Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
2's a party but 3 is a cro

How to make automatic pistol starts and backpacks give you all weapons using DECORATE?

Question

I am extremely new to doom modding, in fact I started today. I wanted to make a mod that made it so every time you start a new level you start at 100 health and armor, but only have the pistol. In return the demons drop weapons and ammo to compensate. I know how to make the demons drop ammo and weapons, but I don't know how to make it so every time you start a new map its back to square 1. I also wanted to make it so backpacks give you all the weapons because then it wouldn't be totally useless with the whole losing it when you end the level aspect. I have been using decorate and I wanted to know if you can achieve what i mentioned with it, and how

5 answers to this question

To enforce pistol starts, you can use ResetHealth and ResetInventory in MAPINFO map definition, but then you also have to provide map definitions for all maps, which isn't very suitable for a mod that's supposed to be usable with any mapset. Another way is to use an ACS library with a script that calls ClearInventory upon every map start, which I recommend. There might be a DECORATE-only solution, but it'd be hacky and more complicated than the ACS one.

To make a backpack that gives you weapons, create a CustomInventory item that gives you both a normal backpack and the weapons.

[as far as I know] You can't do it with Decorate ONLY. At least, you must to use the ZScript (which is kinda different from classic Decorate), and that means you need to understand ACS Scripting, just because all "pistol start" mods are uses simple ACS script.

Read more here

BTW, you can use this mod.

This has been done many times, though to my knowledge through ACS (and now zscript) instead of decorate. A literal search of "pistol start mod" will also turn up many results.

Here is my favorite implementation of the idea:

On 9/19/2018 at 8:31 AM, scifista42 said:

To enforce pistol starts, you can use ResetHealth and ResetInventory in MAPINFO map definition, but then you also have to provide map definitions for all maps, which isn't very suitable for a mod that's supposed to be usable with any mapset. Another way is to use an ACS library with a script that calls ClearInventory upon every map start, which I recommend. There might be a DECORATE-only solution, but it'd be hacky and more complicated than the ACS one.

To make a backpack that gives you weapons, create a CustomInventory item that gives you both a normal backpack and the weapons.

Alright thanks, I will try this out.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:30 AM, Fonze said:

This has been done many times, though to my knowledge through ACS (and now zscript) instead of decorate. A literal search of "pistol start mod" will also turn up many results.

Here is my favorite implementation of the idea:

I was originally going to use that but the download link is dead.