Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

How reliable are those mirrors for multiplayer wads?

You know, the kinds of places that zandronum will download wads from that you're missing... I have a 1.3tb backup of most of those servers but it's starting to get out of date (and 99% of them are duplicates compared to just having all the wads in the one folder) - I know static.allfearthsentinel (or was it static.bestever?) went down for a long time which caused a lot of trouble.  Even with all this I'm missing about 10,000 wads as dogsoft has 40,000 listed, but it seems like they don't share their actual directory.

I find dogsoft to be an unreliable source. It often gives me bad wads to join servers, meaning I have to then delete the wad and find a different source for the correct one, even with recent releases, which is a pain in the ass.

BestEver went down after the events of this thread but AFTS picked up most of that background. Some of it seems to be lost, as recently another player was looking for the completed rocket jump extreme remastered edition, and nobody could find it, though it was supposedly on BE.

Use wadseeker and getwad's search functions to find the mirrors they are drawing from, most of them are still fine.

13 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Give me all the rocket jump WADs! ;-)

So basically all the ones that start with rj?

1 hour ago, Decay said:

I find dogsoft to be an unreliable source. It often gives me bad wads to join servers, meaning I have to then delete the wad and find a different source for the correct one, even with recent releases, which is a pain in the ass.

BestEver went down after the events of this thread but AFTS picked up most of that background. Some of it seems to be lost, as recently another player was looking for the completed rocket jump extreme remastered edition, and nobody could find it, though it was supposedly on BE.

Use wadseeker and getwad's search functions to find the mirrors they are drawing from, most of them are still fine.

I think I still have all their stuff, I noticed they include all the ftp/idgames levels, and taking that into account I have as many as them if not more.  Too bad that uni no longer has 2tb of onedrive storage free... might look into hosting them myself.