give the DEH Extra patch a spin. I was using one of your previous patches before, so thank you as well for your additions to the mod.

Edited by Jakura

11 hours ago, Jakura said:

Thank you (and @DreadWanderer) for the answer, I've learned something new! I'm currently using dsda-doom, so I'll give the DEH Extra patch a spin. I was using one of your previous patches before, so thank you as well for your additions to the mod.

My Doom knowledge isn't that great, but from what I understand, DEHEXTRA is basically DeHacked with that extra oomph, while keeping it as close to vanilla as possible. You still have limits but they're much less of a pain, and all it requires is a limit-removing sourceport (essentially everything minus the Choco Doom family).

I did notice something different with the DEH Extra patch when testing in a couple different source ports: the plasma rifle's frames are uneven, sort of stuttering when holding down the fire button. The last vsmooth patch from Scuba Steve has perfectly even frames in comparison. At first I thought this was an anomaly, but after messing around a bit I realized the "stuttering" matches vanilla, non-modded behavior. I grabbed the decorate version of the Extra patch, and it fixed the problem in GZDoom; but I haven't yet figured out a fix for DSDA/other source ports, if there is one.

Edited by Jakura

@Scuba Steve If you're still around and into this project then could you please tell what the difference is between your last vsmooth update and EXTRAsmooth? I tried both and they looked the same except the Plasma Rifle's fire frame looks to have more recoil (shake) when firing in your last vsmooth update compared to EXTRAsmooth.

Also if you can then can you please make another update to that last vsmooth version to include those BFG spirtes that shoot the tracer ball from the muzzle of the BFG instead of the place where the muzzle is attached to?

Edit: If possible then the BFG from @Proxmin-O vbrutalblack variant? But with normal gloves. As I don't like the Plasma Rifle in his version.

Thank you so much for your wok. I absolutely love this. just that last nitpick I have this mod/addon before I toss it into my OG XBox and play with some vanilla wads.

Edited by FR4M3 : BFG but with the correct Muzzle. Is in Proximin-O's version.