Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Vanilla Doom smooth weapons

Help an uneducated guy out: what is the DEH necessary for? I can run the wad in Crispy and prboom+ just fine and it'll be the same with or without the DEH patch.

It’s for running in Doom2.exe and chocolate doom. The deh data must be stored in the wad itself if PrBoom is picking it up, but the vanilla exe needs to be edited which is what the deh is for.

On 12/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, fraggle said:

Most source ports have now also added the ability to embed .deh files inside .wad files as well - you just put it in your .wad as a lump named DEHACKED. So then there's only one file to load instead of two and it all becomes a lot simpler. vsmooth.wad includes vsmooth.deh in this way, but if you want to play under DOS with vanilla Doom you'll still need the original .deh file!

I just recently found vsmooth on wadarchive because I needed a Boom compatible version of perk's smooth animations, is there any difference between this version linked in the OP and the one in WadArchive.com?

Fraggle, what's the deal? Why does this project still have the improper rocket launcher flash frames overlaid on the firing frames? It seems like, with how wonderful this project is at making vanilla compatible smooth weapons, it could at least fix the rocket launcher sprite. Maybe you could use frames from the minor sprite fix project?

Screenshot_Doom_20190104_195346.png.ef34958999bff704abdba1d70037904d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190104_195329.png.011be6ac2e744fad41f0d253ba4332d1.png

Sorry for asking noobish.. But can I load this mod with GZDoom? 

Hi @fraggle. Would it be possible to integrate the sprites from the neural upscale project into this mod? 

1 hour ago, TR2N said:

Hi @fraggle. Would it be possible to integrate the sprites from the neural upscale project into this mod? 

I'm not fraggle, but I doubt it. Vanilla doesn't support sprite rescaling, so you'd end up with giant weapons (if the engine doesn't crash outright). Besides, the neural upscale project doesn't include the extra animation frames.

I have some issues with compatibility. I use glboom+ v2.5.1.3.

Pic 3: When I launch several wads including vsmooth.wad the game crashes after the first shot

glboom-plus 2019-01-30 20-20-25-38.png

glboom-plus 2019-01-30 20-20-55-62.png

glboom-plus.png

7 hours ago, dmslr said:

I have some issues with compatibility. I use glboom+ v2.5.1.3.

Pic 3: When I launch several wads including vsmooth.wad the game crashes after the first shot

It might have to do with the "scythex.deh" file you're using. This mod already has a DeHackEd patch, and since it's borrowing frames from everywhere it's probably causing some conflicts.

This is dope!! Just enough. Love Smooth Doom but I'm not a huge fan of the GZDoom source port. Works beautifully with PrBoom+. Nice work man. I'll be using this all the time now.

Edited by NerdyButLazy

Encountered a small glitch while playing the bonus level in Scythe using PrBoom+. Only seems to show up when I'm at a certain height.

Spoiler

image.png.f0be403b55173fbe469301dc32bd5cf6.png

BTSX E2: http://esselfortium.net/wasd/btsx_e2_b3.zip (zip md5sum 8fe80a92320e1b5c43f1c03f1408a601).

Vanilla Doom Smooth Weapons: latest: https://soulsphere.org/random/vsmooth.zip (wad md5sum e18290734a363e98d0a43dc1d80556e5).

A pair of strange glitches:

GZDoom v4.1.1:

G1. If vsmooth.wad is loaded before BTSX wads, firing BFG9000 hurts the player.

G2. If BTSX wads are loaded before vsmooth.wad, a single shotgun frame appears during BFG9000 firing animation:

Spoiler

qh8iUxg.png

Prboom-Plus v2.5.1.5:

P1. PrBoom crashes: I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: Segmentation fault

P2. The same as G2.

This is probably a Dehacked conflict, but none of these glitches happens on BTSX E1.

E2's deh isn't identical to E1's, because it has at least one new thing, namely a duplicate zombieman that can trigger keenspecial stuff.

So glad you made a Vanilla compatible version of Smooth Animations, I can't play without it lol. 2 questions, 1. Is there any source port this WON'T work with? and 2. For Chocolate Doom, does the -merge vsmooth.wad -dehlump command have to be used EVERY time you start it with vsmooth.wad?

On 5/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, m8f said:

This is probably a Dehacked conflict, but none of these glitches happens on BTSX E1.

Thanks, yes - already aware of these clashes with BTSX E2. I haven't looked into a fix yet (it might be difficult to pull off).

On 5/9/2019 at 12:00 PM, Beezle said:

So glad you made a Vanilla compatible version of Smooth Animations, I can't play without it lol. 2 questions, 1. Is there any source port this WON'T work with? and 2. For Chocolate Doom, does the -merge vsmooth.wad -dehlump command have to be used EVERY time you start it with vsmooth.wad?

1. Not as far as I know

2. Latest builds of Chocolate Doom have an autoload feature and you can drop the WAD file and dehacked patch file into your autoload folder to have it load every time (I've done this myself)

27 minutes ago, fraggle said:

1. Not as far as I know

2. Latest builds of Chocolate Doom have an autoload feature and you can drop the WAD file and dehacked patch file into your autoload folder to have it load every time (I've done this myself)

Cool thanks Fraggle!

4 hours ago, unpleasantmarine said:

Would a smooth monsters animations be possible too

No. Vanilla Doom only has a certain number of images, or frames, that can be assigned to various monsters and items. Adding new frames means taking them away from somewhere else. Many small animations were sacrificed to make even the smooth weapons possible. There's simply no room to fit in any "smooth monsters." If you want smooth monsters, you'll have to turn to more advanced ports and mods, such as Smooth Doom for the Zdoom family. Under Vanilla Doom, it simply isn't possible.

Until Ling makes his version of dehacked with 200 extra blank states, that is. He mentioned it offhand as a potential project one time years ago but I’m still keen!

46 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Until Ling makes his version of dehacked with 200 extra blank states, that is.

Oh, it's a Dehacked limit? I'd always just assumed that it was an engine limitation.