Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Vanilla Doom smooth weapons

Recommended Posts

Help an uneducated guy out: what is the DEH necessary for? I can run the wad in Crispy and prboom+ just fine and it'll be the same with or without the DEH patch.

Share this post


Link to post

It’s for running in Doom2.exe and chocolate doom. The deh data must be stored in the wad itself if PrBoom is picking it up, but the vanilla exe needs to be edited which is what the deh is for.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Juza said:

Help an uneducated guy out: what is the DEH necessary for? I can run the wad in Crispy and prboom+ just fine and it'll be the same with or without the DEH patch.

A brief history lesson: long ago before the Doom source code was released, the only way to change behavior of things like monsters and weapon animations was by using a Dehacked patch (.deh file) that modified doom2.exe. Once the source was released, every source port added support for loading Dehacked files without needing to modify .exe files at all. So for example with PrBoom+ you can just run "prboom-plus -deh vsmooth.deh".

 

Most source ports have now also added the ability to embed .deh files inside .wad files as well - you just put it in your .wad as a lump named DEHACKED. So then there's only one file to load instead of two and it all becomes a lot simpler. vsmooth.wad includes vsmooth.deh in this way, but if you want to play under DOS with vanilla Doom you'll still need the original .deh file!

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, fraggle said:

Most source ports have now also added the ability to embed .deh files inside .wad files as well - you just put it in your .wad as a lump named DEHACKED. So then there's only one file to load instead of two and it all becomes a lot simpler. vsmooth.wad includes vsmooth.deh in this way, but if you want to play under DOS with vanilla Doom you'll still need the original .deh file!

I just recently found vsmooth on wadarchive because I needed a Boom compatible version of perk's smooth animations, is there any difference between this version linked in the OP and the one in WadArchive.com?

Share this post


Link to post

Fraggle, what's the deal? Why does this project still have the improper rocket launcher flash frames overlaid on the firing frames? It seems like, with how wonderful this project is at making vanilla compatible smooth weapons, it could at least fix the rocket launcher sprite. Maybe you could use frames from the minor sprite fix project?

 

Screenshot_Doom_20190104_195346.png.ef34958999bff704abdba1d70037904d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190104_195329.png.011be6ac2e744fad41f0d253ba4332d1.png

Share this post


Link to post

Hi @fraggle. Would it be possible to integrate the sprites from the neural upscale project into this mod? 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TR2N said:

Hi @fraggle. Would it be possible to integrate the sprites from the neural upscale project into this mod? 

 

I'm not fraggle, but I doubt it. Vanilla doesn't support sprite rescaling, so you'd end up with giant weapons (if the engine doesn't crash outright). Besides, the neural upscale project doesn't include the extra animation frames.

Share this post


Link to post

I have some issues with compatibility. I use glboom+ v2.5.1.3.

 

Pic 3: When I launch several wads including vsmooth.wad the game crashes after the first shot

glboom-plus 2019-01-30 20-20-25-38.png

glboom-plus 2019-01-30 20-20-55-62.png

glboom-plus.png

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, dmslr said:

I have some issues with compatibility. I use glboom+ v2.5.1.3.

 

Pic 3: When I launch several wads including vsmooth.wad the game crashes after the first shot

 

It might have to do with the "scythex.deh" file you're using. This mod already has a DeHackEd patch, and since it's borrowing frames from everywhere it's probably causing some conflicts.

Share this post


Link to post

This is dope!! Just enough. Love Smooth Doom but I'm not a huge fan of the GZDoom source port. Works beautifully with PrBoom+. Nice work man. I'll be using this all the time now.

Edited by NerdyButLazy

Share this post


Link to post

BTSX E2: http://esselfortium.net/wasd/btsx_e2_b3.zip (zip md5sum 8fe80a92320e1b5c43f1c03f1408a601).

Vanilla Doom Smooth Weapons: latest: https://soulsphere.org/random/vsmooth.zip (wad md5sum e18290734a363e98d0a43dc1d80556e5).

 

A pair of strange glitches:

 

GZDoom v4.1.1:

G1. If vsmooth.wad is loaded before BTSX wads, firing BFG9000 hurts the player.

G2. If BTSX wads are loaded before vsmooth.wad, a single shotgun frame appears during BFG9000 firing animation:

Spoiler

qh8iUxg.png

 

Prboom-Plus v2.5.1.5:

P1. PrBoom crashes: I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: Segmentation fault

P2. The same as G2.

 

This is probably a Dehacked conflict, but none of these glitches happens on BTSX E1.

Share this post


Link to post

E2's deh isn't identical to E1's, because it has at least one new thing, namely a duplicate zombieman that can trigger keenspecial stuff.

Share this post


Link to post

So glad you made a Vanilla compatible version of Smooth Animations, I can't play without it lol. 2 questions, 1. Is there any source port this WON'T work with? and 2. For Chocolate Doom, does the -merge vsmooth.wad -dehlump command have to be used EVERY time you start it with vsmooth.wad?

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, m8f said:

This is probably a Dehacked conflict, but none of these glitches happens on BTSX E1.

Thanks, yes - already aware of these clashes with BTSX E2. I haven't looked into a fix yet (it might be difficult to pull off).

 

On 5/9/2019 at 12:00 PM, Beezle said:

So glad you made a Vanilla compatible version of Smooth Animations, I can't play without it lol. 2 questions, 1. Is there any source port this WON'T work with? and 2. For Chocolate Doom, does the -merge vsmooth.wad -dehlump command have to be used EVERY time you start it with vsmooth.wad?

1. Not as far as I know

2. Latest builds of Chocolate Doom have an autoload feature and you can drop the WAD file and dehacked patch file into your autoload folder to have it load every time (I've done this myself)

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, fraggle said:

1. Not as far as I know

2. Latest builds of Chocolate Doom have an autoload feature and you can drop the WAD file and dehacked patch file into your autoload folder to have it load every time (I've done this myself)

Cool thanks Fraggle!

Share this post


Link to post

PKSGB0.png.dda400cb2cc29fdd48783a4697ae1030.pngPKSGC0.png.0b29a9516eb3b71c65a5e2d77d0d0dbe.png

 

@fraggle One problem with Smooth Doom has always been the tweening frames between the initial shotgun idle and reloading frames... it's not noticeable with Doom's original low animation count, but you really notice the jarring difference in the two when smoothed out. These two frames replace B&C shotgun frames that transition from idle to reload much smoother. I added them to my copy of vsmooth and thought I'd make them more available.

 

Edit: I also looked into the timing of the raw cat lawn chair to see why the muzzle flash didn't line up properly with the firing frames. I tweaked a couple tics and the muzzle flash is now perfectly timed with the sprites underneath without changing the duration of the fired rockets. If you paste this dehacked over the old one, it will fix the error. (note: This is the first time I have ever fired up something other than dehacked to edit a deh... I REALLY could have used whacked 20 years ago...) In case I messed up the dechacked, the frame timing for the muzzle flash states are 2/2/2/2/2 ... all 2s will set the correct flash timing.

DEHACKED.zip

 

Edit2: I was also trying to see why the firing for the Plasma rifle is off like so many people asked about... and I think it has to do with why @Linguica Selfie Doom worked. He mentioned the Plasma rifle being the only weapon with a randomized firing frame, so it might have messed up the original mechanics of the plasma rifle. The closest I came to replicating it without changing anything is just renaming Frame 958 - from PLSFC to PLSFF

Edited by Scuba Steve

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/29/2019 at 3:40 PM, Scuba Steve said:

Edit: I also looked into the timing of the raw cat lawn chair to see why the muzzle flash didn't line up properly with the firing frames. I tweaked a couple tics and the muzzle flash is now perfectly timed with the sprites underneath without changing the duration of the fired rockets. If you paste this dehacked over the old one, it will fix the error.

Posting the WAD with your DEHACKED fix just in case. Great work @fraggle and @perkristian!

vsmooth_rlfix.zip

Edited by Zodomaniac : Forgot to upload the file

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Hey, I noticed a problem when using this with PrBoom+. Sorry if this has been answered already, but I haven't found any information.

When playing with Bloodspeed (bdsp.wad) and this mod (vsmooth.wad), the pistol fires extra slow, and switching weapons from the chaingun is also extra slow - this is the case if I load vsmooth.wad BEFORE Bloodspeed. But if I load vsmooth.wad AFTER Bloodspeed, the weapons work just fine. I know it has something to do with the dehacked files conflicting, but that's all I know.

 

Should I just load vsmooth.wad after the PWAD from now on? or should I avoid using vsmooth.wad whenever I notice this conflict arising?

 

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I am using the Doom Sprite Fix mod also, which I load before vsmooth.

This problem doesn't occur when playing the original IWADs; I am testing out other custom maps now, and the pistol is fine, but switching from the chaingun to another weapon is much, much slower than it should be (sometimes, other maps work just fine)

Edited by Hard2Poop

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hard2Poop said:

Hey, I noticed a problem when using this with PrBoom+. Sorry if this has been answered already, but I haven't found any information.

When playing with Bloodspeed (bdsp.wad) and this mod (vsmooth.wad), the pistol fires extra slow, and switching weapons from the chaingun is also extra slow - this is the case if I load vsmooth.wad BEFORE Bloodspeed. But if I load vsmooth.wad AFTER Bloodspeed, the weapons work just fine. I know it has something to do with the dehacked files conflicting, but that's all I know.

  

Should I just load vsmooth.wad after the PWAD from now on? or should I avoid using vsmooth.wad whenever I notice this conflict arising?

 

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I am using the Doom Sprite Fix mod also, which I load before vsmooth.

This problem doesn't occur when playing the original IWADs; I am testing out other custom maps now, and the pistol is fine, but switching from the chaingun to another weapon is much, much slower than it should be (sometimes, other maps work just fine)

vsmooth actually modified and combined quite a large chunk of monster behavior (e.g merging monster and/or projectile states) to leave room for smooth weapon animations. So loading the mod with other Dehacked-heavy WADs (or other mods, for that matter) is ill-advised, but if you really wanted, best load it AFTER the mapset you play. I personally would also recommend you to read this bit in Doom Sprite Fix's .txt file:

Quote

A comprehensive collection of minor sprite fixes
                          for Doom 2 comprised of restored missing monster
                          angle rotations, art corrections, and adjusted
                          sprite offsets. Also includes a separate Doom 1/
                          Ultimate Doom-compatible version and optional minor
                          DeHackEd patch fixes. These files are compatible
                          with any custom Doom 2 or 1 add-ons, including demo
                          compatibility, as long as you load the following
                          WAD or DEH files with the lowest priority.

Which means in this case, the load order would be:

  • bdsp.wad
  • vsmooth.wad
  • D2SPFX19.wad
  • (optional) - the accompanying .deh file
Edited by TheNoob_Gamer : adding stuff

Share this post


Link to post

Ty. I'll just refrain from using vsmooth if I see a dehacked file in a map that changes frame duration, because I think that's what causes it.

I opened Bloodspeed in Slade, and there are these lines in the dehacked file:

Frame 780
Duration = 7

Frame 781
Duration = 7

Frame 782
Duration = 7

And vsmooth has similar lines of code in its dehacked file. I'll refrain from posting it because you get the idea.

 

Also:

8 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

vsmooth actually modified and combined quite a large chunk of monster behavior (e.g merging monster and/or projectile states) to leave room for smooth weapon animations

Yikes, is that as bad as it sounds? I've never had any desyncs occur when using vsmooth while playing demos I downloaded from Doom Speed Demos Archive

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hard2Poop said:

Yikes, is that as bad as it sounds? I've never had any desyncs occur when using vsmooth while playing demos I downloaded from Doom Speed Demos Archive

Nah, doing this is what make the mod works AND (mostly) demo-compatible in the first place. fraggle even mentions it in the OP - he used a custom Dehacked-based tool for this kind of technology.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm curious, what are the frames that Bloodspeed is modifying in its dehacked file? (Bloodspeed is a set of Boom-compatible maps from 2018)

How do I check what frames those are? or is that too technical to bother explaining to a noob?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hard2Poop said:

How do I check what frames those are? or is that too technical to bother explaining to a noob?

(I will update the post when I have more time investigating into the wad)

 

To properly examine .deh files, you need (SLADE 3 for extracting the "DEHACKED" lump from a wad;) WhackED 4 for viewing them (alternatively, you can use the original Dehacked 3.0 executable on DOS if you are archaic)

Spoiler

HOW TO EXTRACT A DEHACKED LUMP FROM A WAD:

  1. Open SLADE 3.
  2. Find the DEHACKED lump.
  3. Copy the "code", then paste them into a new text file (preferably .txt)
  4. Save that new file with whatever name you want, but the extension must be .deh

Then, open the .deh file (or the extracted DEHACKED lump). Adjust the patch settings (the patch format you can set to anything you want, just don't set to Vanilla because you are new in this) - remember to set the path to IWAD and bdsp.wad to view the sprites.

Go to the "States" section, then select the blank option in the drop down board. Now you can view the frame/state!

Sorry if my explanation was confusing.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×