Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsumake

Will D3 run decent on my new laptop?

Hey Guys,

I know you guys have a million questions about requirements, so I'll try to keep it short. I just recently got an Alienware Area-51m laptop, 2.4 Ghz, 512 ram, Mobility 7500 w/64 megs. Will this system run Doom 3 decently? I got a laptop because lugging a desktop from college in a pain in the arse, especially when theres a couple thousand mile difference (CT to NE). I'm aiming to run this game at 640x480, since I want all the graphical goodies and don't mind jaggies that much. Thanks.

BTW... did you know that you can actually upgrade Alienware laptops? If you send in your laptop, they'll replace the mobo, Gfx card, ram, etc for a reduced price (other than buying a whole new comp). The Alienware rep recommended that I buy this comp now and just upgrade later, for it would be cheaper that way. Did anybody else know this? I'm quite surprised.

You can't go wrong with all that RAM and CPU power. Not sure about the 7500 though... Don't have any experience with it but I'm guessing you'll have to turn some options down to play smooth in 640x480. But then again, I've been know to talk out of my ass.

No. Your system will not run Doom 3 decently.

The crux of the problem is your video card. Don't get me wrong, I love ATI. But the 7500 is a quick hack to an old chipset - the R100 chipset just isn't going to cut it anymore. Besides that, it doesn't support the primary neat-o factor of Doom 3 in hardware, so with "everything" enabled, you probably either A) still won't get the full effect, or B) will get HORRIBLE framerates due to CPU-based emulation of the lacking hardware.

Call Alienware and see if you can upgrade to a Mobility Radeon 9000. That'll run Doom 3 playably, with all the eyecandy supported in hardware.

Katarhyne said:

Call Alienware and see if you can upgrade to a Mobility Radeon 9000. That'll run Doom 3 playably, with all the eyecandy supported in hardware.

I suggest that you wait until Doom 3 has gone gold before getting a new graphics card.